[GAME] What is your hosting personality?‌‌

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[GAME] What is your hosting personality?‌‌

Liv_0-1614008248421.png

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be cool for us to have some light-hearted fun while getting to know community members a bit better 😊

With that in mind, I came up with a quick quiz for us to find out more about your hosting personality. 

Here it is:

1. How do you start your day? 🌞

1. Having a lovely healthy breakfast and doing some yoga.
  2. Rolling up your sleeves to get some hard work done.
  3. You’re awake at the crack of dawn to add things to your list.
  4. The day doesn’t start until you’ve read the news and checked the CC.
  5. Who knows? Every day is different!

1. A guest has made some minor scratches on a piece of furniture. How do you handle it? 🔨

1. You reassure the guest that accidents happen and that you’re not upset at them.
  2. There’s no damage you can’t fix yourself. You just need to get your toolbox.
  3. 2 minutes after learning of the damage, you have already reached out to Airbnb and talked to a carpenter about the repair.
  4. You quickly log in to the Airbnb Resource Center and start doing some research on the best course of action.
  5. You invite the guest to go furniture shopping with you. Their treat.

1. How do you enjoy some time off from hosting (lockdown permitting)? 🏝

1. A relaxing day at a spa seems about right for you.
  2. Binge watching DIY tutorials online.
  3. Is this a joke? You enjoy being busy and don’t take time off.
  4. Vacation is always a great opportunity to lose yourself in your book collection.
  5. You’re either skydiving in New Zealand or going hiking at Yosemite. You’ll see.

1. You have just been awarded with a Superhost badge for the first time. How are you celebrating? 🕺

1. You’re thanking everyone that has helped you get there and thinking of how grateful you are for your accomplishment.
  2. You’re treating yourself to a brand new armchair. Made by you, obviously.
  3. You’re almost done planning a party. You just need to call the caterer and double check something with the balloon delivery guy.
  4. You do the math to see how you’ve earned the badge and to find out what numbers you’ll need to keep it.
  5. I’ll see where the night takes me.

1. You’re about to create your listing. What is your approach? 👩‍💻

1. No need to overthink it, you’ll just write what comes to mind.
  2. You do some last minute touch ups on your place so it looks great in the pictures.
  3. You have prepared a checklist of everything you need to make clear to guests so you don’t forget anything.
  4. You search for listings similar to yours on the Airbnb website to get a better idea of the best way to go about it.
  5. You’ll only write it when you feel inspired.

Now you can check your answers to find out your result! 🤓 📝

Mostly A’s: the zen host

Liv_1-1614008714507.png

No matter what life throws your way, you just take a deep breath, visualize flowers and rainbows and calmly carry on. No hosting disaster or demanding guest can make you lose your temper, you’re always tranquil and positive even in the eye of the storm. 😎

Mostly B’s: the fixer upper

Liv_2-1614008830107.png

DIY should be your middle name. If something needs fixing, you’re the person to call. You’re always coming up with different projects to improve your listing. If it involves a hammer, you’re in. 👨‍🏭

Mostly C’s: the multitasker

Liv_0-1614009728034.png

If you don’t manage more than one listing already, you certainly could. From cleaning to finances, you’re very used to juggling multiple tasks at once. Even though sometimes you feel overwhelmed, you always push it through! 🏂

Mostly D’s: the genius

Liv_7-1614009161490.png

If there were standardised tests on hosting, you’d most likely ace them all. You’re curious and always eager to learn more. You spend lots of time on research and enjoy using your Airbnb knowledge to help fellow hosts. 👨‍🏫

Mostly E’s: the adventurous

Liv_8-1614009221833.png

Is routine a word? You honestly don’t know. You’re always trying different furniture arrangements and coming up with ways to mix things up. A guest invited you out? You’re in. A fellow host proposed a house swap? Why not? You only live once. 🤠

Which type of host are you? Do you agree with the result?

Don’t forget you can be a mix of different personalities, too!

Have fun,

Liv

45 Replies 45
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh, there's no need to apologise! @John5097 

It's always great hearing about hosts' experiences, thanks for sharing 😊

It's really nice that you were eager to go above and beyond for accommodating every guest, but it does make perfect sense that it might not be sustainable in the long run. It's good see you're finding a balance! Best of luck on your hosting journey 🏘

@Liv Yes the entire situation from the get go was all about finding a compromise and balance! It's all kind of interesting. I've noticed local start ups address some of the issues I'm encountering that involve sustainability can actually be an opportunity for the right person. Yes, balance has been key to enjoying hosting journey, so thanks for the well wishes!  

