Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Share your food bucket list

food market edited.png

Hello all!

I hope you're well. 

Recently, I read a great article about all the various dishes you find in different countries and it's amazing to see how diverse food is!

I think most of us that have travelled to different countries, find trying the local food is one of the highlights. However, there are so many countries around the globe, that it would take a long time before you'd be able to try all the dishes!

I thought it'd be great to create a food bucket list with your top 5 must-try dishes and the most daring dishes you've tried 🙂. Perhaps you have local dishes on your list! 

Here's my rather adventurous food bucket list:

1. Deep fried chocolate Locusts - Israel
2. Deep fried tarantulas (I've always wondered what they taste like) - Cambodia
3. Airag - Fermented horse milk (contains alcohol) - Mongolia
4. Tuna eyeball soup - Japan
5. Frog legs (Cuisse de Grenouille) - France

In terms of other adventurous dishes, I've tried a snail soup and a Chinese Century egg so far.

I look forward to seeing your food bucket list!

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

16 Replies 16
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel @Linda @Kimberly @Albert @Oomesh Kumarsingh @Marit Anne @Ange @Nutth @Luke73 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Matthew285 @Lawrene0,

I'm very curious to see your food bucket list :-). 

-----

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Food and bucket in the title brought Monty Python's Mr. Creosote to mind, @Quincy. You can look him up, but maybe not immediately after a meal of airag and eyeballs. Give it time to settle. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0, I wonder what will happen to me after the eyeballs and airag :-). 

What are the local dishes in your area? 

-----

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Uh @Quincy you just ruined my appetite 😞 😛

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no @Branka-and-Silvia0!

Maybe some Zagorski Štrukli will do better? (correct me if I am wrong) 

-----

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

I’m boring ...irl just settle for a pav 🙂 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ria16,

Is Pav Indian food? 

Are you sure wouldn't try any of the food listed above? 

-----

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Morena @Quincy.  It’s one of New Zealand’s greatest inventions Pavolva 😉 generally topped with cream and kiwi fruit 🙂 sweet tooth here 😉

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ria16, I just Googled Pavolva—it looks delicious!

Here's a dish from The Netherlands which we call 'Poffertjes' (small pancakes). You can top it off with some ice cream for maximum sweetness :-). 

poffertjes .jpg

-----

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Oh yum! Sign me up for the Netherlands 😉

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Quincy

France and those frogs legs, that is a myth.  I live in France for 6 moths of the year and I have never seen those on offer anywhere.  As for snails (escargots), you see those from time to time.  And they are mad about their oysters. And what about the hundreds of different cheeses ?

China - abalone - expensive and disgusting. And I have probably eaten things I would rather not know what they were - it is hard to understand menus in Chinese 🙂 - this was at a time when McDonalds, Pizza Hut and mixer taps were a great novelty in Beijing.  

Japan - my first sushi/sashimi experience at a time when eating raw fish was unthinkable and the only place in Europe you could have sushi were a counter by the food halls at Harrods in London. I only saw Japanese eating there....

Hawker stalls in Singapore - curried fish head anyone ?

Iceland - half a lamb's head at the deli - kept warm next to the fried chicken in case you wanted to grab one on the go !

Norway - lutefisk - dried fish softened in lye mix. Now that is an acquired taste.  Or pan fried cod tongues - not as bad as it sounds though.

Cyprus and a dish at a mezé table that looked like spaghetti - they were intestines.  

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Marit-Anne0,

Thank you for sharing your food expierences—it sounds very adventurous! 

I was actually in Paris for a few days last weekend, and I was able to find frog legs on the menu! 

frog legs menu.JPG

-----

@Quincy

Must be for the benefit of the tourists 🙂 I have spent months in Paris and never seen them.  We must ask Helga, she lives in Paris. 

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy I would really want to try the "black sapote" aka the chocolate pudding fruit. And guess what, apparantly when the fruit is ripe it taste like chocolate pudding. yum! 

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.