And now for something entirely different!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

And now for something entirely different!!

My wife Adrienne and I met on a blind date….we weren’t paired with each other but, the moment I saw her I knew, the rest of my life would be with her hand in mine. That was 47 years ago!

We only got to have 5 years before the Multiple Sclerosis set in, and I think, that probably made a man of me! We went to the MS support group meetings and the thing that struck me was, the number of single sufferers!! As soon as the partner finds out what the problem is, they ‘urinate’ off to greener pastures, and I vowed and declared I would never do that…I would never leave this woman who I loved so much in the lurch.

We have worked with it and have had some wonderful years, in fact they have probably been more wonderful because of the MS! When a disaster like this comes along you realise that, ‘things’ come and go…… but, memories are forever, and you turn your life around and make it count. The MS becomes that ‘glue that keeps the bond between you strong!

But we always knew this **bleep** of a disease would get the better of her in the end and as each year goes by it gets harder. She no longer has the use of her legs and everything that happens around here starts and ends with me.

But the reason for this post is not to engender sympathy….quite the opposite! I have a wonderful balance in my life and Airbnb has (in part) been responsible for that! There is that part of my life which I am expected to do….and I mean that in the nicest way, but when you look after someone who is disabled you do what you have to do…and if that means cleaning them after they have been to the toilet…..you do it!

But there is also that part of my life which I am appreciated for…my volunteering work and my chance to be part of you…the Community forum. It gets me away from my issues….it gives me another life and gives me a chance to help others with theirs.

I may appear ignorant and pompous at times but what I do here on this forum gives me yet more of a wonderful perspective on life and I try to carry that through into my hosting. I take every day as a gift because that’s what it is.

Thank you all for allowing me to be part of this….as much as I think I might be helping, the forum is helping me….cheers…..Rob

1 Reply 1
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Robin4, thank you so much for sharing your feeling with us all. It is an incredible story of love and it's wonderful to hear you met on a blind date - how exciting! I know it is not always easy to share personal things and it really brings me a lot of joy to hear you get so much from being a part of the Community.

We have been speaking here since the CC first launched and I always enjoy speaking with you, your positivity and your great stories. I still remember your possum story very early on when you first joined the CC, many months ago now! 🙂

Thank you again and here's to more happy times together, for both you and you family, and you and your global community family here. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.