@John5097 I read your message with interest as I am new to hosting, just since December.  I agree you need to let go of the small items that can be annoying and every guest will be different.  I have a three bedroom house with a pull out couch.  So far not used the couch but your comment on how to use it is helpful for when we do.  I agree those with children do make more mess, little more damage or walls marked.  All small stuff but they do take time to bring the house back to scratch.  Like you, I would prefer couples, so much easier.  I have even bought different towels for couples, e.g. white and navy blue, as I have found it so annoying to get our towels mixed up when staying somewhere if they are both white.  I supply a towel. hand towel and face washer, then a navy blue bath mat, so all the blue can be washed together and the whites in with the sheets.  I am now searching for help with marketing as I've had reasonably good bookings but unfortunately, despite being very happy with the stay, they either haven't or given short review.  I can now see being part of this CC group will be very helpful.  🙂

@Lyn5636 I took a glance at your listing and looks very encouraging. You already got perfect reviews so that will really help. Isn't Australia still on lockdown? Hopefully it will start picking back up soon for you. Mine is just a single bedroom flat. I actually liked families, preferred them early on, and miss them. Just last night a mom asked if she could bring her family of 4 with 8 year old twins. I asked if they had an air mattress and it worked out. The only thing that was more work for me was the extra sheets and blankets to wash. I wash all the bedding between guest. But really didn't mind early on as it helped keep me booked during the past year. However its a lot of extra laundry, bedding to buy, and sheets and towels tend to get stained. Families also go to bed early and I'm in a residential neighborhood. Only one 4 year old smudged some windows, and some kids in town for a soccer tournament smudged the wall a little turning on a light switch. But I do miss most of the families. Sometimes the girls would pick and leave wildflowers and the entire family has a wonderful time when their kids are happy, and of course love the beach. The pull out sleeper couch was broken twice by 20 something year olds who adjusted the head rest up and didn't put it down and tried to force it closed. So then was left with a broken couch out as a bed that's huge and heavy with next guest checking in in a few hours.  I really think you have to decide for yourself what works best for your situation. I would rather just charge for the extra bed and not by extra person. If there was a way to include pets at time of booking for a fee would consider that as well. My space is also small so really kind of tight for more than 2, so kind of reluctant to charge more. It was just a great budget friendly option for groups of four, but was usually the parents who either ran the WD non stop, cooked greasy food, so wouldn't even break even on all the extra bedding and towels. Also there are a ton of weddings here or groups of 4 would be more inclined to party or invite more people over. Its just a lot more going on, but kids were never actually the problem. I actually like to see them running around and being kids even when I go out to eat somewhere. So while I wish I could host more families and let them stay if they have their own air mattress I find you can get into trouble doing people favors if you really aren't set up for it or the place is too small. Sorry for rambling. I really think you will figure out what works best. It's usually minor changes. I'm confident you will continue to be an outstanding host. I've found being super clean, accurate, quick to respond is enough to maintain great reviews. Oh, if they say they had a great time on check out, I thank them and might mention, "feel free to leave a review, if not no worries!" The CC is great but you really have to be your own self and own host. I really appreciate your comment and good luck with your hosting journey! 

@Lyn5636 I was also hoping parents would just sneak their kids in, that way I wouldn't have to provide extra bedding. 🙂 Maybe Airbnb should start including ESC (Emotional Support Children) and to just encourage them to just bring them along. I mean technically, at least, humans are animals and an iguana is a reptile, and a lot of host may not realize they are signing up to be a zoo keeper.   

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Fun thread @Liv ! 

1-   Im Definitely a CDB to begin the day (5AM or earlier, no alarm needed), a quick check of the news and CC and Im off to the races, time to talk little and do much!!!!!   

2-  Stuff happens and you can't sweat it too much so I guess that makes me a Bwhen it comes to a little damage that a guest didn't mean to create, most things can be repaired quicker than it takes to worry and report to the mothership, bitchen, pissin and moaning aint fixin anything.   

3-  a Cfor sure when it comes to vacationing, vacations to somewhere are scary and fraught with too many possible challenges and should be avoided at all costs!  Every day is a work day, some are just different work than others.   Fixing, building and other constructing is the fun that enriches my on days and most of my off ones as well.  The U tube vids are prep and quick study for things I have no clue how to do that I need to do not just things and stuff in general.     

