Must-See Movies?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Must-See Movies?

Must-See Movies

Hello Everyone,

This time of year signals the glitz and glamour of the award ceremonies. The Oscars took place over the weekend and the BAFTAs a few weeks ago. I came across this Airbnb video 'Live in the movies' which I thought would be nice to share with you, in case you haven't seen it. 🙂

With this in mind, I went to see La La Land the other day, I know this is a very popular movie at the moment and has won many awards, I have to say I am usually a little sceptical of musicals, but this did put me in a very positive mood and the songs are still whirling around in my head!hehe

I also, stayed in a lovely Airbnb listing in December and I have to say it had the most amazing collection of movies to watch, I literally could have spent the whole weekend in front of the TV! (Just to be clear, I didn't do this) 🙂

I am sure there are many movie fans here in the Community Center, so I thought I would start this thread to share our favourites or even what movies we have watched (or film as we say here in the UK) recently? Also, do you have any recommendations for an ideal DVD collection in a listing? 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

17 Replies 17
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie....Please don't say....'Oh no, not you again', but what you have raised here through your personal experience is really valid!

I have a collection of 1739 movies across all genres which are on USB and which I freely provide to any guest who stays....if they are prepared to peruse they way through the inventory!

These movies are right from the orginal Georgés Maelles 'Trip to the moon' in hand painted colour from 1903 right up to the present..... I have Moby **bleep**, Twenty Thousands leagues under the sea, Citzen Kane, To Kill a Mockinbird, Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Guns of Navarone, North by Northwest, Phsyco, A Clockwork Orange, Play Misty for me, Rear Window, Gone With the Wind, The Enemy Below, 2001 a Space Odessey, Apollo 13, Revolutionary Road, Red Dog,  Blue is the Warmest Colour, The African Queen, Paperback Hero, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Sleepless in Seattle, Brassed Off, Same Time next Year, Shawshank Redemption, Forest Gump, plus the full James Bond series right up to current.....The Bucket List, my all time favourite, after Donald Sutherland in 'The Eye of the Needle'...Oh God, movies don't get any better than that one! 

Any movie ever produced of any note at all I have got stored! A guest could spend half their life here doing nothing but watching movies because I am a great movie watcher and I have set the cottage up with a good LED TV....although the TV is an Ulta HD none of the movies are in quite that quality but most are really good and the sound comes through a great external 6 speaker sound system so, the experience is good!

I wish there was some way I could send you my library Lizzie...you would be absolutely amazed at the titles I have accumulated from really promonent to totally obscure. But they all have one thing in common, they are outstanding movies!

I know, I seem like a bit of a 'know all' in many instances here on the forum but you have hit on a topic here Lizzie that I could gladly curl up in a comfy chair and watch with you until the sun sets on life as we know it!!

I was going to try and send you a screenshot of the movie title but they are just too small and I abandond it!!

Cheers.....Rob 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is amazing @Robin4, I am so glad you joined this topic! 🙂

This is an epic list of films, where do I start! There are a few which I haven't seen, but have been meaning to get around to watching...like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...

Aw I think the Georgés Maelles films are wonderful. I have to say I first came across these in the film 'Hugo', have you seen this? I love how he brought so much magic into his films and the colours are amazing. Are they easy to find to watch? 

It is also great to see you have all the Bond films, I think I have all of the Sean Connery collection and a few of the newer ones...are you looking forward to the next one? I'm not sure if Daniel Craig will do another...

I also watch the new Bourne film at the weekend, I think it was called 'Jason Bourne', it's full of action and I recognised some of the scenes which were filmed nearby in London, which is always fun! Are you a fan of this series?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie ...When you have over 1700 titles were do you start, and yes, 'Hugo' is one of them. Once again another great film by Scorsese, which incidentally Lizzie, Johnny Depp had a hand in producing. Those few I listed do not even make a start on covering the films I have collected, many of which I have seen 8, maybe 9 times.

There were a couple in that list that I think you would not have seen...'Paperback Hero' is a not brilliant budget Australian film but is notable because it was Hugh Jackman's first adventure into feature film. He plays the part of a young 'knockabout' Aussie outback truck driver who has a secret life writing womens romance novels, and is definitely worth seeing to get an insight into where this wonderful performer has come from!

'Blue is the warmest Colour' I put in there because of the stunning potrayal by a young French actress Léa Seydoux of her role in coming to grips with her sexuality the way her mind was torn in different directions by those around her.

Although I did not think much of 'Avatar' as a film, it is in my list because of the amazing cinematic quality of it. It is so sharp and clear you really feel part of it.

