Where would you go on vacation this year?

Shwetank0
Level 4
Varanasi, India

Where would you go on vacation this year?

Good day guys !

If you had to go on vacation this year, where would you go?

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 15.11.43.png

Shwetank
35 Replies 35

@Huma0 

Just one of the 40 million Californians who are! (Even though I live in Arizona now). I would not consider driving in the UK, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road! We went to London in 1998, and really enjoyed not having to have a car. We took the train to Bath, and Liverpool. Then we went up to Glasgow. Stayed in wonderful old Victorian houses that were in the Bed & Breakfast book. Walked all around Stonehenge, too.

But, we rented a car when we went to France to see the villages in the south. Wonderful country and villages where we parked outside the village and walked every where inside the medieval walls!

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 

Yep, London is definitely not a place to explore by car! Forget about the traffic. Parking is a nightmare, then there is the congestion charge... It's just not a practical nor economic way of doing things here.

I had a car since I was 17 (that was a long time ago) and worked two jobs to save for driving lessons, but I sold my car about three years ago because I simply was not using it enough to justify the expense of running it. The battery kept going flat! Maybe one day I will get another one but I'm not in any rush as live a five minute walk from a well connected tube station and can be in central London in no time at all.

There are other places though where driving makes sense and gives you an accessibility that you do not have otherwise. I once had a lovely holiday touring Northern Spain using a rental car. Then again, I got around Mexico and Guatemala for six months just fine without a vehicle. That did involve hitching a  ride from time to time. I was young and travelling with an athletic boyfriend, so never encountered any security issues, but I suppose it's not what I would advise my daughter to do!

@Huma0 

I would not own a car in London, or New York! Lots of public transportation and no parking.

Here in a small city in Arizona, we could get by without a car for local things like going to the store, but to go anywhere out of town is hours in a car, and forever by bus! We do have some buses, but mostly just airport shuttle services. From our place it is 2 hours by car to Phoenix airport to the south, or 2 hours to the Grand Canyon north of us. Just not practical for public transit. Most visitors here rent a car at the airport, even our family. They know it is a long drive to pick them up at the airport!

If I am going to a place I know will have good transportation, or is so small we can just walk everywhere, I could possibly leave my car at home. 😉

Most of my favorite trips have been driving trips, though! One summer I drove the Alaska Highway and put 10,000 miles on my VW bus. I was younger then! Driving up the Coast Hwy from California to Washington has been a favorite way to spend the summer many years since we retired.

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 

I've always wanted to do an American road trip. Originally, my dream was to do coast to coast. Later, I thought about doing a trip from Southern to Northern California and it was all planned, but one of our group didn't get her visa in time so we ended up surfing in South West France.

Probably I was too influenced by Thelma and Louise when I was young though. Not that I plan on shooting anyone or committing suicide (spoiler alerts!)

@Huma0 

LOL on Thelma & Louise! Surfing is never a bad trip.

I sold that VW bus to 2 German guys when I got back, they wanted to see the desert. Winter is the only time to drive an old air-cooled VW bus in the desert, I hope they made it!

Gas prices might keep traffic down on the drive to Alaska this summer, the time I went were some of the lowest gas prices ever, under $1.00 on the west coast of the US, ~$2-3.00 in Canada and Alaska. I would still do it now, but not in a huge Motorhome like you see a lot on that drive! The van got ~ 20 miles per gallon and was OK to sleep in, too. We rented a canoe for a week, and went north on the Mac Kinsey River delta. Amazing. 

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 

When I was travelling in Mexico, I came across some of the most insane motorhomes. I had no idea before then that these things even existed. I mean, these were not the caravans and campervans that I was used to seeing growing up here in the UK.

There was one guy who had a motorboat strapped to the top and a huge motorbike strapped to the back. The inside of that RV was kitted out like some 5* hotel room. He was rather handsome too. I was quite tempted to run off with him but stayed loyal to my "motorhomeless" boyfriend. 🙂

Still, I do like the old style VW camper vans though. There is something rather nostalgic and romantic about them and I've been perfectly happy whenever I've slept in one.

@Huma0 

I fetched some gas for one of those monsters on the Alaska Hwy. When they ran the generator, it used up the fuel they needed to make it to the next gas station! That is about all you see on that road, OMG is right on some of them. Lucky to get 5 mpg with one. I was cooking breakfast on the tailgate of the van (it was just a regular van I made some curtains for and got a foam mattress) and those motorhome guys were all coming over -- they don't cook in their nice kitchens, because it will smell up their fancy rolling palace! They wanted some bacon and eggs!

Ted & Chris

@Shwetank0 

Just thought I would let you know about the email AirBnB sends out when someone looks at your property. There were 4 whole house listings with a lot of reviews much lower priced than your place. I took a shot of the first 2 for you to see.Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 17-56-06 (3 unread) - pixelgypsy@yahoo.com - Yahoo Mail.png

Ted & Chris
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Probably Bali, Indonesia @Shwetank0 😃 How about you? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

Although it was a long time ago, I've been to Bali a couple of times. It was wonderful, especially if you pick somewhere to stay that isn't too 'resort-y' and still has a bit of local charm. 

next time come to cuba my friend. you can enjoy full house and private near the river and amazing views **

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

Shwetank0
Level 4
Varanasi, India

Thinking about Canada 

Shwetank

@Shwetank0Vancouver, BC is a great place to go in the summer. I used to live in Seattle and we would drive there, then take the ferry to Victoria. The Island is a great place, and you can see the Orcas from the ferry sometimes. It takes a big heat wave for it to be over 80 degrees F, even in the summer.

Ted & Chris

@Ted307 , I agree! 

I Love Vancouver! 

@Shwetank0 , I recommend Vancouver or Vancouver Island!