What are the most common animals in your country?

What are the most common animals in your country?

What are the most common pets and animals in your country?

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ayxan0 

Emiel1_0-1659727129206.png

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

We live on an island in Thailand I guess the most common one is Elephant but we are surrounded by the jungle, you have to be careful at night thats when the jungle come alive.

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Ayxan0 

I suppose the commonest animal here in the US is probably a chicken, but that is a bird!Leghorn, Rock, Brown Sex-link.jpgMine are pets, though.  The commonest pet is probably a dog.

Ted & Chris
Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

By the way, @Sudsrung0 , your listing is so beautiful I can not imagine anyone bringing an animal to your place! 🙂

Ted & Chris

Thanks for your kind words,

It happens, not with us as we only do short term rentals, My friend who also has a unit there she does long term and the tenants smuggled a cat in, now big trouble the place stinks and damage that the cat has done, The tenants dont want to pay, 

It is in the contract "No Pets Allowed" My husband was there the other day and saw somebody there with a small dog.

@Sudsrung0 

We used to have rentals in Seattle. One year lease, and we accepted pets. The cats were the absolute worst! I had to sand down the floors to the bare wood and refinish the corner where the cats peed. 😞

The tenants did not pay. My labor is not chargeable according to our rental laws.

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ayxan0 

As far as I am aware, poultry (so chickens and similar birds) are the most common animals, followed by sheep and then cattle (cows). The most common pets are dogs and cats.

@Huma0 @Ayxan0 

Pet owners are the big factor in the acceptability of the animal, in my experience. I have birds, even chickens and ducks, but I only travel with the Queen of the flock -- my African Grey parrot. She is housebroken, she poops in the toilet every morning. (might be TMI there, I know). I have lots of positive reviews for her, as a guest, she makes us a lot of friends. That's because I spend a lot of time with her, training her, and socializing her with people.

I have met some very nice cats, just not those renter's cats! They were undesirable renters in lots of other ways, such as cleanliness, prompt payment of their rent, and having unregistered room mates to make their rent. 😞DylanTreat.jpgHere is Dylan, chewing on a chicken bone. Yes, birds can be omnivorous!

Parrots are not a common pet here in the US, but most hosts have accepted her, when I message them with a question. I would not be able to travel overseas with Dylan, due to the endangered species rules, I might not be able to get her admitted back to the US. She is almost 30 years old, and could live to be 80.

Ted & Chris
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 I love that you travel with Dylan, that's a first for me! How does she like travelling? I know some animals prefers sticking to their known home and environment, but parrots are a complete mystery to me so I'm really curious. She sounds like such a great guest and travel buddy. ☺️

@Kate867 was telling us about her parrot not long ago as well - is it an African grey as well, Kate? 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie 

Dylan loves to go with us on trips in the car. She has a small travel carrier, it is a dog carrier of the size that fits under an airline seat. When she sees us getting ready, packing the car, carrying luggage, etc, she get excited and says, "Let's Go"! A lot of the time, I put her in her carrier early because she is afraid we are leaving without her. She steps right onto the perch in her car carrier and gets a treat. We have a folding cage that she sleeps in every night, so she is used to it as her traveling home. Birds, especially African Grey parrots, are very attached to their people, their "flock", and hate being separated from their family. She has tons of good reviews as a guest.

When I really must travel without her for longer than a day, I board her at the avian vet, $25.00/night, but worth it. She is with other birds in their bird room and gets so much attention -- Dylan is very friendly for an African Grey, & will step right up on a stranger's hand if they are bird people. And she is an excellent talker, gives guys a "High Five" and says, "Want More" for treats -- especially if she sees someone eating something she likes.

Ted & Chris
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Emilie Yes, our Max is indeed an African Grey, and like @Ted307 s Parrot, also likes to travel.  However he does have a real issue with being restrained.  We are now on our third ‘Parrot proof’ travel cage/bag and fourth ‘chew resistant’ aviator harness.  His current travel cage is extremely industrial and secured with padlocks to stop him from making a sudden appearance on the dashboard when we are halfway down the A1.

@Kate867 

Greys are the best birds! I have trained ours to go to the toilet the first thing in the morning. No poop to clean up in her night cage!

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 

Some might think it's TMI, but personally I think it is amazing that Dylan poops in the toilet!  

I am learning that parrots are so intelligent. But also can be quite stroppy, like a human toddler. 

@Huma0 

Some say that an African Grey is as intelligent as a 5-year-old, and I agree. Past the potty-training age. I still don't know how many things Dylan can say, she still surprises me!

They are extremely attached to their people. They want to go where ever their family/flock goes. There are very sad cases of parrots that have a lot of problems from being neglected by their owners. When I got Dylan, the priority was a friendly and well socialized bird. I went to meet her and we had an interview! We both passed. 😉

Ted & Chris