Name That Bird

Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

Name That Bird

Let's start a thread to assist with bird identification. I'm not an expert, but an enthusiasist who is becoming more and more passionate about birds. My 9 year old daughter and I are learning about birds together every day. We often need help identifying new birds we encounter.

I'll start off with a bird who has been visiting my feeder lately. We live on the coast in Northen California, USA. One of our feeders is full of niger thistle and is frequented by dozens of Chestnut back chicadees. Recently we have also noticed some new arrivals. Today we identified a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. First saw a pair yesterday. Unbelievably adorable. They did not have the ruby crown though. I wonder if that's seasonal? Or maybe they were both females. See photo below, that is a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, right @Kitty-and-Creek0?

RubyKinglet.png

Another small group of birds has been visiting my thistle feeder for about a week now. I'm still not quite sure what they are. I finally managed to get some photos. They are small, quite shy and quickly fly off at the slightest movement. Does anybody know what they are? 

WhoAmI.jpg

6 Replies 6
Florian-and-Theresa0
Level 10
Mintraching, Germany

Very cute! Maybe some sort of warbler?

@Deb0

I like the thread - thanks!

I would agree that you have kinglets. They flick their wings a lot, and the male's ruby crown is often concealed.

We have chestnut backed chickadees here too, and red breasted nuthatches.

I'm not seeing enough field marks on the other birds, for my limited skills, and a small photo without a lot of contrast due to the light. What color is the back? I see a forked tail, a wing bar. What about eye color, head marks? As small seedeaters, and your location on the coast I'd venture a first guess at one of the many sparrows. Do let me know what you see that helps you identify these guys!

Kitty

Recently I stayed at a wonderful Airbnb in Waimea, Hawaii. They had a permaculture style garden rather than a lawn. We loved the fresh papayas for our morning smoothies. One day we encountered this fella also enjoying a breakfast papaya. #NameThatBird

Clue: Haemorhous mexicanus

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 11.16.29 PM.png 

House Finch with good taste in breakfast foods!

@Kitty-and-Creek0 I still have not figured out what the birds photographed above at my feeder on the Mendocino Coast. They only came through for a couple of weeks and then moved on. They had a more slender shape and elegant coloring than most sparrows.

Now my feeder is inundated with Pine Siskin! So many....

How wonderful that the siskins are staying with you right now, beauties!