[Game] Anagrams: Dishes of the world

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

[Game] Anagrams: Dishes of the world

Jenny_0-1653563516853.jpeg

Hello everyone!

As the song says, “food, glorious food, we’re anxious to try it”.  There are so many delicious international dishes available, and travelling gives us the opportunity to try food that we might not have tried before.  You might even have discovered a new dish after hosting a guest from another country.

With that in mind, I’d like to start a new game.

The rules are easy!  Below I’ve listed twenty international dishes, and scrambled the letters up, so it’s your task to unscramble the letters and tell me what the dishes are!  Bonus points if you can tell me the country that the dish comes from!

Haggis - Scotland

Cheese Fondue - Switzerland

Pho - Vietnam

Dim sum - China

Tagine

Meat Pie - Australia

Moules-Frites - Belgium

Poutine - Canada

Frikadeller - Denmark

Fish and Chips - England

Crêpe - France

Moussaka - Greece

Nasi Goreng - Indonesia

Lasagne - Italy

Sushi - Japan

Kibbeh - Lebanon

Enchiladas

Kimchi - Korea

Bigos - Poland

Paella - Spain

I hope you enjoy the game!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

42 Replies 42
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Helen744 . number three pho  pronounced fo . Vietnam H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Yes!  Well done @Helen744 for getting the first one!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is making me really hungry already @Jenny 😄

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Ralf5 @Laurelle3 @Emiel1 @Pam5 @Mauricio467 @Clara116 @Michelle1164 @Till-and-Jutta0 @Ann72 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Michelle53  @J-Renato0 @Laura2484 @Sharon1014 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Yannis37 @Helen350 @Cathie19 @Mika8 Since you took part in some of our previous games, I thought you might want to have a go at this one! I'll also tag our cookbook author @Mazda2 - this is right down your alley 🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny 5th one is Tagine

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Oukmasas = Moussaka - Greece

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Emiel1 Both correct, thanks for having a go here! 

I have such wonderful memories of tagines from when I lived in Morocco. I remember in particular the ones with candied lemon which will forever be a firm favourite of mine. If you ever get a chance to try that, I'd highly recommend. 🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emilie 

Actually i never heared of it... Google shows me it is a way of cooking in a pot with same name.

So this thread is also educating....

So i try another one:

Idm-ums: Dim sum - China

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 Correct again!

I don't know about you, but I love discovering the different versions of dumplings that different cuisines have developed, and only tried Dim Sum for the first time a few months ago. A lot more to taste and explore there ... 

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny is no 16  Kibbeh made from minced meat, rice and seasoning shaped into a ball and cooked.

We have had this dish from a Lebanese resturant, so guessing from Lebanon.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny is no 20 Paella.

We have had this while we were doing the El Comino pilgram (Spain) 3 years ago with the family.

We have had Paella also in Mexico both tasted good from memory.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 Lovely to have you here as well! Both of these are correct. I've never tried kibbeh, what did you think of it? 

Whenever I have paella, it's the little crust you sometimes get at the bottom that is the most prized part of the dish. 😄

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Emilie Kibbeh was served with chickpea salad and tabbouleh. Kibbeh just taste like a meat ball. Yum.

The paella I am not a real fan of,  but it tastes good. I would rather have Chinese special fried rice.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 Fried rice is on the menu weekly for me and my partner! I don't know if ours would qualify as special, but once you get your hands on some of the specific spices and seasonings, it's oh-so tasty. Do you make it or order it usually? If the former, I'd happily trade tips 🧑‍🍳

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Emilie I made fried rice when the children were young regularly and we had it as a main meal. Made with rice, eggs, bacon, chicken, prawns, onions celery, capscicum, carrot, peas, corn, galic, ginger, curry powder, sesame oil, soy sauce, chilli sauc. Fried separetly then mixed together.

Today, we tend to have a take away special fried ricefor two,  unless all the family are here together.

Is No 1 Haggis from Scotland.

In the past we have had a Robbie Burns dinner party with friends on his birthday 25th January. This day has a meaning for our family as my husbands father was born in Scotland. We had all worn our kilts for the occassion and the Haggis was paraded into the room and served at the table.  

I made the Haggis and ommitted the lambs heart and lung substituted it with lambs liver my version of the receipe.

We finished the night with singing "Auld Lang Syne".