Trees - History of Trees

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Trees - History of Trees

Good morning fellow CC users.

We all encounter Trees of various ages, species etc where ever we venture on out travels.

This interesting article from 1912 with reference to Photographic archives in Australia dating back to 1862 Gardener's Chronicle and other archives from the 1800's may inspire those of us who like our trees to seek further details and share them in our communities just how old those Trees around us really are.

Do  you know who planted the Trees in your location?
We have all at some stage been mystified about the stories behind trees.

Do you have historic books in your libraries hidden away with history we should be learning from and ensure is taught in schools?

Please share  a story, and photo of a Tree you like.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NEM19120112.2.13

@Kath9 @Belinda55 @Cathie19 @Max144 @Sharon1014 @Beach-Stays-Australia0 @Australia-Property-and-I0 @Australian-Executive-Apartments0 @Victoria8 

@Yarra-Valley0 @Trees1 @Tree1 @Tree0 @Sandra126 

19 Replies 19
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Kia Ora  @Helen427 

The oldest tree in Paris                          

EAB2E90F-BDDF-419F-845C-F2DFC772F134.jpeg

Just crossing the Seine from Notre Dame (of course also medieval, built 1163-1345), there is a small nice little park called Square René Viviani. (Actually, from there, you have one of the best possible views of the cathedral.) This square used to be a Merovingian (5th – 7th century) cemetery, and later there were some monastic buildings.

The tree is tired and now supported by a concrete column. Many people were passing by without noticing the oldest tree in Paris and do not know that there is a Locust, called in French « Robinier », came from North America and planted in 1601.

CD73E560-FD68-4E49-A3C3-46C8E91D0A98.jpeg

5FD3C3FC-EB3A-4BF1-A6CC-16585F483D07.jpeg

The tree was first planted in 1601, more than 400 years ago. Jean Robin, a well known botanist and doctor, brought many exotic plants back to Europe from his travels in the French American colonies. He was the official gardener of the king, and was later entrusted to set up the Jardin des Plantes botanical garden, where the second oldest tree in the city (also a robinia) was planted by his son.

9EBE6B46-C8FF-463D-A71B-E3C838019A9E.jpeg

You will also notice that its leaning figure seems very worn. Although being wonky, this Locust is in great health! Cleverly concealed under a mass of ivy, a cement structure also supports the 15 meters high trunk, while the average height of Locust rarely exceed 10 meters.

542E10C9-87BC-4584-98D2-C035467C9DC0.jpeg

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Beautiful @Dale711 .... but the tree is being suffocated by that Ivy. Needs a balance too much ivy kills the tree as its saprophytic. I had trees die on my land due to ivy can someone help the tree by removing it or some of it? Ivy offers great cover for wildlife and birds but at too great a cost for the tree.  xx

@Mary996 @Helen427 

You’re right about the ivy.

That why we called it ‘ poison ivy. ‘

The poison ivy became ‘ Poison Ivy.’ 

The ‘Poison Ivy usually climbing plant that has leaves with three leaflets and can cause an itchy painful rash when touched and: a skin rash caused by

poison ivy.

‘ you tried’ The best of Poison Ivy - by Uma Thuman, in Batman and Robin‘ you tried’ The best of Poison Ivy - by Uma Thuman, in Batman and Robin

In fact, my flavor tree is The Major Oak.

The Major Oak – The Ancient Giant of Sherwood Forest - The Major Oak attracts up to 1 million tourists each year, many of which are looking to capture some of the magic of Robin Hood's legend.

The Major OakThe Major Oak

The Sherwood ForestThe Sherwood Forest

Thanks to Robin Hood's legend, the Sherwood forest has become one of the most well-known places in all of England. It attracts up to 1 million tourists each year, many of which are looking to capture some of the legend's magic. One of the giant oak trees in the country, the Major Oak, is right at the center of the tale as the reported home base of Robin and his band of merry men.

The earliest records of Robin Hood date back to the 13th century, and by the 16th century, it was well-established folklore. The legend goes that the skilled archer and his band of outlaws stole from the rich and gave to the poor in and around Nottingham forest. They managed to evade the long arm of the law by hiding out in Sherwood Forest, which at the time was much larger than it is today at nearly 100,000 acres. It also contained one of the main roads leading from London to York, providing lots of opportune victims.

The history of the Sherwood forest goes back much further than any legend. Remnants of ancient pre-ice age hunter-gatherers have been found in the woods, but by the end of the Roman period, farming was much more common in the region. Many of the current day towns and cities in Nottingham date back to the Roman period.

