Lockdown lunches‌‌

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lockdown lunches‌‌

587178596_CrowsNest_6378814_4200-Edit.jpg

It is no coincidence that food is king on social media. Seeing as most of us eat three meals a day it is effortless to create a post - just snap a photo of your meal - but more importantly, it is relevant to everyone. Food is part of the human story, not just a means to survive. 

Food connects us with one another, no matter where we are in the world. We share it with friends, lovers, and family transcending backgrounds, cultures and traditions. 

As we’re working from home, we recently made a habit in the team of sharing lunch photos every day to feel connected. 

With this in mind, I'd love to know what you are having for lunch?

Of course, due to time differences and dietary preferences, you can share breakfasts, dinners or even snacks. Anything goes! 

I'll do the honours in the comments below, as I'm about to have my lunch break. Let's keep this rolling and indulge one another with local delicacies or whatever it is you are craving, taking us on a tasty journey around the world. 

Bon appétit! 

Nick

44 Replies 44
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Yum @Quincy , Yes I have, but what's with the kale???
We grew up using fresh cabbage out of our garden.....I think sometimes Silverbeet , which I don't like was mixed in it to..and was told I had to eat it or no dessert..

Good to see you are eating Healthy Options!!
Would you be able to please freight some over for us please?
Current departure times for shipping from Ports of Tauranga is around 3 weeks...I'm sure those working in shipping industry would love some to;)

What flavour sausages do you prefer with Boerenkool?
Do you know who invented Boerenkool and when?

Yes @Cathie19 a recipe shared is always treasured... careful though as you all might be making these up in your Zoom gatherings:)

Best

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427, Kale is very nutritious and easy to grow! Not sure if the Kale would hold out that long in a container 😂

The sausage that we normally use is a smoked sausage which we call 'Rookworst'. There are some mixed stories as to where Boerenkool came from, but it's eaten in Germany as well. 

Are there any typical NZ dishes? 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Quincy

Does your new property have a garden area?
Or access to have a Hanging Wall garden?

Sadly my lettuces & spinach karked (as in wilted..) it after starting off so well inside.

We have had some strawberries before the ants, snails & birds ate them this year.

We don't really have any typical New Zealand dishes, however I personally am partial to "Fast Food", as in, fresh fruit & vegetables along with a piece of juicy red meat, and have been known for my love of a nice hot Steak Pie!!

Fast Food is great as it requires minimal preparation and less dishes to wash..

I learnt when I had a hand injury that Fast Food is best and sometimes it's not necessary to peel vegetables...

When it comes to desserts New Zealander's quite like Ice-cream and Pavlova filled with fresh fruit..

We have Rookworst sausages sometimes at our supermarkets and delicatessens.

Have you ever tried to make your own Sausages @Quincy @Nick @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Cathie19 @Teri and @everybody-else?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427, there's no garden (sadly), but I have a wee rooftop terrace. I still have to decorate it though! 

It's so nice to grown your own stuff! I want to try growing some veggies this year as well. Hopefully, the insects won't beat me at before I harvest them 😃

I love Steak Pies! 😍

Just out of curiosity, which fast food chain do you usually visit? I like to grab something from McDonald's from time to time (don't judge me😂). 

Also, I've never tried making my own smoked sausage. I feel like it would take too much time to prepare haha! 

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

That's nice and better than no rooftop terrace @Quincy 

The 'Fast Food' outlet I usually go to is Helen's Pantry/ kitchen fridge and / or fruit bowl !!

That joke about "Fast Food"  started with a French visitor to New Zealand who I used to meet up with & who commented on the fact I eat lots of Fruit & Vegetables... @Dale711 

I quite like a Golden Arches burger from time to time though, or one of the Local "Junk food " outlets burgers depending on where we are.

Sausges are quite easy to make with the right equipment, a Mouille ? and ingredients to mince them up.

Try it you may find it quite easy @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Nick 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Is it really "from time to time" though @Quincy . Is it? 

hahaha (don't block me, please) 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

For some reason it's not letting me edit the captions.  I missed the asparagus on that first pasta dish.  All of these were cooked by me and are a very typical sample of my meals over the last few weeks.  I love cooking and spend a few hours a day, every day, planning and executing my meals.  One of my sons is a chef.  I can't imagine where he got it from ...

Farfalle, chevre, spinach, tomato, pecorino, olivesFarfalle, chevre, spinach, tomato, pecorino, olivesRice noodle, tofu puffs, lime, beansprout, cucumber, red chilli, cucumber, mint, thai basilRice noodle, tofu puffs, lime, beansprout, cucumber, red chilli, cucumber, mint, thai basiljK2ePak2SE6t5iWtQgGVnw.jpgPizza - rocket, bocconcini, prosciutto, olive, chili, anchovyPizza - rocket, bocconcini, prosciutto, olive, chili, anchovyFarfalle, tomato, rocket, feta, olives, anchovyFarfalle, tomato, rocket, feta, olives, anchovyChicken, sweet potato/feta/spinach/almond, roast potato, carrotChicken, sweet potato/feta/spinach/almond, roast potato, carrot

Louise0
Level 10

And here's breakfast.  I don't like a sickly sweet breakfast  and don't eat eggs, so I have to be fairly creative with breakfast

Mozzarella, spinach, ham, basil toastieMozzarella, spinach, ham, basil toastieDutch baby,  berries, greek yoghurtDutch baby, berries, greek yoghurtBLT + avocadoBLT + avocadoGreek yoghurt, dragon fruit, raspberry, pomegranate, almond, granolaGreek yoghurt, dragon fruit, raspberry, pomegranate, almond, granolaTofu puff laksaTofu puff laksaPanko crumbed whiting, potato, creme fraichePanko crumbed whiting, potato, creme fraiche

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Louise0Those images are making me rather hungry.

You are an asset to the CC and community in general.

I love your listing and write up

@Ann72  Have you checked out @Louise0 place in Australia?

You must have been thinking of someone else, @Helen427.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your food looks so delicious @Louise0

I had this NiuNan beef noodle soup yesterday 😍

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.36.36.png

-----

Louise0
Level 10

I'm sure it tasted fab, though not sure about the egg - my nemesis, and a 'non-food' to me.  What do you do with all that plastic?  Wash and reuse or is it consigned to landfill to live on for all eternity?

Here's what I just finished scoffing down - oat porridge with chia and blackberries.  I was headed for a 5 star healthy start to my day until I added a great wad of muscovado sugar.  But who cares, life's far too short to be miserable - particularly at the moment.

IMG_8009.jpg

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Louise0, the plastic does not go to the landfill! We pop it in the dishwasher and re-use them for home-made jam and custard pudding 😃. We always tend to cook quite a lot of food, so these plastic bowls are quite useful to store food in portions. 

That oat porridge look very yummy 😊

-----

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I don't know why I just saw these @Louise0 but what I do know is that i need an early lunch break, and I need it now! 

While people were eating non-stop during the lock down, I finally had a chance to review my diet plan, and start eating healthily