WIFI guest connect problem.

Jozie2
Level 2
Port Alberni, Canada

WIFI guest connect problem.

Technical issue of connecting to my network. I suffered embarrassment while trying to provide as much quality of hospitality service as possible. WiFi service for guests is failing me, especially when I have guests from Germany or Asia. I am looking for someone with similar problem occurrence who may have remedy of situation.

The Problem:

My modem is set for 2.4G frequency, 5G speed is disabled, guest login has password, 3 devices connect permitted. After guests arrive, one device connects, but all fail to connect after a while. Any consequent attempts to connect are not possible after that point. Modem reset won't fix it. Strangely, I will not be able to access Modem management screen (address to modem), all blocked, from any browser, any device, tabletop etc...  After guests leave property for day outing, suddenly I am able to login to modem management, all looks ok, wifi guest account works fine. They come back and we are back to failed connections. So far it looks like guests phones are blocking something, mostly European and Asian guests devices.

I work around by providing bridge to my phone, but that means I cant use internet myself and must stay close. Is there any other remedy to this?  And curious what it is, that causes this connection interference?

Any experience?

Thank you kindly....

4 Replies 4
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Have you contacted your service provider? @Jozie2 

No contact of service provider possible, for obvious reasons. 😉

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

As @Sudsrung0 has mentioned, the best bet might be contacting your ISP. They can log into your router and find out what's wrong or potentially causing the issue. 

Hopefully, other Hosts that have experienced similar issues see this post, and jump in and offer suggestions as well. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jozie2  You may need to enable the 5G guest frequency.  A lot of devices will no longer function on the 2.4 frequency, and if the person brings a device that will "bounce" between the available frequencies, they may never connect successfully.  I recently had a similar issue when visiting my brother-in-law.  My phone refused to stay connected to the 2.4, and I had to set the phone to "forget" the 2.4 Wifi connection before it would successfully connect to the 5G Wifi.  

If you don't want to talk to your service provider for their advice, enabling the 5G may solve your problem.  Good luck!