Favourite summer activities

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Favourite summer activities

Nick_0-1598548325312.png

Hi everyone, 

When I was a kid, summer was the best of seasons. The only goal in life was to have a new great adventure. From battling sea waves to going on treasure hunts, it was all about the thrill. School was out. You were completely free and fun was your endgame. 

Now as a grown-up, chances are summer is still your favourite season. Great weather, longer days, interacting with nature to rejuvenate and refresh yourself. What’s not to love?

There’s also a plethora of summer activities. From laying on a beach with a great book, to watching a movie at the park, to going fishing, having drinks with friends or visiting a farmer’s market and so many more. 

With this in mind and while many of us are getting ready to travel, I would like to know:

What is your favourite summer activity and why? And if you interact with your guests, what seems to be their favourite thing to do when they are visiting your area in the summer months?

For our friends in Australia and New Zealand it might not exactly be the right season for this, but as always your comments are greatly appreciated.

32 Replies 32

Welcome back @Nick!. Hope your feeling of relaxation lingers for a long time.  🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Ann72 , how was your break?

@Nick 

When I think of summer..... my childhood memories are of my mom coming with us or dropping me and my sister off at the public pool to swim all day (several moms in the neighborhood had a schedule to take turns keeping an eye on a group of kids), playing tennis with my dad, getting to ride our bikes with my dad to his office where we got to spend the day with him - getting snacks from the vending machine (if we were good and behaved) and reading books and work on our book reports while my dad worked on his thesis (giving my mom a break), the barbecue dinners and catching fireflies at dusk. 

After my family moved back to Korea, many of our family trips were to the beach - playing in the sand, splashing in the waves and eating lots and lots of seafood!  And also.......  Korean style shaved ice (=bingsu) is still a favorite of mine 😁

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Both descriptions sound pretty good to me I must say @Jessica-and-Henry0 

I had completely forgotten about tennis. Used to do lessons and competitive matches for a few seasons, just before hitting a nearby swimming pool.

We also have this thing called... beach rackets - I guess the translation would be - which is way popular (basically playing something like tennis at the beach with no net and the ball can't drop as it won't bounce). I used to love it as a kid, but my tennis instructor had forbidden me to play not to mess with my technique. It was a struggle, those few summers.

It's also a great way to work on that tan, instead of laying around feeling like a... pork chop getting sizzled 🙂 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well, if we're on the subject of childhood memories, one of the strongest for me is playing tennis all Summer and getting brown as a nut. When my brother and I were around ten years old, we started going to a tennis programme for kids but before then, dad would take us.  I was rubbish but he would tell every passerby that I was going to be the youngest Wimbeldon champion, and he really believed it!

There were also picnics in various London parks and heading out of town to pick strawberries. You were actually allowed to eat as many as you wanted while picking, so that was always a treat!

There were also street fairs or parties where we lived when I was small and everyone got involved. I especially liked that it was organised by a local lady who happened to be a very famous children's TV presenter (back in the days when we only had three TV channels). There was face painting and Punch & Judy (so un-PC now).  Dad was into photography, so he'd be busy taking pictures. My mother would dress up as a gypsy (no idea why as we have no gypsy blood) and read palms, which she learnt from a book. I am pretty sure she made most of it up, but she says she always told people nice things would happen to them.

For some reason, I remember childhood Summers in London as being almost always hot and sunny, which they probably weren't, but I honestly can't recall many rainy days.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

"For some reason, I remember childhood Summers in London as being almost always hot and sunny, which they probably weren't, but I honestly can't recall many rainy days." I'm laughing so hard with this @Huma0 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Hi, @Nick from Australia Huskisson (in Jervis Bay) NSW I have just been reading your posts from last year. We are at the end of our summer here and last weekend clients were snorkling and this weekend our guests are participants in the triathlon based in Huskisson.

