Fair Labor Practices, Living Wages, Work Ethic, "marginalized work"

Jaime234
Level 1
Baton Rouge, LA

Fair Labor Practices, Living Wages, Work Ethic, "marginalized work"

I was once a scientist in the field of Aerospace.  After some time I grew stagnant, I missed my son.  I worked long hours and due to the demand of the industry my hours were long.  Often times requiring me to work weekends and miss my son's youth.  At the time, I told myself these were normalized items and that "my time" would come.  You know the time.   Your slice of the Americana dream?  When you pay your dues through time, patience, and work effort and some day, your reach your space where you have earned your plot of USA> the house, the fence, the car, the vacation, the happy kid.  Well, that never came.  The divorce came.  The work demands kept coming, overtime piled up and the bills did as well,  and I was in a loop.  Work, save, pay, sleep, repeat.  No time for fun, or love, or me, or son.  And slowly I noticed in time.   I was.....ignorant.  Because I had no time for learning or hobbies, or me, or others.  Only the system of work and bills and housing.  But unknownst to me during this time I had something, a tad of respect.  I had science, my home, a "career."  Even thought I was lonely, never home, my yard was tattered, ignorant and my son was a 'latch-key kid', my title of science gave me some ladder of dignity and respect.  I felt so empty.

So I left and started a cleaning company.  Doing what I spent the least amount of time doing in my own life, but missed and loved doing the most.  A one woman show.  I went back to school,  suddenly I was the 'boss' and had control over my own schedule.  I looked at my son and realized after so many lost years, he was now a MAN, almost 17.  But something deplorable happened as well.  NO ONE WANTS TO PAY ME AND THEY TREAT ME LIKE DIRT.  Serious.  I research the property rentals I clean on various channels.  Most of them make over five hundred a night per rental night, before taxes, and book for days at a time.  SO a three night stay is 1500 alone.  The cleaning fee?  $50.  Do I  get a tip?  NO!  Do I take that job?  NO!  My hourly cleaning rate in my demographic for rental/airbnb units is $37.

What also bothers me about property rental managers and airbnb owners is that you call small business owners/private cleaning companies like myself and think we are desperate for work/available at all hours/ on demand.  NO.  Do you want someone in your property 'on demand' you are paying $50 to clean it while unattended? I understand that emergencies happen, and the world moves quick and services are needed, but you have to be prepared and have vetted cleaners on hand.  Do your dillegence.  For instance, I do mine.  I research every property I go to before I go on every rental portal.  I do not accept a job in a hurry.  I have invested a lot of time and energy into my solutions, equipment, insurance, affiliations, and while I may not be so great at websites, social media, marketing, and advertising, I am getting there.  Property owners, do you really want to be paying someone $50 when it may take them eight hours to potentially clean up after a messy group of vacationers? Do you think a person who accepts $50 and is a private entity has their own insurance?  IF you are paying that price point, I hope you are hiring a commercial company.

Property owners/airbnb owners, if you chose to hire private cleaners to go a money saving route, please properly vet us.  Make sure your cleaner is affiliated, background checked, insured, and pay them accordingly.  If they are not, the risk is yours, make sure they get applicable tips.  We are not a "utility" company so please don't leave the invoice of a private cleaning company in your email or on your desk until the end of the month when you pay your bills.  Would you pay your mechanic or waitress for service at the end of the month?  No, the bill is due at time of service please. 

People, stop treating service workers like undereducated marginilized unskilled workers desperate to make a dollar.  We all come to spaces for a reason.  I leave you with Mike Rowe.  And remember, next time you see a 'maid', she could be me, with a Mustang GT in her garage, listening to Voltaire through her headphones and studying for her MBA at night, and no, I do not scoop cat boxes, handle animal waste, or rush out at 8pm because your other maid did not show up and you need your place cleaned by 9pm,  surprisingly so, it does take "no more" than a half hour to clean.  Oh, and I charge a 20% differential for weekends, because I am worth it.  You are as well.

https://www.ted.com/talks/mike_rowe_celebrates_dirty_jobs?language=en

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jaime234 I agree but don;t fully get your point - is that cleaners should be paid the same as aerospace engineeers.

If you want to make a really diffferent change to the people who work for you then good on you - go ahead and do it. It will make a change to that family's life that you can be proud of. 

Small steps have a big impact on others - we pay cleaners etc, , more than the exected rate and give bonuses at unexpected times (eg ; larger party than usual etc)

Good on you for calling this out= Yes Ai~RnB is a commercial enterprise but individuals hold it tpgether

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Jamie0

Well said.

I too have a tertiary education like yourself , science based though medical.

You don't have to be a cleaner to get this sort of "treatment" as I've had to remind the odd entitled guest that I am not an old domestic servant desperate for the cash,but a well educated older woman who had a successful career as well as raising a family.

Worst offenders? The virtue signalling young feminist...... You would think these entitled besoms had discovered hot water!

Next on the list is the cheapskate who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing, and looking at some of the hosts horror that God forbid they provide such basic amenities such as toilet roll or  even soap and a towel.

Im sure as heck glad I'm not in your line of customer service as no doubt you would be well acquainted with the hagglers 

Jaime234
Level 1
Baton Rouge, LA

I am the cleaner and a host.  I rent out my spare room and run a one woman cleaning company.  And will hang up on you when you offer me fifty dollars to clean your three bedroom rental before your next geusts arrive....ummmm....no.   I can do math.   And no even @ my hourly cleaning rate I don't make what I used to but even with less stability the trade off is more time at home.  The point is, pay for a service you don't want to do/don't have time to do and don't marginalize the service industry and if you find someone at an extremely cheap rate don't be surprised to get lack luster service