GAME: Where in the world?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

GAME: Where in the world?

303194_MasonTrinca_1698_R.jpg

Hi everyone, 

We haven’t had a game for a while, and I thought this one would be apt: in these times, we’re not travelling so much or so far, but what better opportunity to reminisce on our past adventures and have a bit of fun travelling virtually?

The name of the game here is to guess ‘where in the world’ the photo shows. It’s a cropped photo of a famous location… can you guess?

Whoever guesses correctly can then challenge us with a picture of their own to guess. 

I’ll kick things off - I hope you enjoy 🙂

fds0.png

184 Replies 184

@Robin4 @Katie  I was also going to say Buddhist temple, but that's all I know 😉

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michelle53 

I have wandered amongst those bells , they are surprisingly large, you can actually put your head in those holes!

Cheers......Rob 

@Robin4  Looks fascinating !   I haven't visited that part of the world at all.    (yet).

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michelle53 

Indonesia is a fabulous place, from the magnificent resorts in Seminyak to Ubud in the mountains with their monkeys that will steal anything that is not nailed down ....It's a beautiful part of the world!......

I stake my claim on Borobudur from @Katie 's picture.

Cheers......Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Katie 

Katie, we live in a global community, while some play, others sleep!

Where are you? it's 1.30 am here and I want to give it away for the evening....go and get some shut eye. 

Where are those bloody stone bells???

Cheers........Rob

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 you are so speedy and 100% right, this is Borobudur! 

Good eye @Michelle53 too - yep, it's a Buddhist temple in Java, Indonesia. Apparently it's the biggest in the world - amazing to walk around and climb up, views for miles around. You should definitely visit if you get the chance (there are some other temples close by which are also worth visiting) 😊

@Robin4 once you wake up again it's your turn, let us guess one of your pics 😃

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Katie 

What do you mean 'wake up', I gave myself a few minutes on the piano. Hey next time we do a Zoom catch-up  I want to do something on the piano if it's ok with you.

Geez Katie it is amazing, there is just so much of it Borobudur I mean, is that your photo? Have you been there and seen it? The western world just doesn't know good some of these eastern wonders are.

From our fabulous room in the Garden Cliff resort in Pataya in Thailand we saw this .....

IMAG0288.JPG

We were intrigued by it because it was massive, it didn't seem to be on any of the tourist brochures so we thought we would go an check it out!

IMAG0293.JPG

It's called 'The Sanctuary of Truth' .......It is larger than the Gaudi Sagrada Familia  in Barcelona,

it was started in 1987 and it will never be finished.......

IMAG0302.JPG

IMAG0303.JPG

Inside it is 100 metres from the floor to the top of the dome and there is not a nut or bold or screw in the entire construction! It is all held together with wooden 'dove tail' joints. It is simply the most amazing structure I have ever seen....and yet nobody knows about it....you just stumble on it!

They have 400 carpenters working on the timber that will go into the structure year in year out

IMAG0314.JPG

This has got to be one of the modern wonders of the world, you need to put it on your must see list!

Okay my turn, my contribution!

I am lead to believe this is the biggest musical instrument of its type  in the world.....the orange thing I mean, not Ade!

The big Fiddle.jpg

Where is it?

Cheers.......Rob

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha @Robin4 you are a real night owl! Yes definitely, I would love to hear your piano skills on the next meetup 🎹

Ahh I visited Pattaya too as my grandfather was living there at the time, sadly I missed this magnificent structure though! 

Hmmm I'm not sure on this musical instrument, any ideas @Ann72 @Michelle53 @Emilia42🤔

@Katie  No idea 😉   Sorry....

@Katie @Robin4   The first things I thought of were Graceland, Opryland, or Dollywood, but I didn't know if Rob and Ade had traveled to any of those places.  Also, I didn't know if it was a violin, a cello, a viola, or a guitar.  So finally, I just went ahead and Googled "largest violin in the world," and I discovered something in SYDNEY - Nova Scotia!  The largest "ceilidh kok" in the world.  So that got me to wondering if, after docking in Bar Harbor, Rob and Ade continued up the North American coast to Nova Scotia and encountered this fiddle.  It makes sense, so I'm going to say that's what it is - the largest fiddle in the world located in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72 

Ah Ann....anyone who takes you for a mug is no fool!!!

It is indeed Sydney Nova Scotia!

DSCN1716.jpg

I said that to a girl I had working for me once. She had an opinion on anything and everything (bit like me I guess) , she was sprouting forth about something and I said to her, "No doubt about it, Francie, anyone who takes you for a mug is no fool". She never thought about it for a second, she shot back...."That's right".......looking all proud of herself!!!

The east side of Canada just assaults your senses!

From the beauty of Quebec, down the east coast they seem to mastered the art of the culinary ridiculous.......

DSCN1703.jpg

And as you can plainly say, they take the berthing of their shipping extremely seriously!!

DSCN1699 2.jpg

Our 119,000 ton Eurodamn may have encountered difficulty in berthing had it not been for the assistance of Theodore Too!

Good one Ann! what can you challenge us with this time?

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  As usual, you've got me smiling ear to ear.  That was an amazing trip you and Ade took, and those pictures are priceless.  Some day I swear I'm going to make it up to Novia Scotia and I'll look for that bacon.  Taxes included!  (That made me laugh.)

I've got one, but I have to doctor it a bit.  Back soon!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Can I just say, Ade getting MS was the best thing that could happen to us! We realised that our time here is finite, 'things come and go, but memories are forever!' You need to make the most of every day because you don't know what is around the corner! We turned our lives around, I wound my business down and we spent the best part of two decades doing nothing but travelling ! We spent our retirement, but Airbnb is helping us to get around that with the income they are providing. 

There are not many places in the world we haven't been and seen , so, what ever you put up here, there is a fair chance we have a fond memory of it!

Cheers.......Rob 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 and Ade, I sincerely hope you get to see as much as of the world as possible. Have a beautiful day 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi Yadira, 

I am afraid those days are in the past now, Ade's mobility makes travelling very difficult. In April 2019 we booked an around Australia cruise due to be taken end of next month. That has had to be cancelled and we have elected to have our payment back rather than use it as a credit for a subsequent cruise. It may be another year before it is safe to start cruising again, and Yadira, when you get to our age, it's not a good idea to make plans a year out any more!

We are so glad we lived our life the way we did. Most of our international travel was done between 1990 and 2015, every year we went somewhere. Prior to 1999 we had a small motorhome that we traveled all over Australia in

The Barbie Star traveller.jpg

It was small but it was well equipped, it was air conditioned had it's own shower and toilet and slept 4 adults comfortably. In that box on the back was a 3 metre inflatable boat and a 10 HP outboard, both us and the kids used to have a great time on the various Aussie rivers squirting around in it!

Ducky on the River.jpg

We made sure we made the most of our lives and we have the most wonderful memories to look back on. It seems strange to say that it took a terminal illness to make us get our best out of life but Yadira,  that's the reality of it!

Cheers........Rob