Use QR codes as a more sustainable way to host

in
Cancún, Mexico
Level 10

Our small contribution to a more sustainable stay could start with very simple and easy things, which in addition to saving paper is a way that guests find very novel.
It is not necessary to buy Solar Panels that represent a large investment for any of us, but we can take small actions to offer a totally environmentally friendly experience.
The use of QR Codes are more frequent wherever we go, it is more hygienic and innovative for many. You can create a QR code for your Guides, for the Welcome, even for a video. Everything that you could leave before with a paper note, you can make it electronic and believe it, guests appreciate it more.

Captura de pantalla 2021-08-10 a la(s) 4.19.23 p. m..png

Mauricio
Welcoming anyone who has made such
an extraordinary journey to stay at home.
7 Replies

Re: Use QR codes as a more sustainable way to host

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

It's a plausible idea, @Mauricio467, but so many of us prefer something to 'touch'. Many restaurant menus here [in London] went QR code early on in the pandemic but have since returned to 'normal' paper-based versions. Personally, I didn't enjoy the experience of staring/scrolling at/though a menu on my tiny screen.

The first page of my (sanitised) manual is how to get online (which I assume you'd need to use the QR code?). 

The phrase I'd use here is 'horses for courses'.

in
Cancún, Mexico
Level 10

@Gordon0 Of course, it is quite an issue, because precisely these types of actions are those that will have an impact on a sustainable way of hosting, after the pandemic most of my guests were young people between 18 and 24 years old, and they are the ones who adore and enjoy those changes. Mostly my guests come from the United States (NY, TX, MN, FL, CA), Argentina, recently Austria.

t is a matter of Sustainability and changes that will ultimately impact the life of a tree.

:   )

Mauricio

in
Cancún, Mexico
Level 10

I think the guests have the possibility in their reservations to know the name of the modem and the password.

Mauricio

in
Columbus, GA
Level 2

Hi Mauricio, I have been interested in exploring QR codes for instructional videos on how to operate some of our amenities at our historic homes. Do you have a program for creating the code you would recommend? 

in
Cancún, Mexico
Level 10

Hi @Joseph1158 ,

I can recommend QRSTUFF.COM, where in a very simple way you can create a QR Code for the link to a page, and there is the possibility of creating the link to a Video, a FB page, Twitter, or a PDF file . However, it has a cost, regularly they give you 50 free code scans and they charge you from the following scans.

Now if you have the ability to generate it through google sheets, it will be free and you can do it yourself, although it is a bit more complicated for some hosts.

I leave you the link of the video where they explain the whole process to generate it yourself. Just Scan it.

Captura de pantalla 2021-08-20 a la(s) 8.18.17 a. m..png

I hope the information is useful to you ¡

Mauricio

in
Columbus, GA
Level 2

@Mauricio467  Thank you! That is incredibly helpful I really appreciate it! 

in
West Palm Beach, FL
Level 2

Hi @Mauricio467 

I'm trying to figure out if this is a good idea for my listings or not...

I used to have prints with house rules, check-in and check-out instructions and then I simplified everything with a QR code.

My problem is that not a lot of guest scan the QR code and many rules are not being respected. I tried not to think that it's because of this change I made, but it's a really big difference before/after de QR code..

do you have any ideas on how to make guests scan it every time they check in?

Mike