Property Registration and Legal Permit in India

Mansi0
Level 1
Bengaluru, India

Property Registration and Legal Permit in India

Hello all you wonderful hosts in India!

I hope you are having a great time hosting interesting people and shariang exciting experiences!

My question is about legality of hosting a property on Airbnb in India and the permits/registration required to do so. From Airbnb’s website, I understand that hosts are responsible for communicating this with the local government.  I have contacted the Ministry of Tourism office, here in Bangalore, who suggested registration of a property listing for home-stay or bed and breakfasts is not mandatory and establishments can be run without any restriction.

However, after going through the section under Responsible Hosting - Registration of Guests ( https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/responsible-hosting ), I believe the regulations in India require maintaining a register for guest check-in and check-out records. Furthermore, there are certain forms like Form C  and Form F , which property and listing details need to be mentioned. This contradicts the statement by the representative from the Ministry of Tourism and the ambiguity still prevails.

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experiences and advise on how you have gone about the legality of your listing registration, permits and guest records.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Mansi

131 Replies 131
Akshay29
Level 2
Kolkata, India

Hi,

I am from Kolkata and would like to know the legal requirements for hosting an apartment. Thankyou

Akshay

Saumya2
Level 2
Redmond, WA

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in hosting a flat in Jaipur (very close to the airport). Per my understanding, the following documents are required. Can anyone advise if this looks correct to begin with?

1) NOC from property manager (to ensure no objection for guests to use common areas such as lift, parking, common amenities etc.)

2) Maintaining a register for all guests (entry, exit dates etc. similar to that in a hotel)

3) Form C for foreign nationals

4) Taking care of general rules such as guests cause no nuisance, damage to property etc.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Saumya

Sure.  Regarding this we can discuss on my Whatsapp

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Airbnb does not ask you to submit these documents to them. However, if there is any dispute later between you and the property manager, and they guests are inconvenienced, then you are liable for the bad review to your account from the guest and refund of booking charges to the guest through Airbnb.

Need Advise !!!

I'm from Kerala owning a reconstructed , ancient central kerala style wooden nalukettu.

Currently this house complex is registered as residential(still paying luxury tax).

Total built area 6000SqFeet, inclusive of open sitout area which covers 4500Sqfeet .However, it was also considered for sqfeet calculation.)

Its under panchayath limits, But when checked with Tourism department, they allow homestays or BnB to Couples/family only, Considering I'm single. What other alternative I have? I have few thoughts below, please suggest ?

1) Register as commercial  and run as resort( This will have Commercial luxury charges , which will add burden of 45000/- per annum)

2) Lease it to a caretaker family , then run homestay

Go with incredible india bnb program . May be this will lay off your extra luxury tax charges

Airbnb does not have these rules. India tourism asks for it because the policy is for a guest to stay at the residence of a family with a working kitchen. The family need not be a husband wife combination. It could be you staying with your parents or siblings, and they do not check the relationship of the various members staying inside the house. I think it should not be difficult for you to get your house under tourism department.

Hi ! I am planning to register my 2 BHK furnished apartment in Siliguri . Kindly provide the details regarding the registration and the documents required i if any . Will be of great help . My number is

. Thank You . 

If listing on Airbnb, you don't need any documents. You just list it online and have to provide your bank details. It's very simple, but takes a few days to get published.

Prateek5
Level 1
Gurgaon, India

Hey guys any one knows about any regulations in Himachal 

Hello,

I am a senior citizen and trying to find out local regulations and procedures at Howrah,West Bengal . I have activated for form C  and would like to join with all those who have successfully hosting through Airbnb at Howrah.Nearest tourist spot- Botanic Garden, 

Nirmal
Seema13
Level 2
Noida, India

Hi my issue is same I am not clear about instructions or rules regarding this, even I want to know

@Mansi0 wrote:

Hello all you wonderful hosts in India!

I hope you are having a great time hosting interesting people and shariang exciting experiences!

My question is about legality of hosting a property on Airbnb in India and the permits/registration required to do so. From Airbnb’s website, I understand that hosts are responsible for communicating this with the local government.  I have contacted the Ministry of Tourism office, here in Bangalore, who suggested registration of a property listing for home-stay or bed and breakfasts is not mandatory and establishments can be run without any restriction.

However, after going through the section under Responsible Hosting - Registration of Guests ( https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/responsible-hosting ), I believe the regulations in India require maintaining a register for guest check-in and check-out records. Furthermore, there are certain forms like Form C  and Form F , which property and listing details need to be mentioned. This contradicts the statement by the representative from the Ministry of Tourism and the ambiguity still prevails.

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experiences and advise on how you have gone about the legality of your listing registration, permits and guest records.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Mansi

each and every detail of this to run airbnb successful nd safely. 

Hello,

Let's discuss the matter 

Kindly Whatsapp me on

Did you get inputs here ? Can you share the process followed by you ?

Nirja0
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Hi guys, 

I was facing some issues from the society regarding hosting on Airbnb. 
Mine is a 1 bedroom shared in an apartment listing. 
However after consulting a lawyer, I have applied for the Incredible India Bed and Breakfast/ Homestay Scheme. 
This is directly from the Tourism of India 
And have informed my society about the same. 
The also tried to get legal council involved (who informed them that with proper registration we can operate) 
So currently they are cooperating. 
Please note - this does not require any society NOC.
I hope this helps others like me!