Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Big sporting events

Sports event 2.0.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you've all had a great weekend!

Today I'd like to talk about sports since there have been big sporting events going on recently. Recently we've had the Wimbledon Championships (Tennis) here in London which attracted people from all around the world. When I was still hosting, I had guests specifically come over to attend a rugby game that was going on.

This made me wonder if any of you are hosting guests that are visiting for a sports event? Or maybe you've made plans on attending a sports event yourself?

I would love to hear your answers!

Quincy

Here's is the link to the 'Suggest an off-topic' post—Feel free to post any ideas!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

22 Replies 22
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ria16,

It's great to see you here again 🙂

I love the New Zealand rugby team and was even able to see them in person a while ago at the Edinburgh Murrayfield stadium when they were playing against Scotland. 

The Haka is very impressive!

-----

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Quincy Choice! 🙂 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Ria16, it is great to hear you had some guests for the Lions Tour! I'm a rugby fan, so was gripped watching the games, even though it was quite early in the morning for us over here. Did you watch any of the games?

I most recent event I went to was a local game here in the London to watch the team I support (Northampton Saints) and it wasn't quite the game I was hoping for, it was a little difficult to watch to be honest and ended 55-24! 😞  There is always next time!! hehe 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Lizzie Yes watched a good few of them. I thought the lions fans were also amazing. It was such a good atmosphere around town. I really enjoyed seeing everyone dressed up 🙂 

Hello @Quincy

I think the closest I'd come to any sports events would be the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympics which will be held in Pyeongchang. The distance from Seoul to Pyeongchang is about 230km (3hrs by car), and I think there will be a new express train available soon which is said will take about 1hr 10~20mins. My home is located near the city center with several universities close by so not that many stadiums or sports event related venues to be found 🙂 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jessica-and-Henry0,

I hope you're doing well. 

I think it'd be great if the new express train will be finished by then, since it could be a potential opportunity for guests to book with you! 

Are you both planning on going to the Winter Olympics? 

-----

@Quincy The plan is to actually to have the express train running by end of this year - before the Winter Olympics start 🙂

I might have some people who want to spend a couple days in Seoul before or after they are in Pyeongchang, but I'm sure most people seeing the games will stay in one of the many NEW hotels or other accomodations near that area!

Henry is not into winter sports - he absolutely HATES the cold, but we might go nearby there to enjoy the hot springs!

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264213

Of course the FIFA World Cup is being held here in Russia next year.

Seven matches are being held in Saint Petersburg so we are looking forward to the draw in December to see who will be arriving in the city.

For visitors with FIFA Fan ID, there is visa free access, plus match day ticket holders qualify for free train travel to the host city and metro transfers on match day. 

Already we had the Confererations Cup in the summer, and hosted some Chile fans and a sports journalist arriving to cover the game.