Can I list my timeshare condo ?

Answered!

Can I list my timeshare condo ?

Hi,

I have a few timeshare condos in Hawaii and Marbella.  I couldn't find rules against listing them, so I did.  Is it accepted by AirBnB?  How do you manage cancellation and reservation?

Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

@Carol70 

Absolutely.

Find out if your HOA allows it.

Mike from West Palm

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

What an interesting question, and really it opens up a whole new market.    I can't imagine that you'd have any trouble because of course your calendar would only be open for those dates assigned to you.    You might get booked up within five minutes of listing, or you might not get a single bite.  

So many people (me included) feel suckered in after buying a timeshare and then are stuck with it, so it's a wonderful idea to salvage something and maybe cover your expenses.

I own quite a bit of time at the Westin Mission Hills Villas in Rancho Mirage, CA which is between Palm Springs and Coachella. There are number of high demand events in the area during the winter/spring season. I can provide multiple units on the same or overlapping dates. How is this handled on AirBnB? I ask since the model is a calendar for 1 unit (as I understand the system).

Thanks!

Susheela0
Level 1
United States

Thanks for some advise on Time share.  Please can anyone tell me, is there any letter required for guest(renter) to rent my Timeshare.  I have time Share at Vacation Village in Orlando & I would like to List in Airanb to meet my yearly expense to maintain it! So please help me to list this.  I got stuck with this.  Will hosting in Airanb help Us? Thank you for any tips you provide.

I have one in Vacation village Weston and trying to do the same!

Angie361
Level 2
Encinitas, CA

Same question as everyone else.  I have two weeks in Newport Coast Villas Marriott time share.  One week in the summer and another during the XMAS holidays.  Any experiences out there in advertising on AIRBNB and leasing out those weeks?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angie361  I can't imagine how listing a time-share on Airbnb would work. What if the guests trash the place when they stay during "your" week? Who is going to be held responsible for that and how will the other time-share holders feel if the place isn't left in a useable state? It would seem that all the time-share owners would have to agree to this with some kind of contract where you'd be held respnsible for any damages.

I have heard this can be done.  However,  I am not sure "how".  

Janell138
Level 1
California, United States

Most resorts want a credit card to hold for damages and that would have to come from the guest who is staying there. 

I understand your point. I live in NYC and did AIRBNB for a couple months. The worst I have seen was they didn't put our their own trash and left stuff all over the place.

Thomas386
Level 2
San Diego, CA

As I wrote above I own quite a bit of time at the Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage, CA (in the Greater Palm Springs area).

As for the concern about what if "guests trash the place" this is not an issue since Mission Hills is managed by Westin (a major near luxury brand that is now part of Marriott). If the guests do "trash" the place Westin will gladly charge their credit card exorbitant amounts to repair the damage and they have extra furniture and fixtures in storage for this situation. Also at this price point it is  less likely to happen (but people with money can act like idiots too).

Now if you own in an old school timeshare where there is not the management infrastructure Westin brings it could be a different situation.

thanks for your comments.  Ironically, I have homes both in the SD area and on the golf course at the Mission Hills Westin!  Small world.  

I am not sure what you mean by "Now if you own in an old school timeshare where there is not the management infrastructure Westin brings it could be a different situation."  We do have a what I think is a traditional Marriott Timeshare, purchased about 15 years ago.  Probably the stupidest financial decision we ever made.

@Thomas386  But how would that work if the place is listed on Airbnb? The hosts aren't allowed to take guest's credit card info or charge them outside the platform, so how would Westin be able to charge them for damages?

@Sarah977 As with the timeshare I have listed on here, the resort takes the guests credit card at check in on site.  They Resort is not charging the guest for the Airbnb stuff, that's between you and the guest that booked through Airbnb.  The Resort takes the credit card for incidentals like restaurant charges, activites, and the such that are charged to the unit while they are at the resort.  No different then when you check in at the resort yourself or at a hotel.

Thanks for your experiences Thomas.