Be my Guest, Lemon Tarts‌‌

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Be my Guest, Lemon Tarts‌‌

F480C66D-1AC2-4DBF-A6E0-816DF26A04A6.jpeg

If you have a sweet tooth, Lemon Tart is your Angel!

A gorgeous French Lemon Tart is a perfect desserts for your Guest ! 

Classic French Lemon TartsClassic French Lemon TartsR Lemon Tart, Origin France.

A lemon tart (tarte au citron) is a desserts dish, a variety of tart, It has a pastry shell with a  lemon flavored filling.

Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C and flavonoids, which a antioxidants.

Lemon had a growing success, especially in the 17th / 18th centuries on the ships of the great expeditions, as it was a medicine to prevent from scurvy (a disease caused by vitamin C deficiency, lemon was then the ideal remedy). It’s on these boats that lemon juice based deserts might have been made for the first time. The first version would be, according to historians, kind of a cheesecake with a biscuit base and a mix of eggs, sugar and lemon juice.

Baked  French Style Lemon TartsBaked French Style Lemon Tarts

Traditional  French Lemon TartsTraditional French Lemon Tarts

Another possible origin of the lemon tart could be a French adaptation of the American key lime pie – a pie originally made from biscuits chips and a filling with lime and condensed milk covered with meringue.

In the early 19th century,France the lemon tart was so revered that it was served to the king as a symbol of wealth and goodness. It is relatively simple to make and so worth it for the zesty lemon tang and creamy custard - a delicious sweet and sour experience that cannot fail to delight your guests.

They are refreshing and zingy and always go down well with a crowd. This lime basil pie is no exception.This super simple dessert has it all: silky custard with a hint of lemon tang, all baked into a buttery pastry crust. It’s an irresistible combination.

My Flavor Tarte Au Citron , Jacques GeninMy Flavor Tarte Au Citron , Jacques Genin

Jacques Genin’s tarte au citron has a crust so tender that it crumbles at the mere touch of a fork, and its crème citron center is a masterful balance of tanginess and sweetness, perfumed with the faint scent of basil as the perfect finishing touch.

The best Lemon Tart,  I found at Jacques Genin, one of Paris’ most reputable pâtisseries and chocolate shops, located in the 3rd arrondissement.

The Parisian, we named it “ The Peals Of Paris” 
Jacques Genin, The True Master ChefJacques Genin, The True Master Chef

Jacques Genin was dethroned from the top of my list when I tested the as beautiful as it is tasty this is a tart of luxury indeed. Garnished with gold, lemon sugar lace and basil leaves it is a true work of art. it melts in my mouth like a stray summer cloud in a blue sky.

EABC8A21-BB09-4FEE-B363-4BBCA5E5E7DF.jpeg

43DB19F5-2FC9-476A-981B-357B5623D74B.png

D2A99341-8B9E-414B-8480-DF2DBD30FF41.jpeg

9D0D68DE-7EE3-4BA6-9177-EF09E48E27F4.jpeg

AC42049C-5FCF-4975-8168-A37B7DB51AD4.jpeg

5E39D7B0-6B8F-40EA-927C-D66D7D3411DD.jpeg

I am a lemon tart lovers and a Tarte au citron SuperFan.

It ust might be the best average price in Paris, 4 euro to spent on my sweet tooth.

To my fellow Airbnb host, make a Lemon Tart to your guest with its tangy, golden center, the lemon tart is the perfect way to celebrate of  the arrival of Spring. 

Enjoy with your guest!

The Creamy Cheese Lemon TartsThe Creamy Cheese Lemon Tarts

Happy Hosting   

22 Replies 22
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

This lemon basil pie has a lovely creamy texture and beautifully balances the flavours of the lemon and basil.

Prep Time 30 minutes

Cook Time 30 minutes

Total Time 30 minutes

Servings 6 people

Notes

Quantities for a 22cm (8.5 inches) pie or 8x10cm (4 inches) min pies

Ingredients

For the shortcrust pastry:

• 175 g (3/4 cups or 1.5 sticks) butter
  • 125 g (1 cup) icing sugar
  • 60 g (2/3 cup) powdered almonds
  • 60 g eggs 2 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 310 g (2 1/2) cups flour

For the lemon basil curd:

• 180 g (3/4 cup) lemon juice between 6-10 limes, depending on the lemon.
  • 6-10 lemon for their zest use the same amount as for the juice
  • 170 g (3/4 cup) sugar
  • 20 g (1 1/2 cup) fresh basil
  • 3 eggs
  • 200 g (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) butter cut into cubes
  • 1 gelatine leaf optional - the curd will hold better so that you could pipe it

Instructions

For the shortcrust pastry:

1. Combine the butter, icing sugar and almonds in the mixer. Add the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla pod and salt and mix until homogenous. Add the flour in one go and then mix as little as possible, only enough to be able to shape the dough into a ball. Flatten slightly and refrigerate overnight (or at least 1h30).
  2. Roll out the dough so that it's 3mm thick (or 2mm for mini pies), place in the pie tin and refrigerate again for 1-1h30. This will prevent the dough from shrinking when baking. Blind bake for 20 minutes at 180°C and  let cool on a rack.

