providing above basic plastic kitchen utensils

providing above basic plastic kitchen utensils

I really value being on the receiving end when I vacation AirBnB of having not super cheap kitchen utensils ........ so in my AirBnb I strive to offer more metal vs. plastic utensils along with a variety so people can really cook.   

However, when the $10 wooden spatula and $10 cheese plane, and steak knives  'walk off' I become less eager to purchase them again for the kitchen.   What have others experienced ?    

At what point does the host say, 'this isn't the cost of doing business' , 'delighting my guests' is eating into my profit  !   ? 

The $10 kitchen gadgets in my mind aren't enough to rate a guest 'down' at the onsey , twosey rate.... so if the rest of the place is left decent and intact, we call it a success & 5 stars ??

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tiffin13 Sadly I think we do need to accept a level of wear/tear from guests. We often (probs every 3 or 4 stays on average) have to throw sheets or towels away due to staining. I think theft is different and certainly more annoying. We don't mark down for stained sheets but would for theft as long as we were sure which guest removed the items. Unless you leave a low star review the guest won't even notice it as their score is only given to 1 decimal place.

Thanks for reply!  Makes sense .
(We’ve  experienced the same on wear and tear .  )

@Mike-And-Jane0  and guests only get scored on the half points, so 5, 4.5, 4, 3. 5.... so a guest who has a cleanliness of 4. 5 might actually be at 4.1 (because I find it hard to believe they do anything but round up for guests), and hosts are generally pretty forgiving, so anyone who is at 4 or lower must have been quite bad in the past. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Tiffin13  we have a boujie listing, a rustic listing, and one in between. I put brand name items in the boujie one but the other two are mostly ikea in the kitchen, with a few nicer pieces I picked up on sale (or in op shops). k-mart and ikea do great kitchenwear and if it's broken I don't care. 

Thank you for the feedback 🙂