[GAME] What is your hosting personality?‌‌

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[GAME] What is your hosting personality?‌‌

Liv_0-1614008248421.png

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be cool for us to have some light-hearted fun while getting to know community members a bit better 😊

With that in mind, I came up with a quick quiz for us to find out more about your hosting personality. 

Here it is:

1. How do you start your day? 🌞

1. Having a lovely healthy breakfast and doing some yoga.
  2. Rolling up your sleeves to get some hard work done.
  3. You’re awake at the crack of dawn to add things to your list.
  4. The day doesn’t start until you’ve read the news and checked the CC.
  5. Who knows? Every day is different!

1. A guest has made some minor scratches on a piece of furniture. How do you handle it? 🔨

1. You reassure the guest that accidents happen and that you’re not upset at them.
  2. There’s no damage you can’t fix yourself. You just need to get your toolbox.
  3. 2 minutes after learning of the damage, you have already reached out to Airbnb and talked to a carpenter about the repair.
  4. You quickly log in to the Airbnb Resource Center and start doing some research on the best course of action.
  5. You invite the guest to go furniture shopping with you. Their treat.

1. How do you enjoy some time off from hosting (lockdown permitting)? 🏝

1. A relaxing day at a spa seems about right for you.
  2. Binge watching DIY tutorials online.
  3. Is this a joke? You enjoy being busy and don’t take time off.
  4. Vacation is always a great opportunity to lose yourself in your book collection.
  5. You’re either skydiving in New Zealand or going hiking at Yosemite. You’ll see.

1. You have just been awarded with a Superhost badge for the first time. How are you celebrating? 🕺

1. You’re thanking everyone that has helped you get there and thinking of how grateful you are for your accomplishment.
  2. You’re treating yourself to a brand new armchair. Made by you, obviously.
  3. You’re almost done planning a party. You just need to call the caterer and double check something with the balloon delivery guy.
  4. You do the math to see how you’ve earned the badge and to find out what numbers you’ll need to keep it.
  5. I’ll see where the night takes me.

1. You’re about to create your listing. What is your approach? 👩‍💻

1. No need to overthink it, you’ll just write what comes to mind.
  2. You do some last minute touch ups on your place so it looks great in the pictures.
  3. You have prepared a checklist of everything you need to make clear to guests so you don’t forget anything.
  4. You search for listings similar to yours on the Airbnb website to get a better idea of the best way to go about it.
  5. You’ll only write it when you feel inspired.

Now you can check your answers to find out your result! 🤓 📝

Mostly A’s: the zen host

Liv_1-1614008714507.png

No matter what life throws your way, you just take a deep breath, visualize flowers and rainbows and calmly carry on. No hosting disaster or demanding guest can make you lose your temper, you’re always tranquil and positive even in the eye of the storm. 😎

Mostly B’s: the fixer upper

Liv_2-1614008830107.png

DIY should be your middle name. If something needs fixing, you’re the person to call. You’re always coming up with different projects to improve your listing. If it involves a hammer, you’re in. 👨‍🏭

Mostly C’s: the multitasker

Liv_0-1614009728034.png

If you don’t manage more than one listing already, you certainly could. From cleaning to finances, you’re very used to juggling multiple tasks at once. Even though sometimes you feel overwhelmed, you always push it through! 🏂

Mostly D’s: the genius

Liv_7-1614009161490.png

If there were standardised tests on hosting, you’d most likely ace them all. You’re curious and always eager to learn more. You spend lots of time on research and enjoy using your Airbnb knowledge to help fellow hosts. 👨‍🏫

Mostly E’s: the adventurous

Liv_8-1614009221833.png

Is routine a word? You honestly don’t know. You’re always trying different furniture arrangements and coming up with ways to mix things up. A guest invited you out? You’re in. A fellow host proposed a house swap? Why not? You only live once. 🤠

Which type of host are you? Do you agree with the result?

Don’t forget you can be a mix of different personalities, too!

Have fun,

Liv

45 Replies 45

@Mary996  I am really sad to hear you've been bullied and hectored.  You are always positive and engaged.  Does that threaten people?  Yes, for some reason it does.

I wouldn't put too high a value on the "skills" of the disruptors, though.  Their motives are too painfully transparent.  

