Plant Addicts

Alex856
Level 2
Saint Louis, MO

Plant Addicts

Hi guys anyone else here a plant hoarder, specifically cacti and succulents ?

15 Replies 15
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Alex856,

Nice to meet you!

I do have a couple of plants in my home including a small cactus. I'm not really the collector, but I do enjoy having some green in my home :-). 

What about you? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy0I am estimating because i get new plants all the time 50-60 cacti and succulents. I think maybe i went overboard 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

60!!! 

That sure is a lot @Alex856!

-----

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Alex856: Living in SW Florida we grow almost anything we can get a hold of to propagate. Succlents and Frangipani have been the latest obsession. 

The succulents I cant keep outside zone 6b. I make up for indoors in pots. I bet its nice having tropicals you can keep outdoors year round.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

You could call me a Plantaholic.  Ferns and ivy are my favorites.  Here in San Antonio, we usually have  mild winters.  When we do have freezing weather, all the potted and hanging plants are moved to the garage for protection from the cold and (sometimes) ice.  Our Airbnb house has plants in every room and lots more on the large patio.  The numerous oak trees on the property help protect my leaf babies from the Texas sun.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds great @Linda-And-Richard0!

Does it take a lot of time to take care of all your plants? 

-----

Yes, watering takes a couple of hours.  We sometimes water numerous times each week, especially with 100+ temps during summer in South Texas.  Our home and the  Airbnb house each sit on nearly an acre of land.   Luckly, the back yards are shaded by large Live Oak trees.  The interior of each house also has a good number of plants.   Most of the ivy plants are from cuttings I place in decorative pottery pieces until they develope a good root system.  Then they are moved to larger pots and the whole process starts again.   One of my favorite plants is called a Hoya.  It has leathery leaves and does very well in hanging baskets.  The blooms are pale pink, waxy and arrive in little tennis ball size clusters.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You've got your hands full with that @Linda-And-Richard0!

I am currently growing vegetables (Cucumbers and Carrots). It's all going the right way, but I do feel little with my 2 plants considering how many plants you have to take care of :-). I was talking with one of my colleagues about having a big garden where I can grow my own vegetables in large quantities, but I guess having a big garden in Central London is rather difficult! 

Do you also grow vegetables? 

(I will try to post some pictures later) 

-----

Oh yes, we have a vegetable garden at the Airbnb house.  The plot is about 20 x 40 feet.  There are squash, eggplant, cucumbers,  potatoes, green beans, okra, onion, radishes, jalapeno peppers and several variety of tomato.  We have 4 pecan trees at the property so this fall I will again be baking pecan pies for our guests.  

Funny story, my husband was concerned the cucumbers had blossoms but nothing to harvest.  Our daughter picked up a cucumber at the grocery store and left by one of the plants.   At first he was excited but then pretended to be mad when he figured out what had happened.

Don't know if it counts or not, but I do have a couple of succulents. Like them alot. I'm a bit disorganised when it comes to watering, yet succulents are doing great 🙂

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Regina253,

I'm still growing cucumbers and carrots, although the cucumber plant doesn't seem to be growing well :-(. I'm thinking of moving it to a more spacious flowerpot. 

Feel free to share any photo's!

-----

Hello, @Quincy!

Your cucumber plant definitely needs more space to grow properly. Are you keeping it on a balcony?
Unfortunately I don't have any photos at the moment, but I'll try to add them later 🙂

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Regina253

The plant is in my kitchen at the moment. There's enough sunshine there but it's just in a small flowerpot. 

-----