Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Meetup] August 12th: Community social

Community Social.jpg

Hello everyone,

I hope your week is going well.

It feels like yesterday since our last meetup, but I'm pretty sure I say that every time. It was lovely to see a new face at the last one, @Debra300 I hope you enjoyed it. 🙂

Our next meetup will be on a APAC friendly timezone and will take place on Wednesday August 12th, 12PM (UK time).

*Timezone (I hope I get this right)

Wednesday August 12th, 6AM (Kansas City / Pensacola, Florida)

Wednesday August 12th, 7AM (New York / Toronto)

Wednesday August 12th, 1PM  (Spain)

Wednesday August 12th, 8PM (Seoul)

Wednesday August 12th, 8:30PM (Darwin)

Wednesday August 12th, 9PM (Melbourne) 

If you would like to join, please register before the start time using this specific link (this link changes each week so if you have registered before, you will need to do it again - sorry): https://airbnb.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcrdu-gpz8uHtZ5otPauX2HrZv1h9qeP7p6 

Not sure how to use Zoom? Check out this CC guide

New to CC socials: For anyone new to the socials, it's a weekly online meetup where CC members come together to connect with each other and have a bit of positivity along the way. It's not specifically Airbnb focused and anyone new is very welcome.  

If there is a particular subject matter you would like to discuss, feel free to share it below and we can quiz up beforehand! 🙂 

I hope you can make it. Looking forward to seeing you. 

Lizzie

@Cathie19@Lawrene0@Clara116@Christine615@Jessica-and-Henry0@Ann72@Kimberly29@Roberta2, @Quincy, @Gordon0, @Sandra126@Helen3,  @Marissa107@Suzanne302@Ann489@Yadira22@Alexandra316@Nick@Debra300 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

47 Replies 47

@Yuan100, Sweet dreams from Darwin! 😴zzzzzz

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing, thanks for the pic @Jessica-and-Henry0!

So great to see and hear from you all, and @Cathie19 I think that's the perfect summary - great to have such a variety of voices from different places in our global community 😄 

p.s. I'm really enjoying our thinking faces 🤔🤔🤔😂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Katie 

Hey, sorry I did not recognise you in the Zoom, my absence from the CC over the past couple of months has meant I am not up to speed with a lot of changes that are happening.....please forgive me!

I do have the greatest of respect for you guys......we can be a cantankerous bunch at times but, in the years that I have been involved here, you have all done a wonderful job!

We are privileged to have you moderators!

Talk again soon......

Cheers......Rob  

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

No worries @Robin4, it was great to see and hear from you 😊

Aw you guys are great, and as Community Managers and as people who participate in this fine community we all have a lot of respect for you too: right back atcha! 

p.s. I've been admiring the brickwork photos - very cool!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great seeing the old gang (no pun intended 😀) after such a long time and finally meeting @Robin4 @Yuan100 and also @Alexandra316 with whom we've been chatting throughout the whole lockdown (I can't even count in months or even days for that matter, it all feels like a giant week) 

Not sure if you could tell but as I'm in Athens at the moment I was melting like an ice-cream throughout the whole zoom call - it's the time of the day the sun oversees the living room and even the air-con was struggling (40 degrees today which translates to 104 for our American friends) - speaking of whom I have to confess I was keeping notes from @Christine615 and @Ann72 's suggestions. 

Now if only I had one cold beer from @Jessica-and-Henry0 's side-brewery business I'd be a happy man 🙂 

PS Gave a call to my grandparents just to check of them after @Clara116 and @Cathie19 's stories as my neighbours here are on holiday at the moment. All good from that end! 

@Nick it was a good meet up for sure.....and so glad you did call your grandparents and that all is well.... so important.

I believe the other person was @Yuan100 that shared her story about her neighbor falling and her guest helping that neighbor out and she as well. So proud of all our good people from all over. 

Glad you were part of the group today Nick.

peace and till soon, Clara

@Nick and everyone...... like I said during the call...... once international travel restrictions are lifted..... if anyone is planning to visit Seoul there is an open invitation for food & drinks with me and Henry! One of the best parts of hosting for us (especially Henry) was getting to know our guests and introducing them to different types of Korean dishes while sharing a drink (or two). 

