TV/Streaming for guests in Australia

Gregg70
Level 2
Cambewarra, Australia

TV/Streaming for guests in Australia

We have a couple TVs with HDMI connectors and are trying to figure out the best option for guests.
As most people have their own streaming accounts we thought we’d include in the note to guests before their stay, that they might want to bring their own devices to connect (e.g. Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku…) and remind them to not forget to disconnect and pack them at the end of the stay. No doubt from time to time ppl will forget and we’ll post them back.
Has anyone else had other approaches and what pros and cons have you find with what you’re doing?
I’ve also heard that Roku devices have a “guest mode” that allows people to enter their own streaming passwords, which can then be removed if they forget at the end of their stay.  That seems a great option for Airbnb’s, but I’m not sure if this has been implemented in Australia, so would love to hear if any Aussie hosts have tried this.

5 Replies 5
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Gregg70  I looked into the Roku device and they are still USA devices, i'm not sure if they'll have other quirks or will work just fine (you'll need an adaptor plug). We have a smart TV and just leave our netflix and stan logged in. We don't get many who watch TV and i need to do something in the way of education as the last guest couldn't work out the remote, and previous guests wanted me to do tech support helping them connect their Nintendo Switch devices.... and they pulled out the aerial and other cords... We only have TV in one of our 3 farm listings, and it's generally more trouble than it's worth!

Thanks, Gillian166. Our property is on the beach, so the TV (presumably) gets used mainly in poor weather.  Up until now guests have never had an issue, but we recently had a couple who’s feedback was that lack of streaming options was sorely missed.  Roku has launched in Australia, and I’ve gone ahead and ordered one to test it out.  Fingers crossed!  Thanks for the benefit of your experience with guests.

@Gregg70 good to know about Roku. the other thing that is a bit of an issue for us is the internet. we aren't on fibre so it's satellite, we have the best plan available but if we had everyone streaming.... that would be a killer. I guess at some point we'll have to install a second modem/second plan if we put a TV in our cottage. For now we roll with the "digital detox" concept, most people do claim they come up to the farm to de-stress. and maybe that means TV for some, but i think we all know nature is the best medicine for de-stressing, not a screen. 

Sammy-L-0
Level 10
Whitesburg, KY

We have a Roku TV in our listing and use guest mode. It works great.

Sam
The Historic Mountain View

Thanks, Sam.  I’ve taken advantage of Black Friday and ordered one, as they’re now supported in Australia.  Fingers crossed that it’s a welcome addition for guests!