[UK] Airbnb Energy Efficiency Actions

Louise493
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

[UK] Airbnb Energy Efficiency Actions

While as a Host I applaud the launch of Airbnb's Energy Efficiency Actions Fund, to collaborate with Hosts to find and support solutions  to preserve energy in our Airbnb homes, I am unsure what Airbnb is doing to educate guests? This is because, for all the will in the world, no amount of 'solutions' is going to stop guests leaving all the lights in the apartment burning day and night, or whacking up the central heating to the max and leaving it on all day like that, while they are out. For example, we recently had a group who lost their key after a big night out, so we drove at 5am in the morning to let them in, only to find the lights on in every room (and they had been out since 8pm the previous evening). In winter, we always arrive to stifling hot houses that have to be aired before they can be cleaned because it's like a sauna in the apartments. We leave signs up asking for consideration re the bills, but most generally don't care, as they are not their bills. (I should add, yes we have installed a spare key box outside the apartment now). I'm just curious to know if other Hosts have any ideas to combat the way guests use our utilities, which are costing us money. We have even considered 'mothballing' the apartments for a few months over winter, which we've never had to consider before. Many thanks, Louise

23 Replies 23

@Louise493 

You can check to see if your thermostat is compatible here. 

https://store.google.com/us/widget/compatibility/thermostat?pli=1

They work with wide range of regular type thermostats. Its easy to connect one yourself with the step by step instructions. Also just phone customer support which is really good and they will walk you through it step by step. You might even call them to see if its compatible. 

Instructions say to make sure to take a picture of the wires. Most thermostats can be configured to a wide range of heating or cooling application from furnaces, air conditioners, to heat pumps with auxiliary heating. Mine was a heat pump with aux heating.

For me the only mistake on the first time setting it up was the aux heat wire. But heat pumps have gotten so efficient that the aux heat didn't try to kick in until it got below freezing, then simply called back CS and the next tech had me send him a pic of the back and had me move one wire and all was good.

I highly recommend the Nest. I got the more expensive self learning one because it was more compatible, and turned off all the self learning features. The app is quite simple and intuitive. For example you don't want it heating up or down depending on if your phone is close by, so just check off that option, etc. You can still set schedules for times of day if you want. 

Although if the less expensive one has the options you need might also consider that. 

Yes I've seen where other host also like the Nest. 

Maybe the little sensor in the apartment also helps keep guest from turning it way up or down. I also try to have it very comfortable when they check in so they don't have to adjust it and even message them, and include what the temp range is in listing description. In the instructions say to only adjust a few degrees at a time.  

But I also agree that it would be helpful if Airbnb could set some guidelines. Although I'm not in a cold climate. For the same reason you wouldn't want guest to turn off heat when its below freezing, I wouldn't want them to turn off AC when they check out. I keep hearing that host expect guest to turn off everything when they aren't there. Get LED bulbs and just try to get them to keep it a reasonable temp. If not they will end up turning all the way up or down if they are hot or cold. 

Hope that helps! Feel free to tag me with any follow ups! Good luck! 

@Louise493 we have fitted lockable covers to our thermostats. Haven't had any reviews since but, t one honest, if we do get bad reviews and it puts the people off who want to set the heating at 30 degree then so be it.

Adam201
Level 2
Draycott in the Clay, United Kingdom

Hi Louise,

I can also recommend the Nest thermostats, I have one of them at home and they are controllable from your phone via wi-fi, so you can adjust the heat from anywhere in the world. 

At our holiday let we have a hot tub, which guests frequently forget to replace the lid when they get out for the evening. I have now fitted a BWA Spa wi-fi unit to that too and I warn the guests that if they leave the lid open that the hot tub will send me an alarm and it will go into 'rest' mode and will be cold in the morning, it doesn't - I keep an eye on the temperature after 10:30pm and turn it down if they have obviously left it uncovered!

Fortunately we installed a biomass boiler some years ago, under the renewable heat incentive scheme, so until very recently we've not had to worry too much about the heating / hot water bills, but the was in Ukraine has meant that the price of wood pellets has gone up by 350% since March!.

Has anyone that applied for the Airbnb’s Sustainable Hosting Plan grant heard anything recently? I had an e-mail back from the Energy Saving Trust back on the 8th November saying they were considering my fast track application (as we already had a quote for an EV charger, a 5kw solar array and a Tesla Powerwall), but have heard nothing since.

Good luck,

Adam

Rachel2330
Level 2
Molesey, United Kingdom

I’m also keen to hear about anyone who has had any answers at all from the Sustainable Hosting fund. I’ve tried to follow the instructions about registering interest etc but have had ZERO response so far. 

Ralph78
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Rachel,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get any communication to both my application to the airbnb fund (don't even know if my application is in the system) and a return email with answers to questions from the Energy savings trust that seems to be running for airbnb. 

@Ralph78 ditto. The emails go into a black hole I am afraid.

Thanks. I've found this before. The automation side of Airbnb works well (bookings and payments) but when it comes to having to handle a complaint or an issue its very superficial and there appears no depth to the organisation. it's a shame because on the surface all the right notes are played but not always are there actions being the tones.

Cheers anyway

@Ralph78 @Rachel2330 Having heard nothing for weeks I was sent a document yesterday to sign and a letter was immediately issued with a £3000 grant. So the black hole mentioned above seems to have been filled in for me at least.

Marie7862
Level 2
Galgate, United Kingdom

I'm the same, was I supposed to get a quote through to airb and b. I just completed an online form in Nov or Dec and have heard nothing. Not sure if I should have done anything else. I just haven't heard anything back!