As a bonus~~~ here are a few photos...... mostly of the home brew kits that come and the *mini-fridge* that does the magic~ 

externalFile (1).jpg        externalFile (2).jpg     externalFile (3).jpg      externalFile (4).jpg      externalFile (5).jpg      externalFile (6).jpg      externalFile (7).jpg      externalFile (8).jpg      externalFile.jpg     externalFile (10).jpg    

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

And Henry even has his own branding for the bottles @Jessica-and-Henry0 ! I know what I'm getting the boyfriend for his birthday... 🍺

@Katie 

If you are beer drinkers and like craft beer, then with the kits (Henry says) making your own at home isn't that hard and lots of fun....... but I just help with the drinking part 😁 😁 😁  

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely @Cathie19 but was also referring to your very on point comment about mental health - I'm telling you this heat will be the end of me 😥

Marissa107
Level 6
Marbella, Spain

@Lizzie , I missed this!!!! 😞 I seldom open my CC account. How come I don't get email notifications from you anymore just I used to?? I hope you had a good catch up.

Till next time.

Besos,

Marissa107 in Estepona, Malaga Spain❤️
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I literally see this before I even have my morning coffee. Paradise 🙂 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

PS I love Korean food. I'll probably have some Korean BBQ for dinner, imagining this trip 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick 

Nick, my experience with Greece and it's people has been wonderful.

Can I tell you a story from my working life as the owner of a mechanical services company!

In my working life I was asked to do some work for an elderly Greek couple!

Louie and Katrina came to Australia in the late 1950s with their two infant sons, they were after a new start in life in a new country. They moved into a migrant hostel and each got janitors jobs to put some money together. When they saved enough they bought a block of land, cleaned it up and put it back on the market. With the profit they made they did the same thing again, and again…..and again! Before they knew where they were Louie and Katrina were millionaires a couple of times over, and they bought a nice house in an up-market suburb.

At this point I got involved with Louie & Katrina, I installed their whole house air-conditioning system and twice a year Louie would give me a call and ask me to service the air-conditioning, and every time, I could not leave until I had been treated to that wonderful Greek hospitality.

Louie and Katrina’s boys grew up and fancied themselves as businessmen. They bought a large fitness centre, and in order to get a mortgage on the property, Louie and Katrina were required to go guarantor for the mortgage.

Before proper liability insurances were put in place a fitness patron injured themselves badly on a piece of gym equipment and the subsequent legal proceeding required the calling up of Louie and Katrina’s guarantee and…..they had to sell their house.

Louie phoned me, he made no mention of the situation but asked me to come down and service the air-conditioning. I had heard from other family friends that Louie and Katrina were being forced by the finance industry out of their house. I serviced the air conditioning and asked if everything else was ok and Louie mentioned that the hot water service was leaking so, I fixed that and when I was done Louie put his hand in his back pocket and said….”How much do I owe you Rob”? I waved my arms at him and I said, “Louie, you don’t owe me a thing”!

He put his arms around me and he started to cry, but he wasn’t go to let me get off that lightly! He disappeared around the corner and returned with a case of tomatoes for me!

Louie and Katrina were two of the loveliest people I have ever know, I am proud to have called them my friends. Six weeks after they had to move out of their lovely house Louie suffered a stroke and he died. A month later Katrina made her way over that rainbow bridge to join Louie. Everyone that knew her said, she died of a broken heart!

Life after marriage to Louie was just too brutal to contemplate for Katrina!

I have a lovely association with the people of Greece Nick!

Cheers……..Rob

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for taking the time to share their amazing story @Robin4 - They ending broke my heart but in a weird, very - greek - dramatic way seemed fitting as well. 

I  just hope I'll live up to the standards you have for Greeks - Shame we are so far apart. I'd love to treat you in some Greek hospitality after reading this 🙂 

@Robin4 what a beautiful awful story............thanks for sharing it Rob. Just imagine being those precious people and all they lived and loved. What an inspiring story on many levels. 

It is so wonderful to have our memories.......I trust we will all hold on to all of them and keep accessing them whenever we like forever. Peace friend

blessing to you and your Ade, Clara