I loved some of the 'doco' or biographical efforts like ....'Searching for Sugar Man'!

I absolutely loved standing in the exact spot where Meg Ryan found a teddy bear and lost her heart in Sleepless in Seattle'.

@Lizzie, this is a wonderful thread but with the millenia of material available you can't even begin to scratch the surface. Every year sees its fair share of trashy rubbish, some of it with big names, and some years only one or two films will make it into my collection, but I will say reasonably confidently, (to my mind) any film over the last 115 years that was worth seeing....I have got!

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is really interesting @Robin4. 🙂

I completely agree with your thoughts on Avatar, I am so glad I saw it at the cinema in 3D, I think it was the first 3D film I had seen (for a major film title) and the colours and magic were just incredible...perhaps this is a little why I haven't watched it more than a couple of time on my basic TV screen at home because it is hard to recreate this effect in your living room.

'Paperback Hero' sounds like a good film. Oo do you remember when this film first came out? I see his new film 'Logan' is coming out shortly, I quite like the look of the trailer which has a great Johnny Cash song over the top of it. 

Did you watch the Oscars?

--------------------

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

Jesus......don't talk about the Oscars!!! last year in the Miss World pageant the same thing happened! When will Americans understand that 'less is more'! They do not have to go overboard on the theatricals!!

About the best I can do is give you this link to the review.....

http://www.sbs.com.au/movies/review/paperback-hero-review

Re Avatar, I do have 3D capability and you are right, it sure as hell gets you right into the action. And on that topic many movies are now in 3D.

Hey, don't get me started on this...there ain't no end!!!

Cheers....Rob

****[Personal content removed]

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie I have a Meals on Wheels client....[personal information removed]! He is a lovely old guy about 87 years of age. His claim to fame is, he once had the priviledge of shaking hands with Johnny Cash! That gesture will carry him proudly to his grave!

Also full of Johnny Cash memorabilia and his favourite is that large framed photo of he and Johnny Cash exchanging a handshake.

Personally, his load is a terrible one but...... I don't think that is a bad thing to take to the grave!

Cheers.....Rob

***[Personal content removed]

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

Unfortunately I am still having problems with the messaging system! The second part of my message on this film thread would no go through to you. Each time I tried to send it I once again met the 'Oops cant send your message now' response, so I have to give up on that I am afraid....And I won't go into details of that response....they are lost to the ether!!

One bit of it which I wanted you to think about though.....What was the first film released in Colour and in Cinemascope! It was a foundational film, for me! I was aged ten when it was released here and it more than anything else started my life long love of film!

Cheers.....Rob

Sue890
Level 1
Massachusetts, United States

thank you

Tetiana12
Level 2
Stryi, Ukraine

Just watched The Great Gatsby (2013)

With the 1974 movie version of the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel in
mind I was a little skeptical how this would measure up. It started
a little whimsical, almost like a musical with a touch of parody but
the essence of the story gradually took hold and this was a beautiful
production.
Carey Mulligan was perfect for the role of Daisy, Leonardo DiCaprio
was a believable Gatsby, and Toby McGuire was a good choice for
Nick.
Viewed on https://torrentsites.com/movies-torrent-sites/ . Absolutely recommend!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4  Hi Mate - how are you and the boss Ade doing? Hope really well and staying safe, feeling family love with your bunches also.

Got a question about the movie thing - Do you have know the movie "Harold and Maude"? Its such an odd movie, but a fav for me and I met Ruth/Maude - when younger I watched it in the theater about 11 times. I'd love to see it again. Her life style, her life mottos, living conditions, esp. oat straw tea and her little train/caboose was a dream living condition for much of my life.

What say you Rob? I'd love to see how and what I think NOW about this dark comedy and all its crazy stuff. Later

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 Crazy, I found Harold and Maude and am watching it right now.....wow....wow....I forgot how much I LOVE Cat Stevens music........and its free - amazing technology.    more later - 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Clara116 As an aside, I remember being very excited listening to Tea for the Tillerman after school at a friend’s house. It was on her powder blue portable record player! 
That record, has just celebrated it's 50 YEARS! 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Cathie19 isn't that amazing! Wow hadn't counted the years.....we had the best finest music of our lifetimes, I believe. The musicians were like from no other time period. I love that about our age for sure....powder blue, yes and designs and styles are classic. 

My best movies ever are:

- Green mile

- Forest Gump

- Captain Fantastic

- Django unchained

- Snatch

- Troya.

I also love the cartoons a lot, my faves here are - Up, Wall-e, Toy Story (all parts), Shrek)