World Wildlife Day‌‌

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

World Wildlife Day‌‌

Liv_0-1614874246435.png

Hey everyone,

March 3rd marked the World Wildlife  Day, a date dedicated to raising awareness towards the world’s wild fauna and flora by keeping sustainable development in mind. 

As we think of different ways of leading more sustainable lives, I believe this is a great opportunity for us to celebrate the extraordinary diversity of wildlife that our planet has to offer. 

If you live in a big city, you might have been pleasantly surprised by wild animals taking to the streets during lockdown - a good reminder that animals have always lived around the area. I also know that for many of you, wildlife spotting is not unusual, as several of your listings are surrounded by nature. 

As a way of celebrating this date and reflecting on its importance, it would be great to hear your stories and experiences regarding fauna and flora in your surroundings.

Are there any wild animals near your listing? Have you got any great wildlife pictures to share?

Thanks,

Liv

45 Replies 45
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Channa2 

Would you be so kind to share some photos?
Your place sounds gorgeous and relaxing.

I miss having frogs in the city, we used to have them on the volcanic cones/ Domains until the Council gor contratcors in to remove them - they smashed our beautiful hand crafted concrete troughs all over the what is now Auckland city..

We do still have the ocassional one up in Exhibition Hall Gardens that I've yet to see! and had hoped to see on the Water Lily pads when we were there recently
We must go a searching for it again in winter

IMG_20210315_145120.jpg

The main pond designed for the frogs

Channa.ekanayake

IMG_20210315_145142.jpg

 smaller rock pond

Channa.ekanayake

IMG_20210315_145416.jpg

 a clay pot tied to a tree trunk for the honey bees

Channa.ekanayake

IMG_20210315_145513.jpg

 a wooden log, hanging on a tree trunk for the cavity nesting birds.

Channa.ekanayake
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY  to all for the 8th March xxxxxxxxxxx

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Liv  Sorry I’m late in replying.

Did start to post be we had to evacuate because of a tsunami warning .

But this is one of my favorite little guys .

Not particularly cute but I love them . Its a Kauri snail and they are critically endangered due to predators.

Im moving soon and my section has them. 
Was planning a build to incorporate guests but now I’m blocked it doesn’t matter .

Its been a lovely journey though 🙂 Kauri snailKauri snail

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

That is so beautiful and amazing xxxxxx

Sadly, I found out about it too late

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Update on the wildlife: 

First, occasionally a red fox strolls through the yard, but I noticed one suddenly had mange and felt very sorry for it. I contacted  a local wildlife rehab Keeper of the Wild, and they put me in touch with another rescue group with instrucitons on treating foxes with mange. I ordered the meds, and put of pet food. The fox will start eating the  pet food and add the meds to it to kill the mange. I also ordered a trail camera to see what kind of wildlife was active and to know if the fox was eating the pet food. I didn't see the fox again but the local rescue group has rescued a number of wild injured and orphaned animals including an injured fox. (Maybe the one I saw?) and four baby foxes they will rehab to release back into the wild. A guest also took a picture of the hawk that likes the bird bath in the back. Its also fun to check the trail camera to see what animals were there at night. 

fox 2.jpegbaby foxes.jpeghawk.jpegIMG_1174.jpgIM_00082.JPG

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wonderful @John5097 

@Mary996 

This is the website, blog, on how to treat foxes with mange. They are located in upstate New York. I also read somewhere else that in some part of England mange killed 95% of the foxes, so I was very distraught about my fox with mange. 

http://www.foxwoodwildliferescue.org/2017/01/05/treating-sarcoptic-mange-in-red-foxes/

I thought of @Dale711 post about his fox, as I recall they rescued one, and  from another post, his story about Aesop's Fables about sour grapes. 

For some history this was my third review from my guest. 

"Wonderful place! We couldn't have enjoyed our stay more in John's beautiful and tranquil guest space. It really does feel like you are staying in the middle of a nature reserve or bird sanctuary. I saw egrets and other wading birds all day long, and even watched as a fox casually passed though the backyard one morning. As the house is on a tidal creek, the water levels rise and fall throughout the day. A huge old twisted oak tree covered in spanish moss makes the view even more romantic and conveys the sense of place the Charleston has. Location is excellent, very quiet and no traffic noise, yet it is only a 15 minute drive to the heart of downtown and the historic district. Inside, the cozy guest space has everything you need; comfortable bed, convection over/microwave (there is no stove), cooking utensils, etc. The interior is uncluttered, spacious, cozy, and clean, with brand new appliances and amenities. Arrival and entry is a breeze and John was a quick and friendly communicator. I highly recommend this place for those people who want to explore Charleston but also prefer natural settings and tranquility."

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wonderful @John5097 

I treated our wild horses and foxes some years back on the local commons and found a homeopathic treatment that worked well. We used to use Ivermectin for horses and of course its been used against co vid.

Oral Sarcoptic Mange Treatment Dogs, Horses, Pets, Foxes & Wildlife

£16.99

eBay UK

Sarcoptic Mange Treatment Kit Dogs Cats Horses Foxes Ferrets Assisi

£24.99

eBay UK
Free shipping

Nelsons Clikpak Thuja Pillules 30C 84 Pillules

£6.25

Holland & Barrett UK

15Ml Sarcoptic Mange Treatment & Itchy Skin Dogs Cats Pets, 100%

£14.99

eBay UK
Free shipping

Equus Health Homeopathic Thuja - 200C - Sarcoids

£5.99

Redpost Equestrian

Sarcoptic Mange Homeopathy Treatment Kit Ferrets Dogs Horses Assisi

£17.99

eBay UK

@Mary996 Good stuff! Thats very interesting. Makes me feel better that others are treating foxes. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I got an extra bottle of the Ivermectin, and was only $20. I'll donate one and keep one incase the fox reappears. 

Or if guest comes down with covid can always inject them with a dose. JK 🙂 I didn't even know that it was used for covid. 

Thankfully, our area has numerous drop off locations at local vets for injured wild animals at no cost, and volunteer drivers transport them to the right rehab place. The injured fox above was hit by a car and was crying in the road when a good summation stoped and rescued it. 

I put out pet food right away to try and keep the fox around until the Ivermectin arrived. I spotted him across the street in the photo above so was hopeful but when I set up the trail camera it was just raccoons eating the pet food. 

I haven't contacted Keepers of the Wild so its possible it could have been the same one. Also I'm glad they get a lot of support in the community, and we have a place to take injured animals.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I agree.. there are so many good souls looking out for wild animals. Funny about the human use of ivermectin but the very best treatment is IV Vitamin C. Was successfully used in China and other places and we could all use more anti-oxidants!! 

Really appreciate all this info and thank you for your intervention.