Is cycling popular in your area?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Is cycling popular in your area?

cycling popular 2.0.png 

Hello everyone,

I hope you've all had a wonderful weekend I went to the Hot Air Balloon Festival in Bristol last weekend which I recommend, I hope you did something nice too. 

Some of you may or may not have been to Amsterdam. The first thing you notice there are the people on bicycles. Back home in The Netherlands, I have a bicycle for off road/trail cycling, a casual bicycle for when you want to cycle to work, and a bicycle for when you go out to the city centre on a Saturday with your friends for a pint or two 🙂

This made me wonder if cycling is popular in your area? Do you cycle to work or do you cycle for fun? 

Here's some information about 'Cycling in The Netherlands'—Have a look if you're interested. 

Here's is the link to the 'Suggest an off-topic' post—Feel free to post any ideas!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It is flat and quiet and pretty in this part of my province, but cycling is not as popular as it could be, @Quincy. We're part of Ontario By Bike, a group of businesses hoping to change that and attract tourists on bicycles. What's fun right now is that I, an Airbnb host, am working with a chain motel manager (!) to put together a package that would allow cyclists to pedal to attractions and accommodations daily during their trip without being encumbered by their luggage. The motel and I (and hopefully other hosts) would transport the bags, arrange various routes and logistics. We are talking with a bicycle rental place as well, and a canoe/kayak outfitter for options. 

It's new, and we have no shortage of gloomy prophets in the area, but we are forging ahead. 

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about cycling!

If anyone is already doing this and has a few tips, I would love to hear them.

Yes.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Cycling is popular and big business in the UK. This is a result of British cycling's efforts with the track team and Team Sky and also organisations like Sustrans who have built and/or co-ordinated the national cycle network.

I have never cycled in Holland however I hear that it is different to the UK. In the UK often people will wear replica cycle jerseys so emulating their heroes (like having a kick around wearing a Man U top). I prefer to wear jerseys which reflect the crazy weekend that the Tour de France swept through our village in Yorkshire before we moved.

My understanding is that in Holland people cycle in their own clothes as a means to get elsewhere and do other things. This is great, it makes physical exercise part of each day and reduces pollution.

There are always issues with the weather,hills and other road users who feel invincible in their full metal jacket with 4 wheels. 

Delphine16
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi @Quincy

In Manchester, cycling isn't big enough. I cycle everywhere, I cycle everyday to go to work, I cycle to the shops, I cycle over the weekend, I cycle to my in-laws... well you understood it, cycling is my way of moving around Manchester. It keeps me fit, it is cheap to run, it protects me from illnesses... mire people should cycle. No excuses!

Happy cycling,

Delph