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Haha!! Yup... that's it. Absolutely brilliant response. Thank you.

Yes some people are irrelevant as they make themselves so. Nothing positive to say ...as if this organisation doesn't have anything to do with them and they can criticise it as if they are unrelated to it. Extraordinary and not good enough. We have to find ways to develop improvements and to take responsibilty for them including for ways of progressing those recommendations...which if respectfully suggested are likely to be taken up.

@Mary996  Yes!  I agree with you on this.  And we've seen positive change in the last year.  One example is the language used to guide guests through the review process.  Several hosts posted here about how negative it was, and under @Catherine-Powell's direction it was changed to be more positive.  There are other changes we would all like, but when you give some thought to each one, you can see how careful a company of Airbnb's size and scope has to be to avoid potential abuses of anything in its system.

In the meantime, while it's easy for all of us to believe we are naturally inclusive every day of the week, every week of the year, it's uncomfortable to look deep within and question that in a more meaningful way, over and over again.  Because that's what we as a society and as a community need to do to make real and lasting change.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Absolutely and thanks for bringing in Catherine. I hope she will see this. She is doing a really great job. Plus I am enthusiastic about @HostAdvisoryBoard. 

It is just starting but if we filter our priorities we can create a channel for communication. You have seen all of this through for so long dear Ann. I hope you have felt some support but if not know that its here now especially with @Dale711 now being on board. What a lightening rod. Its all so wonderful and frankly such a relief!! xxx

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 That sounds like a great balance!

And I see your contributions to the CC as a  perfect example of that, they're always a mixture of intelligence and positivity 🌺 🙌

Awwww @Liv - thank you!  You have made my day!  💐💐💐

Dianne31
Level 3
Noosa Heads, Australia

Me too. ☺️. I start my day with a long walk with the dog. Clears my head, get to chat to friends, then back home to work. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Same here @Ann72, a and d combined, but the answer to four for me, is none of the above! LOL

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cathie19! It looks like you and @Ann72 would make a great team 👭🥇

I can totally see you in those results! It's lovely to see you spread your kindness and positivity here.

But now I'm curious, what would your answer to number 4 be?

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Liv ,  none of the answers...

I never gave anyone a pat on the back, other than a “quiet yay” to me. Never did the maths, nor did I party.  😊 Just same o same o! 

@Liv 

My answers are all over the place. 

a - 2

b - 0

c,d,e - 1 each

So I guess I'm pretty zen with a touch of being a multitasker, a genius, and am a little bit adventurous. Definitely not a fixer-upper. Seems about right~ 😁 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nice, @Jessica-and-Henry0! A bit of balance can never hurt 😊 🏅

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

1. How do you start your day? 🌞

1. Having a lovely healthy breakfast and doing some yoga.
  2. Rolling up your sleeves to get some hard work done.
  3. You’re awake at the crack of dawn to add things to your list.
  4. The day doesn’t start until you’ve read the news and checked the CC.
  5. Who knows? Every day is different!

1. A guest has made some minor scratches on a piece of furniture. How do you handle it? 🔨

1. You reassure the guest that accidents happen and that you’re not upset at them.
  2. There’s no damage you can’t fix yourself. You just need to get your toolbox. (If they let me know and its an accident, I thank them for letting me know. However today a guest ruined sheets and duvet cover with some kind of purple dying project. I have no idea but will mention that in their review as they didn't mention it.) 
  3. 2 minutes after learning of the damage, you have already reached out to Airbnb and talked to a carpenter about the repair.
  4. You quickly log in to the Airbnb Resource Center and start doing some research on the best course of action.
  5. You invite the guest to go furniture shopping with you. Their treat.

1. How do you enjoy some time off from hosting (lockdown permitting)? 🏝

1. A relaxing day at a spa seems about right for you.
  2. Binge watching DIY tutorials online.
  3. Is this a joke? You enjoy being busy and don’t take time off.
  4. Vacation is always a great opportunity to lose yourself in your book collection. (I haven't had any time off but do get outdoors for exercise and like to read at the beach.)
  5. You’re either skydiving in New Zealand or going hiking at Yosemite. You’ll see.