My enjoyment is walking or riding around the bay along the path and then back by the beach. Also waking up to the birdlife and at night listening to the waves when falling asleep. I hope this message brings some sunshine to others.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Nick 

Its interesting to learn about people's experiences. The only thing I know about Greece is reading Zorba The Greek and need to read it again. I've always lived right on the ocean and a public beach is close by that also happens to be one of the few places to walk out in nature and safe place to ride a bike, so I get out there a good bit all year. In the summer I enjoy paddle boarding. Its a great way to get out the water without a lot of gear, kind of like going to the beach with a surf board or raft or something. I don't offer paddleboards, kayaks or canoes to guest to just take on their own as there is always some risk especially in coastal environment, but sometimes guest are interested and might ask if there is a canoe or something. Its something a lot of people want to try and very convenient. Personally I enjoy it a lot in the summer but often when I try to plan an outing with friends or guest the weather doesn't always cooperate, so can be kind of tricky to phrase as an option for a guest in one message, because there is a good chance there could be a thunder storm or they aren't interested at all, so make sure to let them know about the outfitters that only charge about $25. The beach was also very popular for guest. With the covid restrictions the beach towns did their best to restrict anyone else from using them by issuing $200 parking tickets so purchased parking passes for the county park for both me and my guest. So in the summer I also started bringing a chair so after a walk would swim and read that I really enjoyed as they also have outdoor showers. It became a huge grassroots political issue to have access to public beaches. Its an issue un and down the entire east coast, particularly in NJ and NY.  The little beach towns try and limit public access by restricting parking so its always something very divisive going on. But guest love the parking pass and beach chairs so I'll keep providing that. I do kind of miss the families who stayed with me. In general moms with kids in tow are always the most friendly whereever you might happen to see them. 

Interesting topic for a blog. I have been searching the Internet for fun and came upon your website.

My list is pretty endless, but here’s a few things…

Laying on the cliffs overlooking the sea, watching and listening the waves crash on the glistening black rocks below.
Fruits glorious fruits!
Riding my mountain or road bike with friends… to where, I don’t care.
Visiting new places. Exploring. Seeking out the unknown.
Doing things that give me an adrenaline high and make my heart leap.
Having all night hot tub parties until you watch the sun come up.
Camping.
Cooking over an open fire. The sizzle of sausages dripping fat into the fire. The smell of the wood burning. The smoke hanging in the trees dappled with shafts of sunlight
Movie nights with the kids and buckets of buttery popcorn and snacks.

https://digital-planner.com/life/planner

I like to relax in the mountains in the summer

My favourite summer activity is went to lake or park with my parents in my childhood.

Guests always my relatives.They are living a city.And in my memories.Adult always don't like go outside.They like sleep.

Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

South African here also heading towards winter. To be honest I'm a bit of a winter baby - I love the cooler weather during the day and everything turning green with the winter rain. I do miss late summer evenings that are warm, and not getting up in the dark.

Summer tends to be my busy work season as an experience host, but I love to be out in the wildlife reserve early mornings with the horses and late evenings for my online experience - it is not hard to work in summer while everyone else is on holiday when you do what you love. On a day off - a short roadtrip to see the sea from one of our spectacular coastal drives with a milkshake en route.

I've was a bit dormant the last summer due to an injury, but summer also usually means cycling and hiking.

We will be heading to Namibia for a 2 week roadtrip next week so looking forward to a late autumn trip with wide open spaces, camping under the stars, majestic landscapes and beautiful wildlife.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sheng72 The park or the lake must be lovely on a sunny day, which ones are your favourites nearby? I love to go for a walk on my own, listen to some music or a podcast while strolling around, or take a book along to settle somewhere nice and read. Maybe something you can do in the coming months. ☀️

@Deirdre122 I tend to prefer winter as well, though those evenings after a scorching day are always such a treat. Milkshakes and wildlife sound like a pretty good way to make the most of it as well! Will it be your first time in Namibia or have you been there before? I'd love to see some photos when you come back from this incredible road trip, we all love an escapism post.

Have a great time if we don't chat before then! 😃

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

It will be my first time in Namibia - super excited. I'll definitely share some photos!