Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you recycle?

Do you recycle_ (NEW) .png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well!

Today I want to talk about recycling. We all nicely throw away our trash but have you ever thought about what could be done with all that rubbish?

Did you know that by recycling your plastic bottles, clothing such as fleece jackets and backpacks can be made and if you recycle metal cans, car parts and appliances can be made?

Most likely the shoes I'm currently wearing have been made from recycled materials! Amazing isn't it? 

Nowadays we have a wide variety of recycling bins although this might be different in each country. I know that there are bins for food waste, cardboard, paper, plastic, glass, batteries, steel/tin cans, and aluminium. Have I forgotten any?

I was wondering if you recycle items in your homes or do you have your own way of recycling? 

Here's an interesting video about what happens to recycling after it's collected. 

I would love to hear your answers and perhaps even some recycling tips/tricks that you might have!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

24 Replies 24
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

KiaOra @Quincy. Yes I’m keen to recycle and love the redo, reduce, reuse  ethos.

I try not not buy single use items and bulk buy where able. Happy also to live in pre used/loved clothing.

Our single recycling bin is generally overflowing these days. A lot comes from my beach clean ups and some is  partly from guests plastic bottles ( I do offer reusable mugs for them to take out for the day 😉  

I have a worm farm and a compost bin so that’s good for paper and cardboard items. 

Great video by the way...saw a clip from YouTube the other day of a road made from CD,s  😉 I have a whole stack of these that I need to do something with. Everything corrodes very quickly here 🙂 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ria16!

How are you? 

It's great to hear that you recycle items :-).

I haven't been to the beach for a little while now, but when I do, I always find a lot of items such as plastic bottles and plastic bags. Do you find that there is a lot of trash on the beach near where you live? 

-----

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

All good thanks @Quincy

Not a lot of trash as people do pick up the ocean waste . It was well publicised that three turtles found beached  in Northland recently (2 died, 1 still in care) had plastic in their stomachs.  Maybe the world is waking up a little? 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think recycling is a good idea.

Anyway, is most of cases, it seems to me it is only an reactive attitude to save the environment.

I think that, it is very important to take pro active attitude in other avoid pollution and rubbish.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @J-Renato0,

You are absolutely right. 

The amount of energy used to manufacture items is very high! I know that in some countries they try to motivate people to recycle items by putting a small deposit on plastic bottles which you will get back once you return the bottles to a collection point. I think it is a good idea don't you think? 

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yes, it is a great idea. I think that every idea to protect the environment is good.

IMHO, the recycling industry is very positive, but at the same time it is not a solution, it is kind of "palliative medicine".

For example, in old times restaurants, snack bars and fast food would use dish, cups and botles made of glass, knifes and forks make of metal. It had a long life, those things could be used thousand times, and did not cause to much pollution to the environment when it was time to dispose of them. Those durable things could be recycled as well.

Then the big corporations invented an way to save money by throwing away things, such as plastic bags, paper bags, plastic bottles, plastic dishes and whatsoever. It also reduced the number of employees to wash this material.
By polluting the environment companies save lots of money. Acttually is the state and the cities that have to deal with the rubbish the companies throw away. They send the bill to the state in a disguised way.
From my point of view, every type of business that save money buy polluting the environment and producing rubbish should be charged for this. Soon or later those companies would abandon the idea of using disposable materials to save money by producing rubbish and by sending the bill to the ordinary people, the citizens.

@Quincy0, congrats for this very good topic!

Scott285
Level 2
Seneca, SC

Great post! We are all about recycling. Our vision with our listings is to be able to show people a more sustainable way of living while they are relaxing on vacation. We have recycle bins on site that I take to our local waste service. It's exiting to see other people taking part in this earth-friendly practice! recycle.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Scott285,

Nice to meet you!

That's a big collection of recycling bins you've got there :-). 

How do you communicate this with your guests? 

-----

Quincy,

Great question! We have other smaller trash & recycle bins inside that all have labels on them. Our listings indicate that we are a sustainable development which is more often than not the reason why they want to stay with us. The eco-friendly methods that guests partake in are approachable and simple. We don't want to overwhelm anyone! So far it has not been a complication with any guests.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hey, @Quincy, I LOVE to talk about recycling. Our whole listing was made of leftover building materials. Most of the wood we provide for the woodstove is from the construction business. It would all have been thrown away otherwise. But the fun one is where the rest of the woodstove "wood" comes from. The local township office gives me their bags of shredded paper, and I make them into firelogs by soaking the paper and pressing it into an old perforated bread tin (with a damaged clamp the carpenters were going to throw out). One big bag makes about 10 logs, and it takes little effort. You do need space to dry them. Here's a pic of them drying. They are not pretty, but burning township secrets is a good way to keep warm 🙂

firelogs.PNG

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lawrene0,

This is such a good way of making use of old paper and keep you warm during winter :-). 

I heard you can make good use of simple things such as leftover paper egg cartons or toilet paper rolls for seedling pots as they are biodegradable. 

-----

I do make seedling pots, @Quincybut that is unrelated to my Airbnb listing. What I use egg cartons and tp rolls for, for the listing, is firestarters. Cut them apart, fill with sawdust, wood chips, and shredded paper, then pour over a little wax from candle stubs. I don't generate enough stubs myself to make enough of these, but the village church is a good source. So Airbnb guests are getting an entire village of recycling in their woodstove.

firestarters.PNG

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, this is so creative @Lawrene0 and I like that they are also quite decorative, it kind of look like potpourri! 🙂

I am sure your guests are very intrigued by these?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.