Places you want to go back to...

Places you want to go back to...

If you could go back to one place...

Where?

Why?

Where would you eat again?

Time of year?

What was your favorite part about that trip that makes it special now?

9 Replies 9
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

Mauritius island!

Because it is the pearl of the indian ocean!!

"Souvenir Restaurant" in Trou aux biches.

Anytime!!!

This is my homeland!!!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oo I like this topic @Teresa-and-Ray0. 🙂 

I like the sound of your trip @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

OK, I would say I would go back to New Zealand. I visited South Island, around Queenstown a few years ago now, but it was a little bit of a flying visit, so I think I have much more to explore.

I would go back because it is such a beautiful country. The mountain back drop, the views are just amazing. I went kayaking in Doubtful Sounds which involved a early morning boat trip to the end of a lake, followed by a remote coach journey before arriving at what felt like the end of the world. There were very few people there, just myself and five other kayaker! Kayaking in a fiord was wonderful and as we camped on a little island overnight, the change the weather made to the colour of the water and mountains was just incredible!!

I can't think what I ate which is an oddity for me...! 🙂

I went in March, so it was a similar temperature to the UK at that point as it is their Autumn/Fall. I would like to go when it is a little sunnier (maybe that is me pineing for some sunshine as I look out at our British rainy August)!

One of the most memorable places was a hike up to view a glacier. What was nice is along the trail you follow a river, which has the lovely blue NZ water in it, fresh from the glacier. A recommended must if visiting the area. 

What about you @Teresa-and-Ray0, where would visit again? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

My favorite, all time, was probably Koh Chang Thailand. Being on a small island, driving a moped all over, having to stop for a baboon crossing the road and seeing elephants grazing beside the road? Amazing!

Food? Tokyo Japan - a little hole in the wall ramen place. So good!!

I would love to visit New Zealand, a bucket list thing. It's beautiful. Kayaking sounds like a blast!

T

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oo I would love to visit Thailand and also Japan @Teresa-and-Ray0. That corner of the world is a huge area I would love to explore more. 

How long did you spend in Tokyo? Among a huge list of things I would like to see when I visit, would be to go on a bullet train. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie NZ sounds good too but if you want a warmer climate come to Mauritius and trust me you won't regret it : )

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

haha, very true @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0. We certainly aren't getting much sun here in the UK at the moment. I was cycling home last night and I went through a huge puddle that I thought was quite shallow, I quickly found out that it was rather deeper than I thought as my trainers started filling with water...I could have easily booked a ticket to sunny Mauritus at that moment! hehe 🙂

Have you traveled much Oomesh? Where was your last overseas travel experience to?

--------------------

@Lizzie Sorry to hear about that incident with the huge puddle that definitely make you want to change countries. I have travel two a few european countries but my favorite and last experience was in Sevastopol Crimea Russian Federation. With 11 time zones in Russia the biggest country in the world it makes your journey very exciting as you discover thousands of cultures and beautiful regions. You definitely need to visit Sevastopol which was, is and always will be a base of the Russian navy in the black sea,trust me you wont regret it. 

Shashank4
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for creating this forum.

I am an Airbnb host in Puttaparthi town of Andhra Pradesh state in India and have been on Airbnb since 2015. 

i have been getting a lot of feedback that this place is somewhere all wish to come back to.

In case you happen to plan a trip to India, this place is a must see to experience Spirituality & learn about the sacred Guru Sri Sathya Sai baba.

More about Puttaparthi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttaparthi

More about the shrine at Prashanti Nilayam & how to reach here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttaparthi

More info about Sri Sathya Sai baba (Swami): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba

Link to my Airbnb Home:: https://www.airbnb.co.in/rooms/23439460?s=51 

Kindly feel free to connect with me for any queries.

Thanks.

Shashank

Maria2461
Level 2
Tibro, Sweden

If you could go back to one place...

Where? I love to travel and have been to so many awesome places, but if I have to pick one I'd pick: 

Without a doubt the Hill of crosses in Lithuania. I've travelled a lot and have been to many "holy" sites across different religions, still that place I've promised myself to go back to because it made me feel... in a way words can't describe. Maybe it is the knowledge of how many prayers that have been said in that place. Maybe it is the mix of big crosses and small rosarys blowing in the wind. Whatever it is... I've promised myself to go back there one day. If you've never been to Lithuania, give it a go. 

Where would you eat again?

At restaurant Oliven, Borås, Sweden. The ONLY restaurant where I've literary loved everything on the menu. I don't like squid. I LOVE their squid. I don't like cheese. I LOVE their cheese! I even tried to order a dish similar to their melon fresh cheese with Serrano ham for our wedding. Do I need to say that I love this restaurant? Sadly it is like a treat we don't give ourselves enough, even though the restaurant is "only" 1 hour and 40 minutes drive from where we live. 😕 But maybe my waistline should be glad it isn't closer. 

Time of year?

Best time of year is always early summer, when you can go for a swim in a beautiful lake in the middle of the forest without the fear of jelly fish, sea weed or getting salt water in your eyes. 

What was your favorite part about a trip that makes it special now?

Going to finally see Petra, Jordan was really nice because I had to nag to my husband about it for over 3-4 years or so before we finally went. Luckily he loved it so even before we went back home again he wanted to return! Good, cheap food, nice scenery, lovely weather, what is there not to like? It was like Turkey during the 90's.