4-   BD when it comes to superhost, memorialize it with a cool project but I dont wanna just get it once, need get it always and make it better every time!   Thats harder to do as the days go by but little things matter and my mantra will never be "This is the way we always do things here", thats a stagnation death blow I dont wish to reach.  

5-   Last but not least, Im BD on 5,  Preparing the space to make its form  presentable and functional is higher priority than getting the online listing perfect, tweaking the written details will come over time between projects that actually improve the guests stay!  That said, I tweak or change our listings weekly and sometimes daily.  Im not shy about stealing other hosts ideas and using them, i play search games often to see whats hitting and what isnt, thats a great rainy day thing to do and I try to sneak it in at least weekly.

Looks like I'm a BCD 'er ,  let me explain-

One of my favorite expressions is "There are no problems, Only solutions.  It only becomes a problem when you run out of solutions."  My Greek name if I had one would be  "Solutious", fixing broken things and situations is my #1 talent, fixing people on the other hand is James Taylors job not mine (see handyman song), so #1 first and always, Im a B.   My mom is/ was my inspiration, she was never limited by, "I don't know how to do something".  She was widowed young with 3 young kids and a 200 year old 12 room home was in bad shape.  She and we  would gut 2 or 3 rooms every summer and rebuild them from scratch.   Even before utube, she would figure out how to do it and get it done by asking pro friends and neighbors to tell her how to do it.     

Someone once told me "Your so cheap you wouldn't pay a dime to watch Christ ride a Tricycle", thats probably true when it comes to me and DIY, why pay someone else to do what I can do for free?  So my second objective is to wear as many hats per day as necessary which seems to fall into the C Zone.  I try very hard not to wear any two at once, multi tasking with saws or hammers is dangerous and inadvisable!   Drills and spills require two different JR's, one is John the Carpenter, the other is Johnny the Custodian, doing them both at once creates undesirable outcomes too often.  

Lastly, Im a modified D when it comes to figuring stuff out, not brilliant for sure but creative and driven to find out how to do something Ive never done or better everything I do every time I do it.   I find most everything I do has room for improvement and the answers are all out there as to how to do that even if I'm not actually all that smart or educated.   

What I have found as an older person that spends very little time in a Barcalounger and isnt wealthy with cash (only practical knowledge ), life experiences are my greatest and most relevant Items in my Tool box and Larder, most of which Ive leaned from do-ers not teachers.  Me in a nut shell, Stay well, JR 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Melodie-And-John0 That's such a beautiful take on "the fixer upper" and a lovely description of you as a host! 

I really like your solution focused approach and your view on the value of being hands-on. It really must be amazing feeling independent and able to face anything. 

Thank you so much for playing, it's really nice getting to know you a bit better 😊

Thanks @Liv , I didn't start out knowing how to DIY, it has been a lifetime project to learn how to do these things.  You can do it too, start small and build on it slowly, all the sudden, you turn aground and you are the one telling folks how to get things done!   JR

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a great reminder, @Melodie-And-John0! It's always good to remember that everything is a process and takes time👌

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

Love it! I'm a MIX...so cool. Thank you. Jue, Kenya

JMM
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Just wanted to say 'Hi' @Jue0 . My best friend at school came from Kenya xx

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

@Mary996 Hello Mary 😊...Nice meeting here. Welcome to Kenya. Jue

JMM
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Yay! Lovely to meet you too @Jue0  A real pleasure. Hoping very much to see more of you around the Community Centre xx With love from Mary

Susan329
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

None of the answers could be answered as it appears ABNB is only looking for positive, looks like AirBNB think all guests are grea, lot of propaganda i am 65 and worked in the service industry for over 40 years.

I agree with some of the reply not able to find answer for all questions.

Liv just read many of the community online for correct answers of hosts. None could answer your question. Malicious Damage is what it is and they should pay for it a broken glass or plate yes that is acceptable and say it happens and can be replaced but malicious guest pays especially when they break house rules and book for 8 guests and then have 15 stay or even 30 and have a party yes they book for 8 for a week end and use a party house, those who book for 16 or more are usually genuine nice family guests.

Lisa-Marie21
Level 2
Crosby, TX

Oh my goodness! What a fun quiz! So creative and actually quite thought-provoking. I enjoyed reading each of the answers and saw myself in a couple of answers for each one. Thank you for this. So much fun.🥰