Do you have a garden?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you have a garden?

Gardening

Hello Everyone,

As I look out of the window whilst I write this, I am pleased to say that the sun is out and there is a deep blue sky. In the UK? I hear you say! Yes, it's true...I think Summer is on its way. 🙂

Whether you are going into Summer or have already moved into your Winter, this signals a change and often if you have a garden there are things to be done.

Do you have a garden? If so, how do you find preparing this ready for the season ahead, do your guests like to enjoy your garden too? If you don't have a garden, as perhaps you live in the city, do you have any alternatives such as a small herb garden that you enjoy all year around? 

It would be great to hear from you. 

Enjoy! 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

53 Replies 53
Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Robin4  positive attitude, exemplary hosting and gardening combines.  lovely space robin.

Em

🙂

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lizzie

203m2 of garden that needs a lot of rehabilitation but I'm getting there, first plan is to but in a herb garden as some of my Italian tenants are very keen on cooking (and that’s an understatement), as my building is on Ul. Roznana (Rose Street) I think they would be appropriate.

If I had the time and resources I'd love to model my garden on Yves Saint Laurent garden in Marrakech, but I suspect that’s a pipe dream.

My Ideal garden would have lots of colour and fragrance.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like an exciting project @Cormac0 and I really don't think you can go wrong with having lots of herbs, colour and fragrance. I have a very small patio area at the back of my flat, so I try to take advantage of pots as much as I can. Lavender looks very pretty and is hardy so that does very well. Mint is also great and perfect for this time of year for all those salads to compliment the BBQs! 🙂 If I have a bigger space, I would love to have some moving water, I just love the sound it makes.

Aw wow, that would be incredible to remodel your garden on the YSL house, the colours are just amazing. I think, you could certainly use inspiration from this and create it in your garden - not necessarily a pipe dream. 🙂 I was just talking with @Kirstie after seeing your post about the YSL house and she says she has actually been to visit it. Have you ever been?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

No lizzie, I saw it on a Holiday programme on the BBC, maybe one day.

But it is without exception, beautiful!

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Cormac0  every reality starts as a pipe dream.  i am inspired by many gardens around the world and have begun emulating them in accordance with the space i'm working within and my own overall kind of plan.

🙂

Em

Hukawai Lodge

Franz Josef Glacier, NZ

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

IMG_5537.JPGtuin 1.JPGtuin 2.JPG

We have a large garden with an abundance of birdlife. I make sure to fill the 3 birdfeeders daily. I also have son fresh herbs growing in a pot at my guest cottage kitchen door for my guests to use. Most od my guests love sitting outside in the garden. But in summer we have mozzies so most people go indoors by 6pm. We are now going into winter here in Botswana. I love my garden!

@MicheleandLouw0

Beautiful garden guys, and I love what you have done with the old 'bug' !!

Also, like ours, so nice that there is not a lot of structure in it ....you have put something 'here or there' because it looks nice, not because it is dictated by what's around it. 

Hey Michelle, great that you have herbs, and you @Cormac0 are going to put in a herb garden! We have found herbs to be great companion plants, and everywhere we have planted a Rosemary shrub, Coriander, Basil, Parsely the neighbouring flowering plants seem to do much better. We have found by planting Spring Onions, Chives in the Rose garden has extended the Rose flowering season by almost two months. We still have blooms when everyone else has pruned for winter, and it's only been that way since we introduced the Onions/Chives. Because of this, we don't structure the herbs in the garden, they are everywhere, almost as if they are a condiment to the garden, just as they are to cooking. Photo in previous post on this thread shows Cut Leaf Parsely growing from the Alpaca's foot!

Great job...would love to see some more gardens....We have 1,370 M2 of rear garden and I am always on the lookout for more ideas and I am sure contributors here could give me a few.

Cheers....Rob

@Robin4

That’s not a garden you have Robin, it’s a plantation, but there nothing quite as satisfying as spending a whole day in the garden and sitting down with a brew (tea, in my case) and reviewing one’s days work.

Recently, I did a major cutting back and being heavy work, I started to perspire the fragrance while not unpleasant reminded me of my late father after he had spent his usual Saturday mowing the lawn, tending the apple tree's and selecting the vegetables for dinner I must confess I felt a little melancholy for the old days when life was so much simpler.

Robin, thanks for the tip on the herbs.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw I love your garden @MicheleandLouw0. The old Beetle is so fantastic, so colourful - was this your car beforehand?

I saw from the CC Wildlife thread what incredible birds you have in your area, I am sure they must be getting a little hungrier as you go into Winter. 

Do you find that lots of plants attract insects to your garden? We want to attract bees and butterflies. 🙂

--------------------

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Graham-And-Michelle0@Kim-and-Jen0@Tim-and-Holly0@Wendy-and-Frank0@Sara2@Huaai0, I thought as you have an interest in house plants you might like this discussion. 🙂

--------------------

Hi @Lizzie

Well I love gardening, unfortunately I live in apartment so I dont have garden. 

I have a small room around 1mx2.5m which I turned it to green house. I plant tomatoes and herbs 🙂

I have a small balcony too that I decorate with some plants/flowers.

So I think I have to just make use the space in the apartment as my garden 🙂

Jen

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

When we bought our house, it had no landscaping except some overgrown weeds that had turned into trees and roots in the plumbing. I'm trying to add a bit more every year and love to garden. For my Airbnb guests, I always have potted plants outside the door (except in Jan-March) and a potted herb garden they can use.

Aogán0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

We have 6.5 acres of woodland garden in Devon. It takes a bit of work, but my first guests have just messaged me to say how incredible it is. I think it's a real treat to stay a place with something you may not have at home (these guests live in London).

Aogán0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

20170429_141010.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, look at those blue bells @Aogán0. It is incredible to see. I love Devon, it a beautiful part of the country. 

Does it take quite a lot of your time to manage your land, or is it mainly left to the wild? 🙂

--------------------