Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

A world of idioms!

pablo (12).png

Hello everyone,

I hope you are well.

Today I thought we could discuss idioms, as I am sure that many of you use them on a daily basis, I've definitely spotted a few here in the CC!

In our office, I am lucky to work with colleagues who speak different languages and it makes it very interesting to exchange idioms with each other.

Below are the different idiomatic ways of describing 'heavy rain' in a few languages :-).

English: It's raining cats and dogs
German: Es regnet in Strömen (It's raining in currents)
Spanish: Llueve a cántaros (It's raining in jugfuls) 
Italian: Piove a catinelle (It's raining like from basins)
Dutch: Het regent pijpestelen (It's raining pipe stems)
French: Il pleut comme une vache qui pisse (It's raining like a cow that's weeing) 
Greek: Brékhei kareklopódara (It's raining chair legs)
Polish: Jak z cebra (It's raining like from a wooden bucket)
Portuguese: Está chovendo a cântaros (It's raining jugs)

I think it's really interesting how often we use idioms when talking to each other. If you know some idioms (in any language), it would be great if you could share them here as it'd be fun to learn some new ones!

I look forward to seeing your answers!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

111 Replies 111
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emily352,

Nice to meet you :-). 

What do you think of this one?  

Italian: "Piove a catinelle Piove a dirotto Piove che Dio la manda" - It's raining like from basins. 

(Correct me if I'm wrong) 

-----

It’s correct, @Quincy. Ahahah! It’s raining cats and dogs.

What do you think of this one?

Italian: Meglio un uovo oggi che una gallina domani = better an egg today than a hen tomorrow

American english: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Quincy mi ha offerto 60.000 dollari per comprare la mia Ferrari Testarossa. Qualcun altro potrebbe pagarla di più, ma meglio un uovo oggi che una gallina domani.

Quincy has offered to buy my Ferrari Testarossa for 60,000 US dollars. Someone else might pay more, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Emily352

Nom se deve mai mettere tutti uovi in la stessa cosa de portare! 🙂
Non mi ricordo come si parli "basket" in Italiano.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha, nice one @Emily352!

What about this one?

Mettere una pulce nell'orecchio - to put a flea in somebody's ear = to raise a doubt/suspicion

-----

The proverb "To put a flea in somebody'r ear" is exactly the same in italian, like this other one:

Un uccellino me lo ha detto = a little bird told me

A little bird told me where I might find you.

Italian = Non mettere tutte le uova nello stesso cesto = basket

American english = Don’t put all your eggs in one basket, @J-Renato0

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Non è possibile fare una frittata senza rompere le uova!

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!

Still about eggs, it is not an idiom, but one of the great misteries of the world!

Cosa è stato creato di prima? Lo uovo o la gallina?

What came first? The egg or the chicken?

"Thick as thieves."   To be a very close group, everyone watching out for the others.

The topic of chickens reminded me of this one... I have some pet chickens and now a baby goose--they all watch out for each other, sleep together.  This is the way I refer to them.

As for the chicken or the egg... I suspect that's a bit of a spiritual question, but I do love the eggs!

Best,

Kim

GOOD ONE EMILY MY GRANDMOTHER WOULD SAY THIS ALMOST EVERYDAY THANKS BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES!!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Dimitri0,

What do you think of this idiom? 

German: Es regnet/gießt Schusterjungs - It's raining/pouring shoemakers? 🙂 

-----

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy this must be a very local version from a specific region, because this is the first time I'm hearing this. 😄

In German the most commen idiom about rain would be: "Es regnet in Strömen." – It's raining in currents.

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

@Dimitri0, does this mean that it is a very hard rain?   (I don't know the real word for Strömen.)

Kim
Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54 yeah, basically it means it's pouring down.

Do you also know idioms in German?

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

@Dimitri0, yes, some.  'Blink of the eye' is exactly the same in American Englis = in a very quick moment/instant.  I absolutely love the German site on AirBnB.  They are so kind and supportive... they make 'us' (on this site) seem like trolls. 😞

With all of 'my' languages, I come back up to speed the more I use them.  I've only 'lurked' on the German site because my spelling is atrocious... super fun language, and linked to so many others it makes getting around very easy, even if you're half-faking it! ;-)))   And of course, comprehension is always easier than expression.

Kim
Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh @Kimberly54 thank you for checking the German CC, what a nice compliment. You are always welcome to come over and join the conversations. 🙂

How many languages do you speak or let's say understand?