What hobby helps you stay positive?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What hobby helps you stay positive?

Liv_0-1596106161458.png

Hey everyone,

We have all spent the past few months self isolating, so I know lots of people have managed to dedicate their extra free time to immersing themselves in a hobby.

Whether it’s a newfound passion or an old favourite pastime, many have found lockdown to be the perfect opportunity to develop some skills while reducing stress.

From learning a new language to improving your culinary abilities, playing an instrument to gardening, there are plenty of fun options out there to help pass the time.

I for one have been doing quite a bit of drawing to help me relax. I also love singing, so it’s been pretty cool being able to practice more often 😊

What about you? How have you spent your extra free time these past few months? Did you learn any new skills or rediscover any dormant hobbies? 

Thanks,

Liv

34 Replies 34
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liv,

Before COVID-19, my favorite past-time was traveling.  During the past few months, we've spent a lot of time renovating our Atlanta rental apartment and our home.  We plan to do more renovations in St. Lucia.  I really do like creating the design and layout, updating the decorations (not sure about my husband though).

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 I must say I'm also super interested in interior design but I'm not particularly good at it myself, so I love hearing about renovation stories and specially seeing pictures 💖

The work you and your husband did on the new window turned out amazing, I'd love to see some photos of what you've been up to nowadays if you have them! 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liv,

Last week we repainted the apartment to a lighter color, and changed a headboard.  We have a guest that's leaving tomorrow, and we plan to hang more pictures next week.  

BeforeBefore

NowNow

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

It looks great! Amazing how a new headboard can make seem more comfortable 😌

I also love the lamps btw.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Doing a lot of adult coloring book work. It's easy to do while listening to music or sipping a glass of wine.  And, it's very relaxing.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ann783 That sure sounds like the perfect combo to decompress after a hard day ✍️ 🍷 🎶 💤

I might have to change my plans for the evening 😁

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Learning cornet

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How lovely, @Sandra126! Wind instruments are so beautiful 🌟

I've never tried playing one, do you find it hard to learn? How long have you been playing it?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Really hard! Have been playing since April.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sandra126 Wow, good for you!

Hopefully the Community gets you hear you play sometime. Maybe at a CC meetup? 👀🤔💡

@Sandra126Remember the phrase, "Never give up, never , never,never"

You will succeed.

I admire anyone who can read music to as it was a challenge only having one class a week for an hour growing up.

I've a friend who plays the piano beautifully.

Alas not so keen on those who used to practice the bagpipes early in local parks on a Sunday morning!

Much prefer to hear Church bells chimming which is an art in itself.

Does anyone here in CC have experience undertaking Church Bell ringing?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I learnt to explore parts of Auckland that I hadn't ventured in for a while including our neighbourhood during the daytime and at night when the lights shine within and outside creating a different setting on homes and trees and gardens.

One of my favourite pastimes is exploring streets with heritage homes in and ponder upon who built, lived in those places and the many, many stories those wonderful homes could tell, if only they could talk.

It's fun when there's no traffic on the roads.

We walked along them visualising what it was like to walk along them in there barren states before tarseal and horse and cart, Model T Fords in sunshine and rain.

We also reflected on what style of clothing those before us wore in far more challenging times.

Not to be overlooked, we also reflected on the animals roaming freely where now it's covered in houses.

A little spotting old fences and paddock lines around neighbourhood's adds another dimension to one's life.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a beautiful sentiment, @Helen427.

Was there any particular spot that you discovered during those walks that has become a regular place you visit now?

Also, you've made me curious about the history of New Zealand. Now somebody has some reading to do 😜

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

That's a tricky question to answer @Liv as there's many places in Remuera and beyond that we visited.

I guess bc I've a soft spot for the UK Royal Family & understanding of their roles in Peacekeeping I probably found some of the places that we explored are named after them & where they visited the most interesting.

One of our highlights was visiting Devonport on the North Shore where King Edward Parade is and the archway is named after him as on goes onto the beach, seeing a young lad proudly wearing his UK Flag helmet who kindly posed for me at the intersection under the signpost of Cambridge Terrace & King Edward Parade, where Queen Elizabeth visited North Head where the War Tunnels are, and of course Victoria Avenue in Remuera named after Queen Victoria - how English is that?

I often stopped and thought of those of you based in the UK whilst we were on our sunny summers day expeditions @Lizzie @Huma0 @Helen3 @Helen350 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Mike-And-Helen0 @Liv @Stephanie @Quincy and all you wonderful people.