Do you have a favourite mug?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you have a favourite mug?

Please note this is a general image :)Please note this is a general image 🙂

Hello everyone,

Just picture yourself sitting down to have a cup of tea or coffee this morning, which mug is in your hand? Chances are it’s the same mug you used yesterday, and the day before! I reckon many of us have a favourite mug, it’s the one that is exactly the right size and shape, has a design that we like and maybe has some sentimental value or a story behind it.

Do you have a favourite mug? What’s it like (share a photo if you can!)? If you share your kitchen with your guests, are you happy for them to use it or do you keep it in a special cupboard?

I can’t wait to see your mugs and hear their stories! 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

14 Replies 14
Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Haha love this @Lizzie

Can i cheat and have 2?

I'm currently using the one on the right, good old Banksy picture mug bought from an Amsterdam art gallery.

But i very graciously let my friend use my favourite mug yesterday (she went for a stealthy steal out the dishwasher). Which is the mug on the left and still on my table waiting to go back in the dishwasher.

image1.JPG

It's a doodle of the area i live in. Found in one of the weird and wonderful shops near my flat. I love being weird and pointing out to people where the flat is. (Its between the fish and the pig for those wondering)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

These are really cool @Louise231. Yeah, I instantly recognised the Banksy image. I went to Bristol the other month and there is some amazing graffiti art on the wall of buildings. 

I like the doodle cup too and that you can see you house on there. I would be exactly the same and point it out all the time, hehe! It reminds me of an artist I use to know who made incredible map art works out of the words of the different places he doing. It's really clever. 

What's your beverage of choice in your mugs? Are you a massive tea fan like me? 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Yeah it's all about the tea....

Thankfully my guests don't see my kitchen tea madness...

image1(1).JPG

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, this is magical @Louise231. What a collection, which one to choose?!?

I was speaking to @Deborah82, earlier in the week about tea – Deborah, I think you might be a fan of this! 🙂 

--------------------

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

In case you were wondering what my favourite mug is...

Lighthouses!Lighthouses!

@Lawrene0, I think you might like this lighthouse mug! 🙂

Many of you will know if you have read any of my holiday posts over the past two and a half years, that I am a bit of a fan of the sea. So, this is reflected in my nautical themed mugs...2 mugs.jpg

Not only are they a little bit bigger, so you can get away with drinking more tea, they are great for dunking biscuits in them, which in my opinion is always a sign of a good mug. Plus, I am sentimental about these as I bought them in Cornwall,  just after I got married! aww

And there are more...

Still 2 mugs.jpg

@Fred13 and @Robin4 (when you return from your holidays), I know you like your boats so I think these might resonate with you. Any other sea/boat fans?

--------------------

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

That's something, @Lizzie: use of mugs as conversation starters. I am completely guilty of that. I do serve a breakfast to guests who want it when I am home, and the mugs I set out are carefully chosen from my mishmash of freebies. One is a Sydenham River Recovery mug with species at risk (eastern spiny softshell turtle, northern riffleshell mussel, grass pickerel) pictured, and the other is a Stratford Festival mug sometimes swapped out with a Seguin Island Light Station mug. If conversation were to awkwardly stall, those mugs provide a, "Say, what's this about these northern riffleshells?" option. 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yeah, it's a good plan @Lawrene0 🙂 It is funny when I think about all the mugs I've got, some I have had for years and years. They have been through multiple house moves, some I can't even remember how I ended up with them. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, so they are actually great talking points. 🙂 

Your mugs sounds interesting. I like you choice of question, I wonder what the answer would be? 🙂 If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo. 

--------------------

No one has asked me that particular question, @Lizzie, although I live in hope. I can go on forever about mussel quadrant sample studies! 🙂

Here is the mug:

conversation-starter mugconversation-starter mugspecies at riskspecies at risk

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

crockery.jpg

I don't actually use mugs myself at all, only cups. Don't like the size and feel and the handles of mugs. But I have cups and mugs in the accommodation, I did an overglaze on white porcelain to create QP crockery. QP = Queensberry Pip. The pattern on it reflects borders painted around the house.

Sorry, no pic. My favourite mug is a thermal mug bought during a visit to the Kennedy Space Center: if you pour in some tea, it stays hot, if you pour in a cold beer, it remains cold.

Brian Cesky's favourite mug is the mug of Rubik's cube: it contains a round cup inside, but since the edges remain straight, drinking is a challenge, like keeping the new benchmark set at 4.8.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Lizzie 

77D1A83F-2F91-4497-8D2A-0D3127A38C38.jpeg0A3EE6A4-22F9-491E-A421-1B8462EC4E94.jpegThis is my favorite mug or Keep Cup from a whale rescue org named Project Jonah. This cup has been around the world with me and it’s great that I’m doing my bit to reduce waste by taking it to cafes etc. I often used to take photos of the cup in various situations 

Yesterday my self with cup and around 200 other people travelled to Baylys Beach on our Wild West coast  to try and rescue a humpback whale that had got stranded with her calf.  Sadly we couldn’t get her free of the hole she was in. If you could imagine she’s the size of a couple of buses and there’s no way to turn her around. High tide is right about now 5am so we are all gunning for her. As you do.  It’s probably her last chance.

i have guests coming so can’t return today but  I did think about using extenuating circumstances;) But fingers crossed she is ok x

Bianca156
Level 10
São Paulo, Brazil

Over the years, traveling as a crew on board cruise ships, I have collected lots of mugs. My mugs are very special for me as I remember each of their stories. The moments and places I got each one of them. My favorite is always the last one. I have some of them in the apartment that is listed in the airbnb but as part of my decoration. They are on a very high shelf that cannot be reached, I don't want them involved in any "accident". I love sharing my stories and that's why my airbnb is all decorated with art and objects I brought from my travels. I have collected all sorts of little things like postcards, magnets, little crafts but the mugs are still my favorite ones... The ones I use the most are the Starbucks City Mugs, that are large and can hold a lot because I love my tea like an English and my Coffee like an American!IMG_6383.jpg

Looks good 

Benedict Camberpruff
Cindy403
Level 4
Philadelphia, PA

During my last two jobs, I traveled quite a bit through the US, many cities  multiple visits. For each new city, I’d pick up the Starbucks mug. For me personally, I will use one that makes me feel connected to a friend in a far away city and enjoy my morning coffee “with them”. 

B8DC00D2-9DDC-4F6C-B2AA-3B818E00F4BA.jpeg

For my guests, I’ll choose mugs that relate to them for their morning coffee or tea. I had guests from Texas and used all of the Texas mugs during their stay. I had a woman from Florida, but originally from Boston, stay three days; I set out the Boston, Cambridge and Florida mugs for her stay. It’s a nice way to connect with my guests with something I already had.