The guessing game!

Marko2
Level 2
Belgrade, Serbia

The guessing game!

Hi @Lizzie and @Marjo0, you still wants to play guessing games?

Ok, I'll start with words if you join will be nice.
Well, we'll play 'what is the name of this city'. 

This city is the capital of one state. There are two old town inside of and a big old fortress at heart of itself.
Located on two rivers which is getting a confluence with a nice landscape. One of them is well-known in the International waters.
It has a large lake, intact island that is habitat for many birds, one low mountains at outskirts, couple beautiful parks and two (or three) forests. 

If someone wants to play, I'll get back to once at week and write something else. Or to explain more about what I wrote.

Until the next meeting - stay well! Marko

32 Replies 32

Nice! Well, give a chance to @Robin4, firstly he was hit correct.

I also think it's Iceland, Reykjavik as capital city. Isn't it @Taryn4?

Great job! 

Your turn! 😉 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great round @Taryn4. I have never been to Iceland, it's on my wishlist though! Have you?

@Robin4, I think it's your go. Where are you going to pick? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Taryn4 @Marko2 @Lizzie Thanks for the opportunity to put my 'oar'  in the water.

My city requires you to speak a little French!

It was one of only two cities in the area to be bombed by the Germans during World War 2

This city has a Cathedral of Notre Dame!

This city  is where Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Ebb Tide" begins.

Artist Paul Gaugin spent most of his life in this city.

A long plane flight is required from just about anywhere on earth to reach this city.

To me, although very run down, some of my lovliest memories are in this city of my dreams....cheers.....Rob

Papeete, Tahiti? 

I know Gaugin was in Tahiti but I'm not entirely sure how they divide up the regions of French Polynesia. I believe this is the capital though and it means "Basket of the Water". 

So cool to learn something new! I had no idea about the WWII bombings. Why was it bombed? Was it a Military Station? Thanks for sharing the history. It looks like I'll need to add that to my list of places to visit. Well-worn cities are the same as well-worn clothes. It doesn't matter if there is a hole or a stain, they are comfortable, cozy, filled with memories and impossible to throw away (HELP! I have way too many memory t-shirt drawers!) 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Taryn4 @Lizzie  Hey Taryn, how good are you!!!

You are absolutely right and a lot of people do not know where the name came from .....good on you.

It was bombed purely because although very remote in the Pacific.....it was French!!

It is terrible run down because the last reigning monach was concerned about the amount of French Polonesia that was being bought up by outsiders.....people who did not have a link to Tahiti so, in the 1890s she passed an act of Parliament call 'The Act of Aquisition By Division' ......and what this act stated, if one Tahitian marries another the possesions of both families become common. The end result of that (in practice) you could have 100 people each owning the same house, or block of land!!!

So consquently developement came to a standstill because as soon as one person showed some entreprenurial spirit and tried to improve something, the rest of the family came out of the woodwork for a share of the profits!!!!

Great guessing Taryn....but who's turn is it now???

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Wow, that is so facinating about Tahiti! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. How crazy about the marriage law! 

Let's plan a Gaugin tour! 

@Lizzie

Thankfully I have been to Iceland and get to visit every other year. My husband is from there and we actually met infront of Hallgrímskirkja (the large downtown church) on New Years.

Most people visi in the summer and enjoy the midnight sun. It is truly beautiful in summer (thick mats of moss covering the lava rock as far as the eye can see) but NYE and winter time is very special. The firework show(s) are like none other! It also thankfully stays mostly warmer than NYC or London in the winter (thanks to the Gulf Stream). 

If you ever decide to go- I'd be glad to connect you with my favorite places. 🙂 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw this is turning into such an interesting thread, I feel like I am learning so much. Thanks guys 🙂 

Great to hear a little more about Iceland, Taryn. It sounds like the perfect place to spend NYE and the meeting of you and your husband almost sound like something out of a movie - quite magical! I am suprised to hear it is warmer than London at this time of the year, maybe I should plan a trip?

To answer you question @Robin4, in the strict rules of 'The Guessing Game', (well really we should ask @Marko2 this, as he started this here), the baton should now move back to @Taryn4! Taryn I think you really deserve to post the next place/city. 🙂

(Also, it would be great to hear about the places you would love to travel to - your Travel Wish List. Take a look at this post in the Travelers Board).

Can't wait for the next city? I wonder where it will be... 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Oh no, Reykjavik is colder in the summer than London, just the winters it stays warmer (more temprate). When temps hit above 75 in summer you could expect to see lots of naked people soaking up the sun. Haha.

However, we had a long layover in London on our way to our honeymoon in Croatia in August 2008 though and it did happen to be chillier in London than Iceland when we left. 🙂 

I'll go to your list. I had a goal to visit 30 countries by the time I was 30 (last year I failed miserably). I think I had 8 to go. 😞 Well 50 by 50 it is! Any tips appreciated! 

Hmmm, strict rules. Haha! Alright, let's turn up the juice! This was one of my favorite places to live, I was only 18 and it shook up my world, opened my eyes and taught me so much and in the most loving way possible. I hope you all find it interesting learning about too. 

-This country means "South"

-It was explored by a man with the name of (another word for- Chef) and he was welcomed warmly. So the country was given the nickname "the (another word for- kind) (another simplified, singular word for- archipelago).

-The people are nearly one of the first to see the day. 

-They remember their leader on Dec. 4th (his coronation day). Siaosi is this lands version of the name George. This leader changed his name to George following his baptisim. 

-The country motto is "God and (this country) are my inheritance." 

This is a hard one! Give it a try, you guys are so smart, I'm certain you'll get it but I'm here if you need more clues. 

Firstly, to all of you I'm sorry if I was made a confusion at the thread, with my answers before. I had used a phone to reanswer, obviously badly and messy.

@Lizzie, @Taryn4, @Robin4, rules is simply in any other 'Guessing game'. But, we can developed ours, untill is fun here for us. I think that is a good start point for rule. 🙂

Well @Taryn4, it will be even more challenging for my English than Geography. I'm not good at words in English (still learning). I'll try you be sure at that.

Were you thinking of Tonga? 🙂

"Ko e ʻOtua mo Tonga ko hoku tofiʻa"

At a Tonga jersey.

@Marko2 Mālō e lelei!!! Wow! What an amazing jersey! Tongan players are the best! I prefer Aussie Rules though. 😛 haha! 

Good for you @Taryn4. Aussie is incredibly sport for that you should be fast and skillful. It's fun to play mixed in a park field with a friends. Somehow I had guessed for that, the League may be extreme hard sport.

You like old clothes and Aussie; were you lived in Australia? 🙂

PS: Did I cracked your quest?