To hot tub or not to hot tub, this is my question

Anita368
Level 2
Sechelt, Canada

To hot tub or not to hot tub, this is my question

Hello Host Community.  

I have loved Air bnb as a guest for many years and now I have purchased a home in Nova Scotia, Canada to open as an air bnb.   People are giving me advice, and I am listening and learning.  My question to you, who are experts now in your field of hosting is, " Should I invest in a hot tub?"  What are the pros and cons, does it make a difference for successful bookings?  I am looking for any advice, ( I have been taking notes from other discussion streams).  The property is available in May 2019, so I have time to plan. 

Anita

30 Replies 30
Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

I wouldn't. Too much clean up, damage and potential problems that will not be worth it and cause headaches. Plus extra maintenance to clean water, filter-- not to mention the high utility costs to keep it running. 

Thank you Andreas and Anna,

I appreciate your feedback!  As this is my first year I would like to concentrate my funds on other areas of the home and hosting.   Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.

Anita

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If you get bookings without it, don't. But if your area/situation depends on ''hot tub tourism'', you could consider it. I am sure you will hear from hosts who have gone down this route. I put in a still bath, no spa.  A spa has to be filled to higher than the jets and run each clean to make sure nothing is in the jets, so I don't even want one of those. But put in a bath, make it handsome, guests can soak. Put it outside if you like, give it a view, whatever takes your fancy. It will be easier than a hot tub or spa, no matter what you choose to do to it!

Hello Sandra,

You are correct about the hot tub tourism,  I would expect that in a ski area for example.  The property is very close to the water, so I will encourage enjoying that aspect of their experience!  The property has a jet tub, so your comments have made me think I better have a " how to " on the wall of the tub to ensure guests do not use the tub incorrectly ( I can't really take it out for now, but something to look at in the future).

Thank you, Sandra, for responding to my question!

Anita

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

No way. Another source of trouble

- guests will use more towels

- if cover not closed then you are basically running the heater endlessly $$

- if guests spill drinks etc into it then very difficult to clean water

- if over used causes skin issues, also then hard to shock it back or replace water all over again (300-500 gal)

Hello Pete,

I agree, all very good points.  It is another responsibility for potentially poor ROI. 

Thank you, everyone, you have helped me decide on NO!

Anita

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Anita368 There was a hot tub already in place when I bought my home so I decided to offer it as an amenity, as the courtyard it is in is attached to the suite I rent out. I went over how to use and care for it properly during my in-person house / amenities tour; I also had a 'cheat sheet' for the same purposes for guests to read if they did a self check-in. Out of a 160 guests, only two misused it (nothing catastrophic, but did need to drain and refill), and it brought us a lot of bookings, i.e., guests said they found our place via the 'hot tub' filter available for searches. We do keep it meticulously clean, and we do complete drains and refills often, but it only takes a few hours. 

So, as others have said, above, if it will give you a needed competitive edge in your area, it can be worth the trouble and additional expense (chemicals, electricity, time). 

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for your feedback and advice.  I will definitely keep this in the back of my mind.  I think for the moment I will keep the upkeep simple since it is my first year.  I am unsure what the costs will be and  how much I will generate in income this year.  I will invest in a photographer and a decorator to help stage the house.  Once I have some income and a better idea on my budget I could revisit the hot tub idea.   

Thank you everyone for your honest advice.  I am really very thankful for your help!

Anita

Shelley171
Level 2
Charlottetown, Canada

Hi Anita,

I'm in PEI and just started an airbnb last fall.  We just purchased a hot tub this winter and it will be installed at our cottage rental in the next month or so.  I have spoken to my hot tub vendor about all the work of draining the tub weekly at a minimum and ideally after each set of guests check out.  It will definitely be work but hopefully worth it in the end.  I will let you know how it goes after this season.

Shelley

@Shelley171  Draining and refilling it after each guests?  Yikes.  That seems like a lot of unnecessary water waste.

Yes, I agree Mark.  Here on PEI many people do weekly rentals, however, I have chosen to do a 3 day minimum in the summer months.  So I will possibly drain weekly depending on usage.  If people don't use it, I will just keep the water clean with the chemicals for as long as possible.  Otherwise, I will drain as I need to.  

Hi Shelley

just wondering if how successful the hot tub was for your rental! We would live an update!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Anita368   I wouldn't either.  We actually do have a hot tub, but don't allow guest access any more.  We did in the beginning, but took it off the listing after a guest complained and gave us three stars on accuracy because it was not ready the day we had opened it for the season.  It has not affected our bookings in the least.  Save yourself the money and trouble!  😉

Did you place a lock on the cover or locked the room? I want to keep the hot tub but don't want guests to use it.  It is now to expensive to maintain.