bed options for a small efficiency

Tiffany108
Level 1
Orlando, FL

bed options for a small efficiency

We are remodeling our pool house and will be renting it out for travelers very soon. I'm in the process of researching bed options for our small space (400 sq ft one room efficiency) and wondering what experience other hosts have when it comes to this situation. 

Is it a Murphy? Sectional sofa bed? Or full time bed?

I know for me personally I would prefer a sofa sectional. Something that still looks like a couch, that I can relax on like a could but that I can also sleep on. And of course understanding that most people aren't going to turn their bed back into a sofa  all the time.

I would REALLY LOVE to hear other opinions and guidance on the matter before making this choice.

Thanks in advance Airbnb!

3 Replies 3
Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

Hi @Tiffany108 

I would strongly suggest a full time bed. Anything mechanical is going to get broken. And sofas are not made for sleeping on all the time. 400 sq.ft. is not too small for a queen or if you are only renting to one person a single I guess but really there is room if you lay it out carefully. I've stayed in much smaller. To me a comfy place to sleep is number one and a "proper" bed is a must.

Other opinions may vary!! 😀

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Tiffany108  I'm getting too old to consider paying to sleep on a sofa bed. 😅  if you're aiming your listing purely at the 20-somethings and doing something very cool, they might well think it's fine. 

you might consider building the bed into the space, so you can minimise the footprint and with clever shelving & lighting reduce the need for bedside tables. Although I don't recco butting one side of the bed against a wall, no one likes that. Pinterest will be your place to go for inspo 🙂 

good luck, sounds fab!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tiffany108  I highly recommend going with a queen size bed.  While a sectional sofa bed would be great for your own use (because you are more caring than the average person) you will find that people will not make the sofa up properly and will just sleep on it sans sheets.  Eeew.

Murphy beds are also cool, but people will pull it down the wrong way, especially if there is a support leg to pull out.  My son-in-law broke the murphy bed in our camper...very hard to do, but he managed.  I have also had to replace several futon frames (wood and metal) over the years.  

Think about your time too -- how easy is it going to be to make up a Murphy bed, a futon, a sofa bed, etc.