Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How dependent are you on your phone?

How dependent are you on your mobile phone_.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well!

Today, I thought we could discuss mobile phones and their place in our lives! Do you have a mobile? If so, how dependent are you on it? In this day and age, I know that a lot of people own mobile phones, and can sometimes be entirely dependent on them for various reasons. I have to say, I do think having a phone is convenient in case you get lost—you can always use Google maps to find your way back again!

Do you think that you could you live without a mobile phone? If not, which function or app on your phone do you use the most?

I look forward to hearing your answers 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

13 Replies 13
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Quincy0 Didn’t think I was, but having no electricity in Florida with Irma for 36 hours and trying to make that last bar last as long as possible then I would say yes to that question. Having said that I often leave the phone at home or sitting under the car seat with no thought for it at all. 🙂 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

This seems like a silly question coming from an employee of a company that has designed a mobile app.

Of course we as Airbnb hosts are dependent on our mobile phone - we could not conduct Airbnb busisness without it!

I even hate when my guests don't sign up for data service. They pay hundreds of dollars to fly from Germany, but refuse to pay $20 for data. Then they show up at your door without communcating . Grrr....

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I think now a Phone is like an ID that you have to carry with you. In Thailand, we use Message App call Line. It's been used more than a normal call. Google map also useful and of course Airbnb app for business. I try to reduce time with a phone by use function Do not disturb in a night. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The mobile phone has become part of our daily lives now :-). 

I use my phone for many things, from booking a flight to ordering a takeaway. 

At night my phone goes on the 'Do not disturb mode' as well. 

-----

Lee162
Level 2
Vietnam

i think it is an important thing everyone should own for this modern life. But i have been dependent on my phone so much, and now it make me hard to talk a new person in real life 😞

Liga2
Level 5
Riga, Latvia

Mobile phone makes life more easy as long as you don`t get too addicted with all fun apps 🙂 Mobile definitely makes communication like a dream, specially nowadays when you have friends and family all over the world.

When I`m on vacation I do not use my mobile too much but sometimes when you are waiting in a line or travelling by train I love to check out some inspirational apps and reads some travel tips and so on.

My favorite apps:

*Airbnb

*Google

*Instagram

Happy & Sunny Regards from Riga/Latvia

Liga

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Nowdays everyone under the age of 40 seems to be walking around with their smart phone glued to their hand as if it's a body appendage. They barely look up from it even when walking down a busy street or stepping onto a subway or bus. My 35 year old daughter invited me to a little house party she was having and everyone was looking at their phones and texting. People used to smile or strike up a conversation with someone sitting next to them on a bus- now they don't even relate to where they are and instead are smiling or laughing at something on the phone. Personally I find it depressing.

I use an old-school Nokia dumb phone for calling and texting. It doesn't have apps or anything. My laptop takes care of the rest. And my life is just fine.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sarah977,

I understand what you mean here :-). 

You would be amazed by the number of people who have their neck at 45 degrees in the tube. 

I'll see if I can get you an example sometime. 

-----

Carl41
Level 2
Bradenton, FL

I try to make it a habit to power down my electronics everyday, its refreshes me.

In Health 

Carl

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Carl41, reading a book as I listen to music (Dotan) does me well in the evening :-). 

-----

Jake0
Level 5
Coeur d'Alene, ID

I run 95% of my vacation rental business through my phone, so yea pretty dependent 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

When I was hosting, I was very dependent on my phone as well! 

It was very convenient to handle everything through the app :-). 

-----

Jean286
Level 2
Orlando, FL

@QuincySadly phones went from being a simple communication tool (call and text) to a true necessity (with the smart phones). Now they are like mini computers which only increases our dependence to them, 90% of the tasks done on a computer can be done on a smart phone. On top of that, the addition of the camera made it the perfect tool for personnel and business use.

Smart watches are just another sign that the future is on wearables.