What have your happy little moments been lately?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

What have your happy little moments been lately?

happy moment.PNG

The late Kurt Vonnegut Jr once said:

“‘And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is’.”

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting working away at my desk, and when I paused for a moment, I felt a rush of happiness and gratitude for my new job.  It was such a lovely feeling, and it made me think of Mr Vonnegut Jr’s words.

What have your “happy moments” been lately?

I think it’s really important, especially at the moment, to recognise the little moments of joy that we feel.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a happy little moment, or if it’s something more significant making you feel good.

Let’s see if we can give ourselves a little glow.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

31 Replies 31
Kimberly718
Level 10
North Stonington, CT

The last of the winter storms are behind us on 100 Acre Wood in North Stonington, Connecticut and we are already starting to see the first blooms. This was our first six months of hosting and we weathered some fairly brutal winter storms including a blizzard that left us with 4 ft drifts and a guest who was determined to get out to her scheduled event regardless. We relish in making guests happy, exceeding their expectations so while that one was particularly difficult we rose to the challenge and she had a wonderful time despite the blizzard. The past 6 months was an adventure but also quite daunting at times.  With the signs of spring I am finding myself feeling happy; beyond the mental acknowledgement of the change in season, I am feeling happiness throughout my body. It's tingling feeling, a lifting of my spirit. We took a couple of weeks off from the guest house which has been a nice break and gave us some time to freshen things, conduct a photoshoot of the interiors and getting ready for a full house in April and bookings coming in daily. Bracing for the busy months but with excitement and renewed energy.

2DFD9E0C-063B-44C2-83BD-A4CFE1CBB926_1_105_c.jpeg

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

What an utterly gorgeous post and photo @Kimberly718!  I'm feeling your good energy for the coming Spring! 

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny my happy moments are in the garden making sure that it is tidy with a bloom for my guests.

I make fresh scones jam and cream for my guests and I take a couple over to my 89 yr old neighbour and we have a standing joke that" I have brought over her daily bread" as well as checking in on her well-being, this brings me a happy moment as "sharing is caring".

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Laurelle3!  

How truly lovely of you!  Looking after the people around us is so important.  Your neighbour must really appreciate the care you take to bring her daily bread and make sure all is ok.

I'm now craving scones with jam and clotted cream...

-----

Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

20220328090007_IMG_0602.JPGThe birth of this little one last week was a BIG happy moment. I'm conscious daily of my blessings and how fortunate I am that I get to do what I love every day and share it with guests.  I was actually hosting online guests for a tour when we came across the newly born Vuyo and the whole giraffe family welcoming the newest member. Very special.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow @Deirdre122, this is incredible!  This is a VERY special happy moment!

-----

Wow!  I love animals and I love South Africa.  I hate zoo's.  They are prisons.  Animals should be free to roam their land were ever they are.  Thank you for sharing.

Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

In the words of Anna Quindlen: “Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. It would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as the ones most of us lead now, that won’t happen. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live.” And seeing friends in person after 2 years of hard lockdown and hugging them tightly, made me feel really, really happy. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

That is beautiful @Lindie6!  I'm so happy you got to hug your friends properly.  It's been such a difficult few years.  

Did you have any big plans with your friends when you reunited, or were you just happy to hang out in each other's company?

-----

Lindie6
Level 5
Cape Town, South Africa

My husband and I have been super careful ourselves, so initially, we'd just meet friends outdoors to go for a walk together, but we've since started inviting friends over to our apartment to have a meal together - or have a 'braai' (BBQ) on the balcony.

The world scene has certainly changed over the past few years, but companionship and good conversation still strengthen our social fibre and give us a reason to continue.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds lovely, @Lindie6!  I wish I could do some outdoor cooking here but it's currently still trying to snow!

What kind of food do you typically make for a braai? 

-----

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

277577993_10166030667110548_8220835832691126286_n.jpeg

My dad rescued a cuddly bumble bee from the cold. Nice and warm, some sugary solution and he was trying to get out of the house before we knew it. Thankfully the sun was out as he drifted off onto the peach blossom. @Jenny 

-----

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

What a beautiful, fluffy bee, @Stephanie !  I'm glad your dad was able to save it!  Do you know what kind of sugar your dad used?  I've heard that only certain types of sugar should be used, and I'd definitely want to help if I found an ailing bee.

-----

@Stephanie  Awe!  I saw a story on the dodo a couple of years ago where a woman had found a bumble bee in her garden that didn't have wings.  She also fed him sugar water and created a whole terarium type habitat with flowers from her garden for him and he lived there in the garden until his time was up.