Level 1
South Africa

Favourite destinations in South Africa

Share your favourite places 

8 Replies 8
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

I've been to South Africa and I'm happy to share my experiences as traveller and guest.

As you seem to be located there: Would be great to here about your inention and motivation.

In the meanwhile I invite you to my report in the DE-CC: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Freizeit/Reise-nach-Kapstadt/m-p/174264#M2043

See the pictures - and Deepl is willing for a good machine translation.

Happy Hosting!

Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Omerson0 

I am South African too - so many wonderful places, how to choose favourites? I'm in the Stellenbosch area, so in the heart of the winelands. I love wildlife, so of course visiting game reserves is a favourite. I love the Garden Route, and spent a few months living in Plettenberg Bay, but I feel Wilderness has a special charm.

There is nowhere like Cape Town - within a short drive you can be at the ocean, the winelands, the forests, city, wildlife reserves and more. I love to go for drives when I have a day off - two favourites  coastal drives are Chapmans Peak when I lived Cape Town side, and now living in the winelands, I love to drive along Clarens Drive to Betty's Bay.

Where in South Africa are you?

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Deirdre122 Those al sound like wonderful places! I've never had a chance to visit South Africa, though from what I'm hearing and seeing it definitely needs to be on my list. ๐Ÿ™‚

The wildlife aspect in particular fascinates me, do you have any pictures you could share with us of some of those encounters you've made in those areas?

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Omerson0@Till-and-Jutta0@Deirdre122  & @Emilie 

I'm a little late to this conversation, but it's a rainy day in Cape Town, so I might as well join in. ๐Ÿ™‚

South Africa is such a dichotomy of contrasts and idiosyncrasies in culture, landscape and weather. Of course we all love the natural beauty and what makes it so unique is that it's so accessible and inexpensive. 

I'll add a few pictures of my favourite scenes

Camps Bay on a hot day with the Twelve Apostles overlooking the Atlantic

Camps Bay 12 Apostles.jpg

Seeing the first sunrays on Table Mountain (from Signal Hill)

First sunrays on Table Mountain.jpg

Driving along the country roads in the Cape Winelands

Backroads near Caledon.jpg

Taking a kayak trip in Three Anchor Bay and having a whale popping up RIGHT NEXT TO YOU (yes, whales are curious, sentient beings!) Or if you are less adventurous, just watching the annual migration of Southern Rights past Hermanus

Whale from kayak.jpg

And I can go on and on.

Looking forward to hearing your travel tales and seeing your pictures.

Lindie

Owner of Festina Lente In Onrus 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Lindie6 My favourite destinations are summarized in that discussion in the DE-CC: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Freizeit/Reise-nach-Kapstadt/m-p/174264#M2043

I guess you have to use Deepl to translate, or the Google autostranslation.

@Till-and-Jutta0 How wonderful to read about all your adventures here at the bottom of Africa. One day (when our currency is as strong as the Euro ๐Ÿ˜‰ I look forward to visiting your neck of the woods, too!

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the pictures and the tips @Lindie6! You've giving me some strong wanderlust there ๐Ÿคฉ

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Love Sth Africa! Cape Town and Stellenbosch were highlights, and of course any game park ! That was the absolute highlight of our last trip. And also this day trip, horseriding in a game park (no lions or rhinos ofc)Stocksy_comp_watermarked_202142.jpg