check-in experience - where to leave the keys

Answered!
Paulina263
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

check-in experience - where to leave the keys

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about your experience.

Some guests complain about their check-in experience. I would like to improve it, but I have no idea how.

I live in an old building in Berlin, I host people during my absence, e.g. when I go on holiday. Since people tend to come on different times and I cannot be present, I want to leave them keys somewhere. I thought about several options:

1. My neighbour - which is hard. Guests tend to be late and the neighbour has personal plans.

2. I thought about smart box /sharebox/keynest. The problem is that some locations are closed in the night or on Sunday, so I have to pick a place which is a bit further. The guest complains it is 20 min walking distance.

Sometimes they comment it is hard to get a key. I offer to open the box, once they are in place but I realised they provide different tel number to airbnb

3. I wanted to leave the keys in the lock box at the door, but we have a huge gate in front of the building that is locked now. I have no idea how to solve the problem with getting to the building (huge gate). 

I have no idea how to solve such problem. The check-in instruction is provided to guests who book. What bothers me is that they do not tell anything when they have a problem. 

1 Best Answer
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Paulina263 

the best option would be to leave it in a lock box attached to the gate. Make sure you make a lot of extra key copies as people will loose/forget and still have a set with a neighbor just in case.

If you can not do this, it become all about expectatoins.

Make it very clear in your listing what you are doing, and once guests book send something like "thank you for booking! Pleaes remember that they key is at a lock box 20 min from the property so please plan arrival time accordingly" or something like that.

My houses have a number of quorks and I find once it is very clear in the listing, not only I do not get complaints, people comment in reviews how not of a big deal it is.

For example, I have a train running immediatly behind one.I put it in two places in the listing and marked it off as potential for noise. Most people now comment on how it is only adding local charm. Yes, once a year someone mentions it but usually those are the people who are unhappy about everything.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paulina263 I fear our method of leaving the keys under a flowerpot won't work for you. Sorry I have no other ideas other than restricting your check in times so you can be there

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. have a local cohost when you are absent. 

2. Restrict your check in times to when you/your local host are available so you can hand over keys in person/use a key cafe

TJ53
Level 3
Aurora, CO

Is there any way at all that you can install a keypad? It has been a lifesaver for me! I have had one from the day I started hosting. I can set codes that are good for specified dates. I have a friend that did the realtor type lock boxes near each door. She did have a couple instances where guests forgot to return the keys resulting in the expense of changing the locks. Key pads are amazing and easy. 

If you have a locked front gate you would need to provide a key to that. Is it possible to leave one in a lockbox near the gate? Also, it is helpful to provide photos for each step of the check in experience. 

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

TJ

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Paulina263 

the best option would be to leave it in a lock box attached to the gate. Make sure you make a lot of extra key copies as people will loose/forget and still have a set with a neighbor just in case.

If you can not do this, it become all about expectatoins.

Make it very clear in your listing what you are doing, and once guests book send something like "thank you for booking! Pleaes remember that they key is at a lock box 20 min from the property so please plan arrival time accordingly" or something like that.

My houses have a number of quorks and I find once it is very clear in the listing, not only I do not get complaints, people comment in reviews how not of a big deal it is.

For example, I have a train running immediatly behind one.I put it in two places in the listing and marked it off as potential for noise. Most people now comment on how it is only adding local charm. Yes, once a year someone mentions it but usually those are the people who are unhappy about everything.