World Wildlife Day‌‌

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

World Wildlife Day‌‌

Liv_0-1614874246435.png

Hey everyone,

March 3rd marked the World Wildlife  Day, a date dedicated to raising awareness towards the world’s wild fauna and flora by keeping sustainable development in mind. 

As we think of different ways of leading more sustainable lives, I believe this is a great opportunity for us to celebrate the extraordinary diversity of wildlife that our planet has to offer. 

If you live in a big city, you might have been pleasantly surprised by wild animals taking to the streets during lockdown - a good reminder that animals have always lived around the area. I also know that for many of you, wildlife spotting is not unusual, as several of your listings are surrounded by nature. 

As a way of celebrating this date and reflecting on its importance, it would be great to hear your stories and experiences regarding fauna and flora in your surroundings.

Are there any wild animals near your listing? Have you got any great wildlife pictures to share?

Thanks,

Liv

45 Replies 45
Anna
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Liv I've had a few visitors in my garden 🙂 

IMG-20201208-WA0013.jpg

Vielen Dank für die gemeinsame Zeit im Community Center! Begrüßt die neue Community Managerin Juliane HIER.  Klickt HIER, um eine Unterhaltung mit anderen Mitgliedern zu beginnen. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Anna Wow!!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Anna Choco and Late are looking good as always 🍫🦌❤️

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Liv , thanks for the thread, I have to say, as a Certifiable Podunk Ruritain, I forget that the rest of the world is not blessed with the diversity of animal, plant and other cultured and wild critter life that I have been my whole life.   Growing up up working on small farms and being immersed in it daily usually means I only took pictures with my eyes!   Our latest critter that NY reintroduced that Im not so happy with is the Coyote.   They are literally wiping out much of the smaller animal life (Squirrels, Bunnies, Whistle Pigs and even Deer ) and I'm not a fan of seeing them in the back yard or hearing packs of them just outside the home at 3 in the morning.  I have to now tell guests not to try to pet any doggies other than my terrier!    Stay well, JR  

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Melodie-And-John0 well, those are the best kind of pictures 😊

That's scary about the coyotes! 😯 It's a good thing that you're warning guests. If they're like me and have never seen one before, they might indeed mistake it for a dog.

My place is unfortunately not surrounded by that great variety of wildlife, but I do have this little guy paying me a visit every now and then:

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-05 at 17.10.45.jpeg

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Liv,

I'm curious about wildlife, love of animals.  

My stepbrother loving, keeping and caring for Fennec Fox as a pet.  

He consults the veterinarian, feeds the Fennec mix of dog food, cat food, vegetarian and fruits.

Celine and  Iya, my nephew Celine , she is 7 years old  and  Iya's is  2 years oldCeline and Iya, my nephew Celine , she is 7 years old and Iya's is 2 years old

Fennec Fox, a Desert Fox also called " A Spirit of the Sahara ", live in North Africa, throughout the Sahara Desert.

Its most distinctive feature is its unusually large ears, which serve to dissipate heat, they are quick, active, and agile animals.

Iya's  with oversized ears are kept as petsIya's with oversized ears are kept as pets

Iya's  likely jump on furniture and could potentially knock over decorations and other items as it playsIya's likely jump on furniture and could potentially knock over decorations and other items as it plays

Iya's watching TV and love  hit hop  musicIya's watching TV and love hit hop music

My Aunt and Iya'sMy Aunt and Iya's

Iya's is so tiny and cuddlyIya's is so tiny and cuddlyThus, it's not easy to care  Iya's " is extremely delicate,Thus, it's not easy to care Iya's " is extremely delicate,

Iya's and my step brother " bisou- bisou "Iya's and my step brother " bisou- bisou "

Along with the proper diet, my stepbrother have to be able to provide enough space and activities to keep Iya's happy and healthy.Along with the proper diet, my stepbrother have to be able to provide enough space and activities to keep Iya's happy and healthy.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh wow, @Dale711! That fox is so beautiful. I hadn't heard of it before, thanks for sharing.

(Btw while searching to find out more about foxes I came across a few videos of foxes "laughing" that are pretty good, I think it's worth the search.)

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

This is soooo precious @Dale711  the Fennic Fox and the picture with your niece. Really amazing to see such a delicate creature. Thank you to your family for taking such good care. xxxxxxxx

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Liv  Great topic

@Annahow old are your deer?
Which breed are they?

Have you hand reared them?
Cool property.

@Dale711trust you!!
BTW, slight correction, I think you may mean your niece, not nephew 🙂

and of course love those animals in your property Lawrene

Salut @Helen427 ,

How silly am I ? 
Thank you 🤣🤣🤣
#&*$@%#&*$@%

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Your 'bucket list' @Dale711 ??

Tres amusant!!   Very sweet and self-effacing. Really made me laugh xxxxxxxx But I don't agree. Suis pas d'accord...! Je prefere de voir votre tete en plein vue! La visage je vieux dire.

Anna
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 unfortunately I have no idea - the deers are wild and just come into the garden from time to time to pay me a visit 😉 

Vielen Dank für die gemeinsame Zeit im Community Center! Begrüßt die neue Community Managerin Juliane HIER.  Klickt HIER, um eine Unterhaltung mit anderen Mitgliedern zu beginnen. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love this topic @Liv, but with my listing being at the centre of Athens, unfortunately, there isn't any wildlife around it. Of course, I could not, not comment on a thread with animals so I'll share an experience from a few years ago here in the UK.

One afternoon this guy showed up on my kitchen window, and as I was preparing diner, I decided to give him a chip (the photos are from that very first encounter). My decision resulted in him visiting every single day around the same time. He would even knock on the glass if he hadn't spotted him to ask for his treat.

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.43.20.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.40.13.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.40.00.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.39.23.png

Needless to say, Tricky was very interested in him. He was waiting patiently by the window for him to show up.

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.51.00.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.51.14.png

We moved to a new flat eventually, but I am still picturing the seagull "haunting" the new tenants and demanding food. Oops!

Channa2
Level 2
Colombo, Sri Lanka

I'm in Colombo, Srilanka.

It's a good news to know about the World Wildlife Day !

Nearly 20 years I do planting endemic and indigenous trees in my 14 perches home garden. Now people call it as an tiny urban forest : )

There is a pond for the frogs. Pots for the bees. Logs for the cavity nesting birds. Bird's Barth.  Bat feeder. Compost heap...

My Airbnb guests don't have to leave the house to embrace nature ! 

I read somewhere : 

' wildlife gardening is no longer about attracting fauna in to your garden , but allowing species to survive. There is increasingly no where else they can live. We still suffer from the sense that wildlife is something that happens elsewhere '

Channa.ekanayake
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thank you sooo much @Channa2 . I am inspired by this. Yes its true (I confess..!!).

Ekanayake xx