Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you plan your holidays?

How do you plan your holidays_.png

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well.

Today, I was wondering how you plan your holidays. What are the key factors you consider when planning your trip? Maybe, you look for a place nearby the beach, or perhaps you have other preferences?

When I plan my holidays, I prefer doing this well in advance, but I also check if the location and price are ok. My previous vacation was on an island in Greece named Zakynthos and we had most of the must-visit places nearby our place.

Are there any tips and tricks that you could recommend?

Pfeww, I look forward to going on holidays now 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

7 Replies 7
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Quincy Never plan holidays just go for it and enjoy the adventure!

Hello @Quincy

Holiday planning for Henry and me usually starts anywhere from 6 months to 1 year in advance. In Korea, 1 week vacations are the norm (max 8~9 days) so we try to stick to destinations with flights that are under 6hrs.

Henry and I are budget travellers so we try to get early bird flights. Of course, all the the heavy lifting planning and getting reservations is done by Henry LOL! We usually get cheap flights and and stay at lower priced places on or around the arrival/departure dates while spending at least half of the trip (usually smack in the middle) at a nice hotel or resort. During our time at the nice hotel/resort we try to stay in to enjoy the facilities.

Our most recent vacation was 3 weeks in Chiang Mai end of last year when I was between jobs. (the good old days~~) 

Also we took a weekend trip to Tongyeong with a group of our friends in June, and have plans to be in Boracay next January for 1 week. Can't wait for January!!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds great @Jessica-and-Henry0

I like to plan my holidays early as well instead of going last minute which is why I am planning a trip to Edinburgh (Scotland) in January where I'll meet up with some friends as well! Currently, I'm still checking whether I should take the train or go by plane.

Is there any airline company you would recommend should I travel to Asia sometime? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy

Well from the UK to Korea would be an 11~12hr direct flight if I remember correctly....... so I guess anywhere in Asia would end up being at least 10hrs?? When Henry and I book flights we aren't partial to any specific airline though. All we look at is the departure/arrival times and prices 🙂  

Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Quincy

I always look up the council websites or events page of where I will be visiting to see if there are is anything special on in the area.  If I have flexibility with dates I will try to time the stay to catch special things that are going on in the city while there.  This makes it interesting when you are planning a road trip and have many options on where to stop.

Our biggest festival month is August with events every weekend and I am suprised how many guests are not aware that they have booked for a special day!  I do put a link for each of them to look up events in the area when they are here but this does not seem a popular practice!  I suppose there could be some extra delight when they are informed that there is a special evening they can attend during their stay.

Lisa

Liga2
Level 5
Riga, Latvia

Travel Planning is so much fun 🙂

I love to ask my guests which are their 3 favorite places in the world and I have received completely different and exciting destinations. Sometimes I have so awesome guests that I love them so much and they invite me to visit their beautiful countries. It`s always more fun to explore a new country if you have good friend living there 🙂

When I`m planning my adventures most important is the location! I love to stay in the center that I can easily tour around and explore. Of course I love to see the nature and countryside but I feel most comfortable when I can just walk around and enjoy the moment.

Very important for me is to have some freedom while travelling, if I like the place I stay few extra days and do last minute bookings. Sometimes on the way you meet some great people and You decide to add one more country to your adventures.

Keep travelling and enjoy the moment 🙂

Happy & Sunny Regards from Riga/Latvia

Liga

Michael1560
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

ALL MY LIFE AT A YOUNG AGE I'VE TRAVELED MY GRANDFATHER MADE THAT POSSIBLE EVERY YEAR NOT ESCLUDING SIX FLAGGS AND DISNELAND

I UTILIZE HIS TRAVELING SKILLS BY ALMOST ALWAYS PLANNING A 6-12 MONTHS IN ADVANCE SO THAT MY ADVENTURE IS ENJOYABLE FOR ALL INCLUDED

I LIVED NEAR THE BEACH AND SO I STILL LIKE THE SOUND OF THE OCEAN AND THE COOL BREEZE VISITING MY FACE I NORMALLY STAY IN AREAS THAT OFFER THAT SAME FEELING GOSH I SLEEP SO WELL WHEN I OPEN THE WINDOW TO SMELL THE OCEAN

CALL ME SILLY BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD FOR ME TO LAYOUT ALL MY CLOTHES MONTHS IN ADVANCE TRYING ON EACH OUTFIT NUMEROUS TIMES SO I AM COMFORTABLE ON MY VACA

I ALWAYS ASK MY GROUP IN ADVANCE TO HELP ME PICK A STAY BY WRTING DOWN A PLACE AS I DESCRIBED ON A PEACE OF PAPER WHERE WE PULL THE PAPER OUT OF THE HAT AND THATS NORMALLY OUR VACATION GETAWAY 🙂