Who is your sister city?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Who is your sister city?

457918_GettyImages-960606684ForYou.jpg

Hey there everyone,

Denham, UK twinned with Shark Bay, AU? Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK twinned with Atlanta, US?

I fondly remember being driven around by my family to different places and wondering what these sister cities were like, often on the other side of the world to us.

How interesting it would be to find the sister city to your hometown and maybe even meet sister hosts, right here on the Community Center!

So then, what are the sister cities to your hometown? Can we find some matches?

Thanks, 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

11 Replies 11
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'll start! I am from Rugby which is twinned with two cities: Évreux, France and Rüsselsheim, Germany.

Seems like all three are right close to a river too. 

Thanks

-----

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Stephanie.

Darwin has six sister cities. For a small population we are extremely multicultural and diverse in language and ethnicity. This makes us a great place for tolerance and acceptance. Often called Australia’s gateway to Asia. We are as close to Singapore by plane, as we are to Sydney in our southern states. So here’s to our sisters!

D1429B6F-EC5F-4A4A-85DE-2D9A171E394D.jpeg

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 thanks for sharing this, I find it so interesting to learn of different cultures and history. 🙂 

I wonder, do you think you'll ever visit one of your sisters? I also wonder, what the history is between these bonds being formed. 

Shame you've no sister in Britain 😞 

Thanks

-----

Hi @Stephanie. I am unsure of all of the history of the creation of all these cities /towns  becoming sister cities but: 

Dili. The Darwin Yacht club wanted to race northwards. The first race was to Dili, until political unrest. Darwin also became the epicentre of the humanitarian crisis during 1999 when massive political conflict occurred between Indonesia (West Timor) and East Timor. The general population was brought to Darwin. An international naval and army contingency assembled in Darwin and operated off our wharf. Amazing sight of naval vessels 3 abreast than another three, each from different countries, sailors crossing the decks. A refugee tent city was set up just down the road.... along side the Kalymnos Club, so there is a close association. All of Darwin population helped. Either sorting clothing, cooking - serving food, medical, translators, counselling etc etc etc. Dili is a bit like the Bali of the early 80s as it is less tourist affected, another destination of interest.

Ambon became the destination to the international yacht race from Darwin, until it also suffered political unrest. Now that things have settled again, this is a major international yacht  race that takes place yearly. 

Milikapiti formerly known as Snake Bay, is the main residence on Melville Island, part of the indigenous Tiwi Islands 80kms north of Darwin. I have never been to Melville Island, but Garry was the principal of the catholic high school at Wurrumiyanga, formerly known as Nguiu,  on the eastern island: Bathurst Island for a couple + years...    

Haikou on Hainan Island, China - is south of Hong Kong, and east of Hanoi. This may be a place we might visit, as we regularly visit Hanoi. Other than that, I only am aware that we have a large Chinese community in Darwin. There is a historical connection going back to the gold rush years.

Kalymnos, Greece. Darwin has a very large Greek population who in the majority, are from Kalymnos. Many Greeks helped rebuild Darwin after cyclone gravy, but many emigrated to Australia post WW2. There was a massive arrival of Australian born Greeks back to Darwin during the European/Greece financial difficulties. Great food and festivals.my high school buddy is Greek, and Garry and I got engaged on Crete, so Kalymnos could easily be in our travel agenda. 

Anchorage. Essentially,  we were traditionally the outposts for both our countries! Remote, laid back people and lifestyle, heavily affected by climate and enjoyed outdoor activities!  (Probably too cold for my “thin tropical blood”..... Even in it’s summer!

@Stephanie:

The sister cities of Tucson, Arizona, USA are

Roscommon, Ireland (the ancestral home of Hugo O'Conor, the Irish mercenary who established the military site that became Tucson)
Pecs, Hungary
Ciudad Obregón, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How interesting @Tim-and-Holly0 ! A lot of Mexican sisters for Arizona. I wonder, do you know what the origin is behind the link with those cities in particular. 

And my American history is rusty, we don't study it a great deal in England. Looking forward to researching Hugo O'Conor this evening!

-----

@Stephanie:

Each of the cities were selected based on increasing the exchange of commerce or arts, however I don't know the exact reasons. The city has defunded the program due to budget cuts and even the website promoting them no longer works.

Jackie378
Level 4
Maspalomas, Spain

I googled it and am very surprised to see the sister city to Las Palmas is San Antonio, Texas! 

my nearest city is Berwyn, IL

I love my family!
Kathleen645
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

I'm from Hamilton, On and our sister city is Flint Michigan.  One of my favourite places to visit when there is The Palace for their Coney Island dog

Grace686
Level 2
Northmead, Australia

I'm from Sydney, Australia - our sister cities are San Francisco, Nagoya, Wellington, Portsmouth, Guangzhou and Florence. Is anyone from any of those cities?