What hobby helps you stay positive?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What hobby helps you stay positive?

Liv_0-1596106161458.png

Hey everyone,

We have all spent the past few months self isolating, so I know lots of people have managed to dedicate their extra free time to immersing themselves in a hobby.

Whether it’s a newfound passion or an old favourite pastime, many have found lockdown to be the perfect opportunity to develop some skills while reducing stress.

From learning a new language to improving your culinary abilities, playing an instrument to gardening, there are plenty of fun options out there to help pass the time.

I for one have been doing quite a bit of drawing to help me relax. I also love singing, so it’s been pretty cool being able to practice more often 😊

What about you? How have you spent your extra free time these past few months? Did you learn any new skills or rediscover any dormant hobbies? 

Thanks,

Liv

34 Replies 34
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's so nice, @Helen427!
I haven't had a chance to travel a lot around the UK yet, but can't wait.

And hopefully you'll be able to come back soon 😊

I love yoga and paddle boarding! I also signed up recently for the web developer course in Technical institute😊😊😊. It was my dream for such a long time, but i didn't know how and where to start. My best friend recommended me check the pissed consumer reviews about universities and collages in the area (thanks Jen!) and i found those  https://fortunebuilders.pissedconsumer.com/review.html . I gave them a call and here we are, I am student again!! So exited )))

Anything where you make something that others can appreciate. For me it's cooking, music, gardening, and cardmaking. When you look at something awesome and think "I made that" it is the best feeling in the world.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Alex6879,

Actually, to me the best feeling in the world is, "I ate that."😁

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a great way to sum it up, @Alex6879 💕

@Debra300 Not gonna lie, I can definitely relate 😂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv 

I've been trying to get some DIY jobs done in the house, but I wouldn't call that a hobby. I have also been spending a lot of time gardening (also work, but also very relaxing). That, and trying out many new recipes.

This is going to sound plain weird to a lot of folk but, years ago, a photographer I worked with gave me a large dolls house. It had some random bits of furniture in it but, (like my full sized house when I bought it) needed a full renovation. It had clearly been well used over the years. In my formerly super hectic life, this renovation was not a priority, so I set the dolls house down in a suitable spot and did nothing with it. Many guests admired it but I hope not too many of them looked inside because it's a mess.

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-023-1200x1800.jpg

Anyway, during lockdown, I decided to start on this long-overdue project and got quite into it. This is a hobby that I know most people find highly suspect but, if you are into history, architecture, costume history, interiors, upcycling and learning new crafts, like I am, it's an excellent way to combine all of these. It's also a way to experiment with interiors ideas without having to commit to them on a large scalse. I can't tell you how strong the urge is to redecorate rooms in my house because of my love for interior design, but it's kind of stupid to spend time and money redecorating rooms that don't need it!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

love it @Huma0 , i'm sure you will find plenty of inspiration in that huge pile of collectors edition magazines we spotted in one of your rooms when your beautiful home was featured here in ABB not long after I joined CC.

Then there's always a Dools House that can inspire one at local museums on one's adventures in life

All the best

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

Thank you. Yes, I do have a LOT of interiors magazines 🙂 It's a bit of an obsession.

There is an amazing collection of dolls houses at the Victoria & Albert Museum of Childhood, where I used to take my niece when she was younger. She used to play with my dolls house and I bought her a (child friendly) 'Victorian' one and also an amazing flip up book that turns into a little Edwardian dolls house, which she loved even more. Since then, she has grown out of that hobby. She has just turned 11 and is more interested in her smartphone and smartwatch these days!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 That actually sounds super fun! I must say I'm very curious to see what the inside of the doll house looks like.
Have you been making the tiny furniture yourself?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv 

It still looks a mess right now. It was a work in progress when I suddenly got my first post-lockdown booking, so had to gather up my tools and materials and shove them all back in there!

Yes, I've had a go at making a few bits (will try to take some photos) but a lot of it has been 'upcycling' existing furniture. I've learnt that dolls house furniture tends to be pretty generic, i.e. a 'Victorian' pastiche of faux mahogany and generally frumpy style.

It's amazing though what you can make with something random like an egg carton and some chopsticks!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv, this is a 'whitewashed wooden floor' I made for one of the rooms using a cereal box and some scraps of wood effect wallpaper I had lying around. I'm not totally satisfied with it so am going to have another go, but was happy with it for a first attempt.IMG_20200616_151229.jpg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And this is a little firescreen I made from card, a scrap of fabric, a bit of string and some gold paint. Again, a first attempt, so I reckon I can do a better job next time.IMG_20200710_161435.jpg

@Huma0 , the doll house is a cool project, do you have a little tiny hammer and saw?   Ha ha!!!!  Actually, I couldn't help but notice your supercool staircase and the trim work, its beautiful!   Did you have to un-paint it?   Stay well, JR

Making cards. 

I love painting and I painted my own gift cards and sent them to my friends and family. Everyone seemed to love them and I thought I would try and create a greeting card series like https://onplanners.com 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Alex6879 That's a lovely idea, especially during these times. I know I would definitely appreciate getting something that thoughtful from a friend or relative 😊