Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you planning your winter vacation?

Winter vacation 2.0.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well!

As most of us are preparing for the holidays to come, I was wondering if any of you have been planning to go for a winter vacation. Or maybe now that you've had a busy season, you are planning to take a break until the festive season starts? Here in the UK, most people plan their holiday to escape winter so that they can spend their time somewhere in a warm climate. I used to go for a winter vacation with my family, and the destination would usually be Germany or Austria because of the great skiing facilities. I acknowledge that every one of us is living in a different climate, so perhaps you'll be doing some waterskiing instead?

I have no winter vacation booked for this year, but if you have any recommendations, please let me know 🙂

I would love to hear your plans!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

18 Replies 18
Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

This is my first holiday season with Airbnb. I have my calendar blocked for the days immediately preceding and following the major ones, to spend with family. We won't be traveling as most of our family are within a few miles.

Since I am located very close to a major highway, I'm hoping to host a few interesting people during the holiday season. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin129,

Nice to meet you!

It's lovely to hear that you're going to spend some time with your family. I have a family dinner planned for December. Is there anything specific that you will be doing with your family?

-----

Nice to meet you as well, Quincy! There are no big plans. I always cook a large dinner Christmas Eve. When my sons were young I decided Christmas Day was for staying home. We always visited family on Christmas Eve or a few days before. Once my sons grew up, I started cooking Christmas Eve and inviting family to our house.

The family is maturing and some of our traditions are shuffling. My mom passed last year, and my dad would rather stay home. My son will come home but spends most of his time visiting extended family, and friends. My niece and her children have begun cooking dinner at their house. So I am now down to having dinner for my husband, my son if he is home, my mother-in-law and her sister. 🙂 

I still cook enough for a small platoon so if you are in the neighborhood you can stop in. 🙂 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Quincy

Henry and I have been hosting mostly exchange students so we have had long-term guests during the school semesters (Mar~Jun/Sept~Dec). We also had a month-long guest for the summer semester in July and one short-term guest in August and while we enjoy hosting we also understand the need and importance of having down time to relax and step away from hosting responsibilities so we decided to take a break during winter and will be spending a full week at the sunny beaches of Boracay in January 🙂 

We've achieved an 80% occupancy rate for 2017 with only 4 guests which is way better than we initially hoped for and we are already booked for mid Feb~end of Jun 2018, another exchange student guest. Henry and I will be using the income we've earned from hosting to pay for this well-deserved vacation. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jessica-and-Henry0,

I hope you're both well :-). 

We all need a break sometimes! I've been checking out Boracay on Google, and it's incredible! It reminds me of Curaçao (where I was born). I'm also very curious from which countries your exchange students are coming from? 

-----

@Quincy

Our exchange student guests were from the U.S., Singapore, and France. Next guest is German 🙂 We are loving the cultural diversity!!!

Henry and I have been to Boracay 2 times in the past 4 yrs.... we also visit other destinations but after a while we miss the beaches at Boracay and end up wanting to go there again.

Hope you have a great day~!!

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Quincy We love the holidays! We rent our home up in the mountains of Colorado and run away for a few weeks. People love to come to Breckenridge area around this time for excellent skiing and a white Christmas. We however love the beach. It's a win win to allow others to experience our home this tme of year. Hopefully we book out completely again. Anyone needing a white Christmas is welcome to stay and play with us!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Colleen47!

That sounds great! 

Is there a specific location where you will be celebrating your holidays? It's funny that you mention snow, as I have been telling @Lizzie how much I would like for London to be covered in some snow! 

-----

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Quincy, I too think it would be amazing to have some snow over the festive period...I think you might have to cross both you fingers and toes quite a lot though, because over the past few year it has been pretty warm around this time. You never know really what the weather in the UK will do though, so there is still a chance. 

We usually get some snow in February, so maybe we could push the festive season back a couple of months!! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Quincy We are headed to Mexico! Our Colorado home is prime for rental over the holidays and skiing. Unfortunately we had a few guests cancel but are hoping Christmas will rebook. Fingers crossed. Our house is great for groups of friends or family to celebrate together yet still retain their space. Additionally it is close to public transportation all ski areas shopping and restaurants. 

BedandStay0
Level 3
Tokyo, Japan

@Quincy in my case, I just started on Airbnb and I am hoping to have guests during this time in Japan.

If you have no plans, why don't you come to Japan with your family or friends I will be very happy to have you.

- - - - Planning to visit Tokyo, check my listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21581868 - - -

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @BedandStay0,

Nice to meet you!

How is hosting working out for you? A couple of months ago my partner mentioned visiting Japan sometime as she has a relative living there so who knows! Thank you for the invitation, I'll keep this in mind :-). 

-----

@Quincy  hosting is a bit slow right now but I am trying to keep optimistic lol

and the invitation is open for when you want to check Tokyo.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I look forward to that @BedandStay0! 🙂 

-----