For the lemon or lime basil curd:

1. Cook all the remaining ingredients (except the butter and the gelatine if you're going to use it) on a low heat. Keep an eye on the exact temperature - the mix should never exceed 85°C (185F) or the eggs might cook.
  2. When the mix starts to thicken, get ready to remove the pan from the heat. How do you know when it's ready? Use the whisk to create a whirl - if the whirl continues to spin for a bit before stopping, you will need to keep it on the heat for a bit longer. If on the other hand it stops immediately, it's ready - you can stop cooking and remove from the heat.
  3. If you want to add gelatine to the mix, do so now.
  4. Strain the lime curd to remove the zests and the basil leaves.
  5. Pour the lime curd into a beaker and let it cool until it reaches about 40-45°C (105-115F). This should take about 5 minutes.
  6. Using a hand-held blender, start mixing the curd at a low speed, then start dropping in the butter and continue to mix until smooth.

Assemble the tart,

1. Pour the lemon curd into the baked pastry and smooth out the mix with a spatula.
  2. Grate some lemon zest over the curd and refrigerate for at least 3h if you used the gelatine and 5h if you did not.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I always wanted to learn how to make them

@Ared223 

I’m glad you liked it. Don’t eat all by yourself, shared with your guest and family 😀

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Ohh my..Do you deliver ? 😍

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Dale711  My favorite dessert possible!  I'm asking the same question as @Ria16 🙂

I love the idea that the lemon tart may have been inspired by Key Lime Pie.  Key limes are different from all other limes and impart a wonderful taste.  My first visit to the Keys in the 70s was the first time I tasted them.

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

Great timing, as my lemon (and lime) trees are covered in a profusion of fantastic fruit.

With a long weekend coming for Easter, I can do a little special cooking.

Merci beaucoup!

@Ria16 and I will send you our addresses, @Stephen1156, so you can ship one to each of us.  😁😉😋

Please share photos and recipes @Stephen1156  as @Dale711 .

So mouth watering.

Here's a trick to make Lemon ice blocks for drinks

Use the Egg Storage compartment tray in the fridge to make Egg shaped Ice blocks for in drinks.

They pop out very easily, store in a container in the freezer and use as required either on it's own in a glass of sparkling water, or one's favourite drink or with a piece of fresh mint.

@Ann72 @Mary996 @Ria16 

@Helen427 

Thank you  for the receipt of “ Lemon Ice block” 

I’m surely the guests with love it’s, so refreshing and keep the body flush ! 

Lime and lemon garnish ideaLime and lemon garnish idea

Lemon and mint ice cubeLemon and mint ice cube

Pineapple and  fresh mint lemonadePineapple and fresh mint lemonade

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wow! This looks divine... so artistic @Dale711 

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

🤣Not sure if Australia Post can send a tart to NY.

@Stephen1156  Sigh.  I mean the US Postal Service has a long list of things you can send through the mail - like rocks and baby chicks - but I'm not sure sending lemon tarts to other continents is within their capabilities, either.  🤣

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Ared223 @Stephen1156 @Ria16 @Ann72 

Amazing ! Japanese French Fusion Patisserie Masayohi  Ishikawi

https://youtu.be/TFNI3IdZJ8U

Explained  in subtitles. Easy to make! 
Look yummy!Look yummy!

Taste Delicious! RefreshingTaste Delicious! Refreshing

The fine Arts!The fine Arts!

Easy to make at home.Easy to make at home.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Oh my goodness. I'm going to get into real trouble now as I need to have a roll with a tart....!! (Little joke I made up : "Why did the man get his face slapped when he went into the bakery ....because he asked for a roll with a tart!!")

Dale these recipes are divine. So tempting and so delicious looking. And I love your phrase "a stray summer cloud in a blue sky." Am going to use that! Thank you so much for these. Magic.

When I lived in France I cooked following a book and I'm trying to remember the Author's name but my fav was 'Filet de Porc en croute". Any clues as to who was in vogue in the 70's???? 72-73 to be precise x