1. You have just been awarded with a Superhost badge for the first time. How are you celebrating? 🕺

1. You’re thanking everyone that has helped you get there and thinking of how grateful you are for your accomplishment.
  2. You’re treating yourself to a brand new armchair. Made by you, obviously.
  3. You’re almost done planning a party. You just need to call the caterer and double check something with the balloon delivery guy.
  4. You do the math to see how you’ve earned the badge and to find out what numbers you’ll need to keep it. (For me its rewarding that guest love it. I have other options but don't want to get stuck with long term with someone who doesn't love it.)
  5. I’ll see where the night takes me.

1. You’re about to create your listing. What is your approach? 👩‍💻

1. No need to overthink it, you’ll just write what comes to mind. 
  2. You do some last minute touch ups on your place so it looks great in the pictures.
  3. You have prepared a checklist of everything you need to make clear to guests so you don’t forget anything.
  4. You search for listings similar to yours on the Airbnb website to get a better idea of the best way to go about it. (I take my own approach but also do a lot of research in general. I'm not very clickish. Guest must have recognized that it was accurate. In fact I try to avoid a lot of the smoke and mirrors other host use. I did pick up some ideas about house rules, but still take my own approach on everything beause its a little differnt. I notice some others copy my listing so closely its disapointing as that's not my style or personality, as the title should be unique and original.) 
  5. You’ll only write it when you feel inspired.

Edit: Wanted to add. I did a lot of research by googling things like "Should I include an ketchen with my bed and breakfast" when renovating.. Then when when it came time to creating my listing, I did it in one night. I wasn't even sure if I would use AirBnb or Vrbo, and had no experience with either. I created my membership by including email, then created entire listing in one go, and added the photos, that all took about 4 hours and listed it live. By the next morning I had my first reservation, then another and another, and they came pouring in booked out for months without the first review. The listing was a bit long but guest didn't mind. I trimmed it down by 75% but still pretty much the same. The host doesn't have to be perfect, just accurate.) 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 Looks like you're "the genius"!

It sounds about right, it's not hard to find threads where you're sharing your knowledge to help other hosts 🤓 🏆

It's really interesting to hear about how your hosting journey started. What other sorts of things have you changed with experience?

@Liv  I didn't know we could pick more than one! A lot of them seemed to fit pretty well. Super fun though. Yes, it really is amazing opportunity for anyone to be able to create a listing in a matter of hours. Creating the listing was the easy part. Everyone has a different tool set. No major changes but a lot of adjustments. I really enjoy hosting, so enjoy tying to chime in on other listings here at CC as I wish I had more of my own.  As far as any changes. Let's see. I tried including a cook top induction burner. Early on a guest wanted to book a week, which was huge for me, and asked if she could bring her own. I had in the listing not to cook anything greasy, and she said she wanted to cook oat meal and such, so I told her I'd get one and set of cookware for it. As it turned out she had to cancel because of covid. Then had to phase the cook top out as some guest would cook hamburgers the entire time and everything would be covered in grease, so learned its better to get rid of anything that causes stress, as I worried about that more than anything. Also the pull out sleeper didn't hold up so went from allowing 4 guest to 2. I think it helped in my first year allowing 4, but there is more going on with 4 guest instead of 2. I also just got a inquiry yesterday if couple could bring their infant. I really wanted to accommodate them but other parents with baby's didn't dispose of diapers properly, so haven't had time to research that yet. At first I allowed children but had to answer if it suitable for children and I said I had no idea what was suitable for children but they were still welcome. 🙂 Had a lot of families and not a single question about anything. Even the moms with babies would message asking if it was ok, I would be like yeah sure fine, come on. I really liked accommodating everyone, but it was more wear and tear and the pull out sleeper just wasn't holding up to groups of 4. And no one will message when they can't figure something out and just break it, so its much easier just hosting couples, and just have one policy everyone follows. It was fun messaging moms but might not even bother leaving a review after I move half the furniture out to make room for the play pin. BTW I was able to get most of the purple dye out of the sheets, only a tiny trace. For me I have to recognize that I can't overreact to something little. I think a bottle broke in guest suit case at the airport so seemed out of character. I'm still tying to figure out the best way to handle some situations that are borderline, so have been cautious the first year. A few families were really cool and were totally fine with their own air mattresses when the guest before them broke the frame of the pull out sleeper and I wouldn't have time to repair before their check in. Ok sorry for long post!! 🙂