Errol Flynn as Robin Hood in the classic 1938 movie The Adventures of Robin HoodErrol Flynn as Robin Hood in the classic 1938 movie The Adventures of Robin Hood

@Helen427 @Mary996 @Angela1056 @Laurelle3  @Stephen1156  @Nick and @Ann72 

What is your flavor tree? And Ann, your flavor trees in New York? 

@Helen427 @Dale711 @Stephen1156 @Mary996 

Thank you!

“I learn something every time I go to.......the Community Center”.

My flavor tree is the lime tree (Linde, in German). In front of our house we rent on Airbnb there are two old and tall lime trees. They were planted almost 100 years ago by our great uncle Carlo and in June they give off a wonderful scent.

I can’t help myself but every time I enter the gate of our premise this old song from Willy Schneider comes to my mind:

”Vor meinem Vaterhaus steht eine Linde,

vor meinem Vaterhaus steht eine Bank,

und wenn ich sie einst wiederfinde

dann bleib ich dort ein Leben lang....“

The lime tree in winter, on the right side.Dagnente con la neve.jpg

Ciau @Angela1056 ,

I learn something everytime l read your post and love every of your post😍

I never see a linde as grown so high, 100 years, incredible!

Did the lime tree grown a lot of linde? Imagine in the summer when the tree fully bear the fruit...Amazing! 

Usually I can find lime tree plant  at the florists, Paris. We use to decorating the kitchen or living room in the apartment.Usually I can find lime tree plant at the florists, Paris. We use to decorating the kitchen or living room in the apartment.

Oh @Dale711 , „Linde“ is not a plant that produces lime as you show on your picture. I’m not sure, but the only English translation I found for “Linde” is lime tree. 

The two trees in our garden are like this one:

CD783474-73E1-4346-83DA-5E7968B44F5E.jpeg

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen427 

Thank you for sharing your wonderful thread and the links, love the trees.

What is your flavor tree in Auckland?

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

What an interesting idea! I love the vast conifers of the global north, but I'm also fortunate to live somewhere that has trees seen nowhere else. The huge eucalypts of Australia are amazing. On our property, we have several species, including my favourite - the apple box (Eucalyptus bridgesiana) - a eucalypt that grows huge and looks positively gothic in its aspect.

The photos below are of a particular tree about 50m off our back fence at the fringe of the forest. On the last photo you can see it at the right edge, as well as our own house and the two cottages that are our Airbnb properties.

DJI_0857.jpgDJI_0858.jpgDJI_0855.jpgDJI_0856.jpgDJI_0974.JPG

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wow! Truly amazing @Stephen1156 

You are custodian of a vast area. Did you use a drone to take these impressive pictures?

Yes, a friend took those with a drone. We live on 100 acres (40ha) of eucalypt forest, fern gullies with native orchids on rock outcrops, and swathes of native paper daisies. We've definitely got it tough 😂

We provide a home to two species of deer (we love them, some of our neighbours who also have them consider them introduced pests that compete with their grazing stock), one type of kangaroo, two wallaby species, and a vast array of birds, frogs, lizards, insects, spiders, wombats, possums and other small mammals, and the odd fox and rabbit. Seeing all this is definitely a feature for our guests.
We're 25km from the nearest town, so there's no light pollution and the night sky is remarkable.

-k5wb14.jpg

DSC_8512.jpg

DSC_8521.jpg

DSC_8531.jpg

DSC_8558.jpg

PXL_20210128_134046115.jpg

PXL_20210214_003830276.jpg

PXL_20210325_223948916.jpg

PXL_20210329_081129622.PANO.jpg

PXL_20210410_011221385.jpg

PXL_20210411_001932185.jpg

PXL_20210412_103454397.NIGHT.jpg

            

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Incredible @Stephen1156 . Thank you so much. These are amazing pictures. The lizard (?) looks like a crocodile going up a tree.....!! 

You are really tempting me to want to come over. I have been a bit put off Australia after hearing about so much ecological damage and also seeing all the wildnerness space being concreted over for RV's. Therefore it was good to hear of your endeavour although I am sorry about the attitude of your neighbours please know that you have support and appreciation  from over here in the UK.

That goanna was a big fellow; about 5' long.

There's definitely damage in some places, like the Barrier Reef. Successive state governments at all levels have been very beholden to development, agriculture, and miners. Still, we're a vast land with a great deal to see. RVs in most places aren't a terrible problem. More focus on 4x4 drivers who don't respect the wild places they go to would be my bugbear (and I'm one of those 4x4 drivers, but I'm very careful to stick to marked roads and respect the bush).

The deer are definitely a pest species, but at our place, there aren't enough of them to be a problem.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Stephen1156,

Amazing trees and beautiful photos.

The second photo and the last photo should announced in your listing.Incredible!

“ I learn something every times I go to the mountains!”

I