Favourite summer activities

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Favourite summer activities

Nick_0-1598548325312.png

Hi everyone, 

When I was a kid, summer was the best of seasons. The only goal in life was to have a new great adventure. From battling sea waves to going on treasure hunts, it was all about the thrill. School was out. You were completely free and fun was your endgame. 

Now as a grown-up, chances are summer is still your favourite season. Great weather, longer days, interacting with nature to rejuvenate and refresh yourself. What’s not to love?

There’s also a plethora of summer activities. From laying on a beach with a great book, to watching a movie at the park, to going fishing, having drinks with friends or visiting a farmer’s market and so many more. 

With this in mind and while many of us are getting ready to travel, I would like to know:

What is your favourite summer activity and why? And if you interact with your guests, what seems to be their favourite thing to do when they are visiting your area in the summer months?

For our friends in Australia and New Zealand it might not exactly be the right season for this, but as always your comments are greatly appreciated.

32 Replies 32
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

If I lived near a (preferably sandy) beach, I am sure going there would be my favourite Summer activity. Of course, in London we have lots of parks, but it's not quite the same as being by the ocean.

I guess it's about making the most of our short and temperamental Summer (as you probably know, lately it's been pouring with rain) and for me, eating al fresco is a big part of that. It's just not something we get to do for most of the year, although maybe we should get a bit tougher about it. I was in Rome in January once during a particularly cold spell when it got down to 0 degrees C, but all the tables outside the restaurants were still full. People were still enjoying their gelato in the street.

Under normal circumstances, I throw a big BBQ every Summer and invite a lot of friends. Even though the garden is tiny, we somehow seem to squeeze in. It can be stressful as I am never as prepared as I should be, but it's worth it. For some reason, the sun has come out every single year and for some reason, those BBQs always turn out to be eventful in one way or another. I am not sure why!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

To be honest I had no idea of the bad weather there. This is my first day back to work after a 2 week break @Huma0 and yet, I'm still in Athens. The weather is absolutely horrendous (which means almost 40 degrees in the city) , but my last two weeks have been all about reading, swimming and eating like there is no tomorrow, so I can relate to the eating al fresco part of your reply 🙂 

This really answers my summer activities for this year. I should probably come back with photos when I get a bit sorted and up-to-date at work

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

Ah, I see. I was in Athens last August so I do know what you mean about the temperatures. Unfortunately, we weren't reading and swimming, but sightseeing. Yep, 25,000 steps a day in that heat. I'll never forget the climb to the Acropolis! Eventually, the kids had had enough and staged a mutiny, poor things. We had to appease them with pizza and movies.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm certainly siding with the kids on this 🙂 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Nick for starting this topic  from a beautiful crisp sunny Auckland.

No rain here today @Huma0 

Love visits to where we can go swimming over the summer months, alas our swimming pools have been left to ruin over  the last 5 months as Recreation Staff are not classified as "Essential workers" with Covid 🤔

We are hoping common sense has them open in time for Spring/ Summer swimming season.

Meanwhile in New Zealand we are blessed to be within a short journey to the beaches, or if inland there's Lakes like Lake Taupo, Kai Iwi Lakes etc.

One of my guests spent her time in NZ down at Westport in the South Island at a Surf School &  Surfing.

Absolutely loved it so when our borders open, plan a holiday visit to those great outdoor places.

@NickDo you have any childhood photos of your visits to the beach you are able to share?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a really good idea @Helen427 I need to pop by my parents house to get some, something I could easily do as I'm still in Athens 🙂 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm a New Yorker - so summer meant two words - Coney Island.😎

This summer, we limited stays. Some guests enjoyed the beautiful beaches of the Hamptons… but most relaxed by lounging in our heated pool.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's amazing how after watching all those Hollywood movies and American TV shows, both Coney Island and the Hamptons feel like places I know very well, although I've actually never been. That bucket list always seems to grow, no matter how many things I erase of the list @Ann783 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

I grew up in Northern California, not far from the wine country and had a lot of agriculture around before suburban sprawl took over.  I was a bit of a nerd, and voluntarily attend summer school, because it was only half-day and kind of like camp.  As kids, my friends and my typical summer activities included raiding our various neighbors fruit trees, riding bikes all over town, going to the city hall to ride the one elevator in town or the JC Penney department store that had the only escalator, capturing polliwogs/tadpoles in ditches, going on day trips to the bay/delta/lake to fish.

Without doubt, the favorite activities for our guests who visit St. Lucia during the summer is Carnival in July.  Plus, Gros Islet Friday night street party, the frequent fetes and concerts, and the CPL (Caribbean Premier League) T20 cricket tournament are big draws to the island.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a lovely description @Debra300, thank you! 🙂 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hahaha @Debra300 despite the fact we live miles away from each other and across oceans, I too did some of those things growing up here in New Zealand, indeed I still do some of those things.

Did you catch eels as well in the drains/ ditches?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Helen427,

No, freshwater eels are more commonly found on the US East Coast, and I grew up thousands of miles/kilometers away in California on the West Coast. 

I don't know if there were sheep where you grew up, there was a sheep farm in my town, and it was always fun to see the lambs and the sheep after they had been freshly shorn.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Ann783  So many trips to Coney Island!  This morning I'm picking up my best friend and two of my daughters and heading to Jacob Riis or Jones Beach.

@Debra300 your description of summers in your childhood was wonderful.  The quintessential American childhood that I wish more kids could experience.

@Nick  Summer to me means the beach but like @Huma0 it's not as simple when you live in the middle of the city.  I'm going today but summer weekends also mean the parks are at their most beautiful, the farmers' markets have gorgeous produce, and the city can be very quiet outside the main tourist spots. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I know exactly what you mean @Ann72. Even though Athens has lots of beaches, still it doesn't mean you can always go there even if you leave in the city. To be fair, it's not the same as being on one of the islands anyway, although it's always good having the option. I hope you had a great break. It's my first day being back to work after 2 weeks 🙂