Can nature help to reduce air pollution?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Can nature help to reduce air pollution?

Moss

Hello everyone,

I have just come across an interesting article (video actually) sharing how a team of designers have come up with an idea to create moss structures in cities, acting in a way like a tree, to help tackle urban air pollution. 

Unleashing the power of moss in our cities [Source BBC Magazine]

I thought this is quite an interesting dicussion point, the power of moss and thought I would share it with you all! Moss apparently has the ability to 'store pollution particles and then use them as nutrients'. Pretty cool! 🙂

Personally, one of the things I like about living in London is there are lots of green spaces and parks and I don't think this is to replace this. There are places in central London where it is not possible to add any trees (or not without digging up the road), which have high pollution levels so perhaps moss sculptures are the way to go! I suppose in a way the 'moss trees' could be designed in lots of different ways to fit the different architecture of the surrounding. 

What do you think? Do you think it would be nice to have lots of green moss sculptures around a city?

It would be great to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

13 Replies 13
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@James250@Anand5@Em4@Karen496@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0@Ria16@Kim238@Mary90@Chris232@Alexandra224@Jim-and-Marcia0@David126, I thought you might find this topic interesting. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Lizzie I like the idea.  I wonder if anyone makes mini versions ..say a 15cm square for indoor rooms 🙂  with a kind of Japanese feel. It would nice and pleasing to the eye aye? 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I really like your idea @Ria16. I wonder if you had quite an open space you could use these as internal walls to break up the different areas? 

Do you think there is a way to water them? 🙂 

--------------------

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Maybe with a spray bottle. I wonder too if it would entice little critters inside ..:) like geckos or skinks.. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie Nature has always protected from pollution, we would not be alive without trees on this planet. I once saw people growing moss on their roof to reduce the heat inside their home, that tiny plant non-vascular plant can absorb humidy and sun light very efficient thus maintaining a more comfortable temperature inside the building during summer. Great post Lizzie i hope you enjoyed your holidays in Spain.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very true @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 🙂 I would love it if my home had a moss roof, there is something quite hobitan/Lord of the rings about it! Do you think you would ever adopt something similar in your home?

[Aw thanks for the holiday wishes, it was a nice week.]

--------------------

@Lizzie Maybe i will try it one day but i have doubts the mosses will survive the salted sea breeze and the hot weather. Glad to hear that you had a great time.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hehe, yes you are probably right @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0! hehe

I am sure your pollution levels in Mauritius are relatively low though, so I think this might not be an urgent need.

--------------------

@Lizzie You are absolutely right in Mauritius the level of pollution is very low but nevertheless we should be more careful with the environment. The tourist industry is at it's peak here and many buildings are growing like mushrooms here. I wish Airbnb will one day allow hosts to rate on how ecological and economic the guests were during their stay. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lizzie

totaly cool 🙂 

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

@Lizzie:  Lovely idea.  I like that they thought outside the box especially on something as important as pollution.  However it seems like it might be cost prohibitive for the long run.  I wonder if there are things that could help reduce the cost like volunteers trained to help maintain it?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a good point @Karen-and-Will0. I wonder if they could have a water collection tank on the side for when it rains and then it could slowly release the water? I am sure many people would love to volunteer to help with this though. 

I also wonder if you could have other shaped object with moss on too? Instead of barriers, you could have moss walls! hehe

--------------------

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Lizzie

in milan, bosco verticale.  the architect for this project, stefan boeri is currently engaged in a forest city for nanjing, china.  this project boeri reckons is going to suck out 25000kg CO2/yr and add 60kg O2/day from +-2500 shrubs/trees.

a french botanist, patrick blanc's vertical gardens are all over the world.  he has a vertical garden in his home.

my understanding is some moss and lichens provide an early warning system for pollution.

🙂

em

hukawai lodge

franz josef, nz

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/manage-your-space/15418840