Could you live and host on a deserted island?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Could you live and host on a deserted island?

Island

Hello everyone,

Happy Friday!!!

I read an article yesterday about a little French island called Quéménès just off the coast of Brittany, France. It took my eye because they are looking for a couple to move on to the island (which is deserted) and look after it. To many this sounds like the perfect life of peace, isolation and sustainability, but to others this would be too much.

The previous couple who lived there for 10 years, managed to grow a triving business, growing potatoes and edible seaweed and letting people come and stay for holidays. To read more take a look at the BBC article here.

This got me thinking, would you like to live on your own island with just yourself and partner (family) to keep you company and the land to live off? Do you think you could go completely self-sufficient and if so how would you do this? Or alternatively, what would you like or miss the most? Would you like to continue hosting?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

7 Replies 7
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Lol, that would be my personal vision of hell.

No people, no laughter, no bistro with good coffee... 

Ah, and if they don't have Internet via satellite link either, I'd just have to swim to the coast of Britany. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lizzie I've seen this article too and I would love it 🙂 Just imagine - no neighbours !!!! Just goats, cows, dogs...  😄

and yes @Helga0 they do have internet ... and everything else - electricity from sun and wind, water and all... and when they get injured the helicopter arrived in 20 min. And they host tourists 6 months a year.

Heaven 🙂

Lol, my neighbor tries to sell his place and wants to buy a lighthouse then to live there. That's already very lonely and some of them are on an island at least part of the day. I'm always shuddering and laughing at the same time, when he speaks of his search for the perfect place. 

Lizzie's island however looks very beautiful, gorgeous, a paradis - best to be admired on tv (my mother always watches such emissions)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Helga0 and @Branka-and-Silvia0. I think it is a little bit like the saying "it's like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it!".

Living in London, but growing up in quite a remote part of the country, I sometimes crave the outdoors and the quietness. However, I too would miss the company of other people too much. Perhaps if I could have the island for part of the year this might suit me well or a weekend get away! hehe. Anyone fancy taking it in turns? 🙂

I do like the idea of being self-suffient though, growing your own food. I am not sure how full I would be though! 🙂

Do you think your pets (Nombre and Auguste) would like a remote life?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

No, thank you, @Lizzie, I’m not staying overnight on your island, not even in country houses in villages. But I’m growing a bit of my food in Paris, in flowerpots: tomatoes, raspberries, grapes and Chinese strawberries, which come from a Mediterranean tree actually, kitchen herbs and herbs for tea at the moment. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw fair enough @Helga0 🙂

All the food you are growing sounds lovely - I like that you are growing herbs for your tea, what kind of things?

I've got a nice apple tree outside my flat which grows such tasty apples on it, they would make some very nice apple pies and apple cakes which are my absolute favourite!! 

--------------------