[Game] Anagrams: Dishes of the world

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

[Game] Anagrams: Dishes of the world

Jenny_0-1653563516853.jpeg

Hello everyone!

As the song says, “food, glorious food, we’re anxious to try it”.  There are so many delicious international dishes available, and travelling gives us the opportunity to try food that we might not have tried before.  You might even have discovered a new dish after hosting a guest from another country.

With that in mind, I’d like to start a new game.

The rules are easy!  Below I’ve listed twenty international dishes, and scrambled the letters up, so it’s your task to unscramble the letters and tell me what the dishes are!  Bonus points if you can tell me the country that the dish comes from!

Haggis - Scotland

Cheese Fondue - Switzerland

Pho - Vietnam

Dim sum - China

Tagine

Meat Pie - Australia

Moules-Frites - Belgium

Poutine - Canada

Frikadeller - Denmark

Fish and Chips - England

Crêpe - France

Moussaka - Greece

Nasi Goreng - Indonesia

Lasagne - Italy

Sushi - Japan

Kibbeh - Lebanon

Enchiladas

Kimchi - Korea

Bigos - Poland

Paella - Spain

I hope you enjoy the game!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

42 Replies 42
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emiel1  I gave it one more try and discovered one -

8:  Poutine - Canada

@Jenny I had poutine for the first time when I went to Canada in 2019.  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann72 

I already found that one (see 30 july) , including a demonstration how to make it :>).

But @Jenny  is not updating the list, maybe she has eaten to much of the dishes we already found and needs a break before to continue with the remaining ones....

That does seem possible, @Emiel1  😳

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 @Ann72 @Laurelle3 @Mike-And-Jane0 Sorry guys! I've just updated the list for you, poutine and enchiladas were indeed correct guesses. 😃

As clues for the remaining ones, perhaps I can give you the countries linked to the dishes? 

6 - Australia

7 - Belgium

9 - Denmark

10 - England

13 - Indonesia

What do you think, any more ideas with those in mind? 🙂

Emilie 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny @Emilie No  6 is it Meat Pie yes we eat them but I would consider them from our mother country. England. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 You got it! Fair point - I think many anglo-saxon dishes kind of overlap, don't they? It's one of the great things about cuisine, you can see how dishes travelled and evolved as cultures and nations did. 🙂 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Emilie @Jenny is no 10 Fish and Chips. One year we were staying in Whey- on- Went and we queued for over an hour for fish and chips in a shop that had served them for over 100 years the advertisement said.

To our Aussie tastes they had thick batter and were fatty and they weren't worth the waste of time but we did enjoy the conversations with the people in the front and behind us. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 Shame they weren't the best, hopefully you'll get a chance to have a proper good one sometime - they can be delightful! 😊 Did you get vinegar on your chips to make it even more authentic?

-----

Emiel1
Level 10

@Emilie 

9:  Frikadeller - Denmark

13: Nasi Goreng - Indonesia

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Correct yet again, @Emiel1! I've never tried either of those dishes actually ... have you? 👀 

-----

Emiel1
Level 10

@Emilie 

Nasi Goreng is also a popular dish in The Netherlands, not only in Indonesian / Chinese restaurants but also to cook at home.

I never tried the Danish Frikadeller. Wikipedia shows me it is related to  "meatballs".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikadeller

BTW

In NL we have a snack with almost same name, it is called "Frikandel".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikandel

So now there is one unknown dish in the game (Belgium)

When i think of Belgium in Dutch (Flemisch) language,  first "patat" or "friet" (UK: fries) comes to my mind ! But also mossel (UK: mussel)

Then suddenly i released: it is all in French language !

Moules Frites   (Mussels with fries)

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 That one was super tricky, well done! Moules-Frites is such a classic in Belgium, as well as in the north of France (which I'm more familiar with personally).

Frikandel does sound very similar to Frikadeller ... @Sybe and @Quincy does it bring back memories from home? ☺️

-----

Must see it's hard