RIP to a beloved pet

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

RIP to a beloved pet

Thank you @Debra300 and @Sarah977 for your kind words.  Our fierce little Papillon, Ben Ben, was 16 years old and weighed less than 5 pounds when he died peacefully in his sleep this evening.  He was with me and my oldest daughter, his favorite person in the world, at our Airbnb in Maine, his favorite place.  

Because he lived here, I've always let people bring their dogs.  Although I tell guests about the wild animals in the woods - bears, coyotes, fishers, moose, bobcats - so they'll be mindful of letting their pets run off, I don't tell them that Ben Ben always ran fearlessly into the dark night to chase off any being he felt came too close to the house.  My heart would be in my throat, but he always came back with an air of satisfaction at having conquered another foe. 

Here's a recent picture of him curled up asleep in Maine - I hope you'll post pictures of yours.

Ben Ben 2004-2020Ben Ben 2004-2020

54 Replies 54
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ann72  Oh Ann my heart broke for you in reading about precious Ben Ben. 

I have been in the midst of post hurricane recovery, clean up, no internet, so very disconnected from

everything else.....this morning is my first time back on CC and trying to catch up a little and I see your post. 

Isn't it so special what those little fellows can teach us, the love they can show and the trust they put in us to care for them.....but they somehow have something to do with caring  for or helping to nourish part of our hearts, souls and minds. Ben Ben surely picked you.....didn't he? That pic is precious - I would just imagine Ben Ben had a fabulous life with you - wow, 5 walks a day. My boys (seems I've always have had boy dogs/ all rescue guys - that seemed to pick me. My little guys live and breathe for their walk each morning. I have 2 at a time - as I adore them being brothers and playing and not being alone when I was working and gone from the house. Now life is all different, seems they are soothers, comforters and truly have ways to communicate that shocks me. Like I ask them about going out - they clearly shake their collar which jingles for a clear YES. 

I love how honest dogs can be - they do let you know about things, esp. ppl they don't seem to like or even tolerate. I love how you will sprinkle Ben Bens ashes - I will be thinking of you Ann as I know grief has such a strange way of just creeping up sometimes, and I will be praying for you to be reminded often, esp. in those moments of sadness - that you recall the sweetest times when Ben Ben made your heart smile the biggest. He was one very lucky dog to have picked you - cause I am sure you gave him the best life any little fellow could dream to have. I'm sending hugs dear Ann....peace

I'll add a pic of my Eddie - he gave me "that look" and you know how wonderful when they pick YOUeddiejr.JPG

@Clara116  Dear Clara!  This meant so much to me, especially because I know you've been under enormous stress.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to write this - the comfort it has provided is huge.

EDDIE!  I know "that look."  We've got things to do, places to go, people to see - together.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ann72  here's my Bentley and Eddie in the garden......Eddie now has a lame back leg so he hops and when he has given his best - stops and looks up and waits for me to lift him up -  I have a fabulous stroller that he proudly sits up in and scans the neighborhood from his favorite perspective  --- UP.  Bentley pulled it for a few seconds without me and Eddie was cool.Bentley pulled it for a few seconds without me and Eddie was cool.in our gardenin our gardenall cleaned upall cleaned up

@Clara116  They are beautiful.  💓

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ann72  This is the most touching topic on the forum. Dear, I have no suitable words, I do not want to say trivial things. But because of your sad topic, there are so many amazing personal stories...😘

@Anna9170 darling, what a wonderful note.  Thank you.  I loved everyone's stories too. 😍

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ann72 I can not imagine how you feel and I mean it in a literal sense. I have had no pets and no siblings (I have a half brother but we were not allowed to talk to each other until we grew up and connected as adults in secret from his mom). I often look at my kids and wonder of what they might feel towards each other. I hear pet owners trying to explain the love they have and it does not really resonate. I think for the first time I read the words that made feel it. In my next life I want to be someone's pet so love for me is the only feeling left when I pass

I thought you were planning to get a dog, I guess that hasn't happened? It really is quite special the unconditional love that a dog can provide. My dog is always so thrilled to see me, it doesn't matter if I've just run to the corner store for 5 minutes or I've been gone all day, she has no sense of time, so she runs around in circles all excited each and every time. They never have their face glued to their cell phone, not even acknowledging you when you walk in the door. @Inna22

@Sarah977 yes, we were hoping to get a doberman, even put a deposit down with a breeder. I spent many hours researching the breed and it was just not a good match. We live downtown, no back yard, brutal winters. This dog needs to be out for up to two hours every single day. After that I tried to adopt a smaller dog, put several applications forward and got denied every time. That was mind boggling considering that 1.5 mil pets get killed in shelters every year. I know everyone wants a puppy right now but I was applying for older dogs. After being turned away a few times, I did some research as to why. It turns out to be a known issue. There was an article about a head of some big pet charity being denied a dog and him saying "If I can not adopt, who can?!". We have now put a deposit down with a reputable breeder for a puppy and waiting for him to be old enough to go home.

@Inna22  Human relationships are complicated and so is love from one human to another.  I love my children far more than I could love a pet, but love for a pet is far less complicated, so I would agree with you.  Being someone's pet seems like a win-win.